• 110,000-120,000
    • 130,000-140,000
    • 140,000-150,000
    • 150,000-160,000
    • 160,000-170,000
    • 170,000-180,000
    • 180,000-190,000
    • 190,000-200,000+

My midpipe is bad on my exhaust and I had a CEL for it. I reset the code it was throwing and inspected it. Passed emissions fine.

I got my final temp plate for my car (they only give you 2 10 day plates) I'm going to order my center pipe tomorrow (it has a large leak) in the event that it does not come within 10 days will they fail you with a exhaust leak?

right now I'm getting two CEL's one because my water pump is not flowing coolant and the other is the knock sensor which is not going to be a big deal I hope.

and oh yeah at 198,161 right.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your water pump is not flowing coolant? WTF? That can't be good...

Knock sensor can be bad too.. if it is actually knocking. I think the sensor dies more often than the engine actually knocks though :lol:

The only problem I have is second O2 sensor, but I just reset it every 2 months when it comes on :lol:

Easier (and cheaper) than crawling under my car to replace it :rolleyes:

And I still can't vote on my mileage because I'm not up to 100k yet

1996 Legacy Wagon 284,557 miles!

Was being driven daily until the clutch cable broke on Sunday. Anyone have any experience replacing one of these?

I have done all the maint. on the car since the suby dealer charged me $1000 to replace the clutch @ 157,xxx miles. I recently did the second clutch change myself, took two days and had to borrow a second floor jack.

1996 Legacy Wagon 284,557 miles!

Was being driven daily until the clutch cable broke on Sunday. Anyone have any experience replacing one of these?

I have done all the maint. on the car since the suby dealer charged me $1000 to replace the clutch @ 157,xxx miles. I recently did the second clutch change myself, took two days and had to borrow a second floor jack.

I have done clutch. Pulled the engine. how is the rest of the car holding up? engine? tranny?

I have a 1996 that just turned 96,000 today... So I'm interested in what you have had to do to keep the thing running.

:rolleyes: 1996, JUST turned 96k. PLEEEEEZE drive your car more! I'm at 112k on mine now;).

I'm hoping to keep mine running for at least another 100k. I drive around daily wondering if and when the turbo or alternator are going to go. those are the last two to be replaced. actively looking for a good used turbo.

I have a 1996 that just turned 96,000 today... So I'm interested in what you have had to do to keep the thing running.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I have done clutch. Pulled the engine. how is the rest of the car holding up? engine? tranny?

Overall the car is in good shape considering the first 5 years of use was spent in Vermont with a lot of dirt and gravel roads.

The manual transmission is still in good shape, the synchronizer for 2nd gear is a little worn so it can be tough to shift on cold days.

The engine is in need of head gasket replacement. When driven on the highway the "cylinder #3 misfire" odbc code comes up periodically.

Maintenance:

I just followed the scheduled maintenance within common sense.

I have found that the timing belt can go more than 100k between replacement. I don't recommend this for anyone else, and I don't have the nerve to find out how far past.

Repairs:

@ 200k I replaced the struts, I would not recommend waiting that long :rolleyes:! The ride quality was greatly improved.

@ 220k I replaced the front half shafts, both had split CV joint boots.

@ 250k Second clutch. I taught both of my kids to drive with this car between 157k and that point, so that wore it out.

@ 280k it failed safety inspection for a front wheel bearing. I ended up having to change the spindle because the old one was fried before we found the failure.

Some minor stuff along the way. The fuel pump was unexpectedly easy to change.

^^ wow, surprisingly little work for such a high mileage car. I have a good amount of life left in mine then :D

As for timing belt... my water pump seized at 92,062 miles and broke the timing belt.

Just an FYI, the SOHC engine 1996 and before are non-interference, so they can survive loss of timing and still live.

anyone know how to roll back the odom.??

prob take the gauge cluster apart... and im sure you can figure it out from there.

my 97 legacy L is at 155,400 miles.

and running strong.. cept why cant i beat hawndas?

it used to be a rental car and i feel like the tranny is slipping a bit...

and i feel like it has about 90 hp left.... is there anyway to restore some of it...

It is pretty easy to mess with the odom. I swapped a gauge cluster for someone, so I messed with it to get it to the same mileage as before. Just so you know, it is illegal to mess with it, and try to sell it with looking like it has less miles than it does...

• 3 weeks later...
got 111k on my turbo. Debating changing it out soon to be proactive. last checked at 95k my mechanic said it looked solid.

begs the question how long should I keep it in?

I have the same dilemma with 140K on my original turbo. The common sense is telling me to buy the new one and replace it ASAP before it too late. On the other hand the turbo, knock to the wood, works just fine.

yeah, so does mine. but when it goes, I don't want it to take more with it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I am taking a chance...

The trick is to turn the engine immediately off when the turbo gets disintegrated. No matter where you are - just stop the engine. Few more seconds and the oil will send turbo bearing(s) derbies to the oil pan and further to the oil system damaging everything on its way.

• 2 weeks later...

186,000 today and so far the car has had timing belt and water pump (I hope from the previous owner.) With me, a fresh set of tires, few oil changes, replaced whistling muffler, RR wheel bearing replaced, alternator, battery, trans & diff fluid changed.

I put 10K on it, got it at 176 and the exhaust is now staring to leak somewhere close to the engine.

Oh, and the shifter is so sloppy It's very difficult to shift but I'll take care of that soon when I get my tax back.

These cars are terrific for longevity! I have the 2.2L with a 5 speed, and mines a 98.

148K on the odometer. Not bad considering I only paid $700 (Then put about $800+ of parts into it, nevermind all the time it took me to install those parts....)

I know it isn't a Subaru, but the highest mileage on a vehicle I've ever owned was a 1990 Dodge W350 truck with a Cummins turbo diesel and a Getrag 5 speed tranny. Dana 70 axles front and rear. That thing was a beast. I got 300,000 miles out of it before someone lit it on fire after I got her stuck in 3 feet of mud at a claypit while off-roading.

My 1999 legacy GT has 171,110 and just replaced the engine last month after it thru a rod. It all started with a code for cylinder 4 miss fire. Then the valves went bad and had them rebuilt. After a few thousand miles the rod went. I think she is ready for another 150K :p

Threw a rod?! How did you manage that? And are those JDM foggers on that gorgeous '99? :)
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Ah. From your avatar they looked sorta JDM-ish... I've put in my JDMs recently. The removal of the old and mounting of the new fogs is fairly straight forward. Cutting the bumper, however, is somewhat of a pain to get exactly perfect. I b0rk3d my fog holes in my bumper a little but have another to replace it with later. If you have any questions about it while doing it, let me know.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived