• 150,000-160,000
    • 160,000-170,000
    • 170,000-180,000
    • 180,000-190,000
    • 190,000-200,000+

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not a legacy... but my old 96 outback sport (which my dad now uses as a beater) has 198,xxx on it. the only thing that has been changed is the timing belt. (even still has the original oil ;))

I hope this is a joke :eek:

^ I love that car. Probably the best looking bd on the site IMO. I'd like to see it in person some day.

I just hit 168k the other day. And no rust other than the places it's been hit.

Replaced timing belt, ignition coil, plugs, wires, brakes, rotors, exhaust, rear diff, a solenoid, rear bearings, and factory stereo (volume button sticking which caused crackling).

what happens after 999,999 miles?

i am 30,000 miles away from 300,000 miles

Same here; 272+k; owned since 223k, three years. Believe original engine and A/T. Uses scant oil. I recently tried to ruin the A/T running bad tires, new tires (oversized btw :) seem to help greatly. I change ATF frequently, and at last drain (before new tires), found too much metal shavings in the mix. Hence, the brilliant brain I posess eventually switched on and told me to buy new tires IMMEDIATELY!

I think I got 205/65/14"s vs stock size of 185/70/14". They are 5% greater in diameter; 62mph = 65mph. Improvement in ride, priceless...

I have been spared the head gasket projects thus far, but, coincidently, a friend with an '05 Outback just stranded her car in a hicktown on US 95 in Cali, where a two tooth mechanic is holding it hostage; told her needs new engine, I told her must be head gasket.

Time to rescue that car. I began today by seeking information on towing her car with a dolly (my manual says I can if I insert the FWD fuse w/key position set to 'acc'; does this also go for her '05?).

Same here; 272+k; owned since 223k, three years. Believe original engine and A/T. Uses scant oil. I recently tried to ruin the A/T running bad tires, new tires (oversized btw :) seem to help greatly. I change ATF frequently, and at last drain (before new tires), found too much metal shavings in the mix. Hence, the brilliant brain I posess eventually switched on and told me to buy new tires IMMEDIATELY!

I think I got 205/65/14"s vs stock size of 185/70/14". They are 5% greater in diameter; 62mph = 65mph. Improvement in ride, priceless...

I have been spared the head gasket projects thus far, but, coincidently, a friend with an '05 Outback just stranded her car in a hicktown on US 95 in Cali, where a two tooth mechanic is holding it hostage; told her needs new engine, I told her must be head gasket.

Time to rescue that car. I began today by seeking information on towing her car with a dolly (my manual says I can if I insert the FWD fuse w/key position set to 'acc'; does this also go for her '05?).

Yes, if she has a 2.5 N/A. You can't with turbos or H6's.

Wow, I'm doing my HGs this weekend. The trans slips a bit shifting into 3rd, so I imagine some trans work is in the very near future as well.

How did the job go? A friend has HG problem (stranded in Needles, CA with a three toothed mechanic) on a '05 Outy. I wonder how doable these jobs are on these engines...

Yes, if she has a 2.5 N/A. You can't with turbos or H6's.

Nooob; is N/A mean "not automatic" ?

She must have the 2.5L w/ A/T, AWD for sure right?

After going thru many posts here, can't decide if I would need to disco the driveshaft or no. Sounds pretty involved.

I assume this rescue will involve a 300 mile return leg. May only even be able to rent a dolly, to be pulled by an '06 Jeep Wrangler w/V6; M/T. I know it could pull the Outback on a carrier, but Uhaul.com computes the Jeep not heavy enough. A carrier would have brakes; seems better than dolley.

People also mention legal implications; Man, I pulled a crazy loaded trailer moving from CO to AZ with my Legacy; I had no business pulling so heavy. Not heavier than the car, but...

N/A is for Naturaly Aspirated (hope spelling is good)

F/I is for Forced Induction (like turbo and superchager)

edit: Just to add

You'll see more "MT" releated to Manual Transmission (Sometime like 5MT, for 5 speed manual transmission) or AT for Automatic Transmission (sometime there's 5EAT, I know it's 5 speed automatic transmission, but I don't know for the "E", must be for the manual mode)

When I said N/A, I basically meant no turbo. It also must be an automatic. The manual transmissions have a permanent 50/50 split. The automatics use clutch packs in the transmission to disperse the torque to the front and back. They don't recommend driving it for long periods of time like that though. Best bet would be to have someone you know with a AAA membership tow it on a flat bed.

4eat is 4spd electronically controlled automatic transmission. You can find most of the acronyms listed here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

I would suggest you read all of this before asking more questions about this kind of stuff. There are a ton of members on here who will basically bite your head off for asking basic questions. Just figured I would give you a heads up.:rolleyes:

You can also find a lot of informative information :lol: at this website on subaru automatic transmissions (specifically the 4eat which is equipped in the vehicle you are talking about).

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/Ft4EATTransmissionsW98.pdf

Good Luck

03-02-09 one mile away from rolling over 270,000 miles... i have different size tires on my car to.

Hehe, I've got miles on mine that are unaccounted for as my speedo was crapping in and out. Probably 500 of em.

My first car was a 92 Subaru Loyale....bought it at auction for $500 bucks with 225,000 miles...on my way home the transmission gave out (auto) so i had it towed to a toyota dealership...where they gave me $800 on a trade for a camry:lol:

p.s. how do u have a 95 with 272k on it?

LOL; I got it 3-4 years ago @ 223K; previous owner had just put all new brakes X4 and 80k Michelins on it before being ass ended. Ahole I bought it from picked it up at auction, halfassed fixed the rear corner and hood, tried to sell for $3200; I gave him $1000.

Most of the miles I have run were on courier job in last year; 1k miles/week. Dunno the complete history of the car, but believe the original tranny and engine. Now I am feeling lucky, especially for having no head gasket issues yet, but, are '95's particularly problematic?

The friend's car apparently needed a whole new engine, and we will not be doing the tow job after all. Don't know why; is her '05 2.5L likely and interference engine?

The 95 Legacy L wasn't as notorious for head gasket issues as the 2.5s did. Those engines are bulletproof.

I believe the 05 2.5s are interference.

I guess I got lucky with this particular engine. Sure I am due for a new T-belt; would be better than being stranded, but, seems a bit intimidating. Will seek tips on job / do searches later; find out recommended parts/tips etc. Hopefully can do before it gets hot here again...

I guess I got lucky with this particular engine. Sure I am due for a new T-belt; would be better than being stranded' date=' but, seems a bit intimidating. Will seek tips on job / do searches later; find out recommended parts/tips etc. Hopefully can do before it gets hot here again...[/quote']

If you do the timing belt take the time to do the tensioner as well. Someone on here had theirs shier off the block. I have heard of idlers going around 180k, and the water pump is a good idea too. Mine seized up and ate the timing belt.

Archived