LegacyGT.com

Premium gasoline recommended?

freak

Premium is +.25 where I live and .25x15g=$3.75x2 fillups/week x 4weeks/month=$30/month. I'd rather spend the $30 on something else.

Honestly dude, just buy a Hyundai or an old Civic VX.

If you are indeed filling up twice a week then you are putting major mileage on your car and commuting a ton. A turbo Legacy would be a bad choice if this is true and you are trying to save a buck.

Hell, even the N/A Legacy isn't a mileage champ. No AWD car will be.

I stand by the fact that you should be getting some sub-2 litre 4 cyleinder car that gets you 40mpg on the highway.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still researching buying a legacy and I noticed today that cars.com listed "Premium gasoline recommended" as a dislike. I've never seen that before but there is no way I am going to buy premium gas. Does this car need it?

I can see you in a Corolla. Seriously- if this is your mindset don't even look at Subarus.

Sidebar; Hi all. Been lurking for a while but this put me over the edge so I had to register. ;)

freak- heres what i would do if i were you.

get a beater and get your turbo legacy.

i daily drive my miata. takes regular and gets 28mpg. then i have fun on the weekends in the subie. at upper 400 hp levels, im still getting 18mpg. sounds like you do a crapload of driving, a 4 cylinder beater doing 30mpg would be awesome.

the biggest difference is not regular versus premium gas. it's 35mpg versus 20mpg.

car for sale. PM me!

Premium is +.25 where I live and .25x15g=$3.75x2 fillups/week x 4weeks/month=$30/month. I'd rather spend the $30 on something else.

If you are worried about that, you shouldn't even be looking at a GT. GT's if you are lucky might get 25 mpg, more like 22-23 mpg if you drive normal. Drive it hard, get ready to see high teens.

hellzyeah

like I said though, the practical side of me comes out now that I'm a father :redface:

No excuse. I'm a father of 2 and the only practical thing I did with my wagon is limit it to 340whp on 91 cali. :) I get from the hi 20's to low 30's on the highway doing 75mph.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm still researching buying a legacy and I noticed today that cars.com listed "Premium gasoline recommended" as a dislike. I've never seen that before but there is no way I am going to buy premium gas. Does this car need it?

it's your car. do as you want.

i'd recommend stage 2 with 87 octane for best reuslts.

if you're not willing to maintain the car properly, do not buy one.

a turbo needs higher octane, it's not optional, it's a requirement for that powerplant.

a non-turbo will suit your needs perfectly, and if you install a cold air intake and a grounding kit, it will be just as fast as a turbo model. i had a non-turbo 2006 sedan before trading it in on my 2007 LGT.....

good luck which ever direction you go....

I can see you in a Corolla. Seriously- if this is your mindset don't even look at Subarus.

Sidebar; Hi all. Been lurking for a while but this put me over the edge so I had to register. ;)

Really? So if I don't want the turbo I shouldn't get a subaru at all? I suppose no one buys the special edition. I'm not buying this as a car to keep my foot mashed to the floor. I need a reliable gotowork car and want a stick and awd will be nice since we live way out and get our share of snow/ice. Am I in the wrong place? Is this just for the fast and furious types? I was hoping to get some good info on the legacy here.

i think most members just came to the conclusion that with the mileage you have on your commutes it wouldn't exactly be worth it to pursue a vehicle with an all-wheel drive powertrain if you were considering fuel economy to be one of your priorities on your next vehicle purchase.

i have the 2.5i and honestly the gas mileage isn't that much better than the GT, actually i end up putting in premium most of the time or at least 89 since i find the car seems to run a bit smoother with the higher octane. in the long run with everything that comes with car ownership in comparison to the amount you spend on maintenance, insurance etc the cost between premium vs regular fuel is almost nil in the end

Really? So if I don't want the turbo I shouldn't get a subaru at all? I suppose no one buys the special edition. I'm not buying this as a car to keep my foot mashed to the floor. I need a reliable gotowork car and want a stick and awd will be nice since we live way out and get our share of snow/ice. Am I in the wrong place? Is this just for the fast and furious types? I was hoping to get some good info on the legacy here.

if thats all you are looking for then the a 2.5i NA legacy is what you should be looking at, not the Turbo 2.5GT.

You can get the 2.5i with a manual and it doesnt need premium gas.

Problem solved

I'm getting ~20mpg now with my Avenger and Explorer and I can live with that. My F250 gets about 15 but I don't drive it much. I never said mpg was a priority, just that I didn't want to buy premium. This will replace the Avenger.

Do understand that the "do I have to use premium gas" question comes up quite a lot here, and just about always in the context of the turbo models. People complain about it before they buy the car, after they buy the car, and some even try running 89 octane on it and wonder why the car runs like crap and their warranty claims are denied.

I think a lot of the "you can't be serious" attitude responses are people assuming that you're looking at a turbo model; is that something you desire? The 2.5i models don't require premium gas and the 3.0's only suggest it (source), but neither are stellar MPG cars (in their class) for a daily commuter. If the AWD and other Subaru specific features grab your attention (or if you you want a turbo to have some fun), it's all a question of pay-to-play.

My girlfriend gets ~10-15MPG more driving her '01 Civic every day than I do, but she doesn't enjoy the Civic anywhere near as much as the Subie. I considered it an absolute joy to spend over $500 a month in gas the first few months I had my car. $30/mo more is a drop in the bucket for the fun the car brings to my life, and that's what it really boils down to.

I tell you what... the more I read here the more I worry about reliability. I see all kinds of posts about squeaks/rattles/head gaskets/wheel bearings. I drove my Avenger 200K with only brakes/tires/wires/plugs/oil. I replaced the timing belt at 80K as pm and put in a new water pump too since it was easy but it didn't need it. Could the legacy do that? I love the legacy looks.

As is true with any internet forum, people with problems are much more vocal than people without problems; they're looking for solutions. There are over a hundred thousand threads on this forum - if you can find a thousand threads about a problem that's still only 1% of the threads posted. Also keep in mind that the search functionality makes it *much* easier for people with questions or problems to consolidate negative data.

Sources indicate that the overall reliability of Subaru is better than Dodge, and other than the most recent crop of engine problems (which is likely factored into the aforementioned survey), the reported problems are generally quite minor and not the kind that effect usability. Subaru's current 2.5L turbo engine has won awards for years as the best engine in its category, to boot.

As a slightly more direct answer to your questions: head gaskets aren't an issue for the latest engines, only the last-gen 2.5L, although the complaints about squeaks/rattles are totally valid. Wheel bearings may go, but maybe once every 75,000 miles and generally on the turbo models where people are thrashing their car a bit more than a regular commuter would. I've had my car for just over a year (purchased new) and other than some minor rattles it's been flawless, even at stage 2 with many cosmetic mods and several stints up over a buck thirty on not-so-pristine track.

My car didn't break down today. Nothing wrong with it at whatsoever.

Just thought you all should know.

(Now, imagine a forum where people posted that whenever it happened.)

What, did you finally get it running right Mr. 850cc Injectors And FMIC On A Stock Turbo At Stock Boost? :lol:

:hide:

And yes, we know each other IRL

Archived