LegacyGT.com

Legacy mushy brake pedal due to teeny master cylinder?

RyanE

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brembo's do not fit behind stock wheels without a spacer.

what MM spacer?? I'll price out both set and see which one fit.

Stoptech st-40 328x28 fits under '05 wheels.

who got this 328x28 set up ??

everywhere I've seen are bigger. (332x32)

http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Stoptech-Legacy-GT-332mm-Frt-Big-Brake-Kit&Category_Code=Subaru-Legacy-GT-big-brake-kit&Store_Code=ii

Finally the salt on the roads is worn away, so I took my summer car out for a ride today- a 1994 Audi Cabriolet. I forgot how absolutely superior the Audi brakes are compared to my Legacy GT setup. There is no comparison, from initial bite, to modulation, to stopping distance. And this is a floating caliper setup with stock calipers, stock Brembo rotors ($20 each) and Pagid street pads. It just blows away my Leg GT w/ Stoptech stainless, RBF600, Stoptech slotted rotors and Stoptech performance pads. Cars are roughly the same weight with the same tires. I would need a Stoptech BBK or even Alcon to equal the braking of my 17 year old Audi w/ original calipers --- just shameful on the part of Subaru.

Same thing in my 98 M3. Stock brakes, floating single piston calipers. Brake response, feel, and confidence are phenomenal. Whenever I take somebody for an autocross ride, they are amazed at the braking (and thankful for the seatbelt!). Not even on R-comps, Dunlop Z1 Star Specs.

Come to think of it, all my german cars have had great brakes (GTIs, jetta, M3) and the japanese cars (Miata, LGT) sucked. I got the Miata to feel acceptable without going to a BBK, tho, just needed really good pads.

Come to think of it, all my german cars have had great brakes (GTIs, jetta, M3) and the japanese cars (Miata, LGT) sucked. I got the Miata to feel acceptable without going to a BBK, tho, just needed really good pads.

The brakes on my STI are fantastic. Very little play in the pedal and you can modulate them really easy. The only downside is that the stock pads suck. I have 255 RE-01Rs on it now and once they get warm, the stock pads won't lock them up enough to engage the ABS.

So I'm really hoping this STI MC swap works. Logically, it should do wonders. But the real world isn't always logical.

The STi MC/booster swap does work. We drove the car around the parking lot and the brakes are fine on it. I just can't give you any initial real world driving feedback yet because we are still trying to get everything buttoned up before I can actually drive it on the road.

Just a FYI - Changing out to HP+ pads all around made a HUGE difference on my car but it still had that parachute effect when I pressed on the brakes. That is what I am hoping the STi MBC/Booster will fix. Then my brakes shold be just about perfect for me.

Just a FYI - Changing out to HP+ pads all around made a HUGE difference on my car but it still had that parachute effect when I pressed on the brakes. That is what I am hoping the STi MBC/Booster will fix. Then my brakes shold be just about perfect for me.

Were the HP+ pads installed at the same time as the MC/Booster swap? HP+ pads have very high initial bite for a street pad (not to mention dust like mad and are noisy, but that's another thread). Comparing brake system feel to a previous setup wihout these pads already in place is pretty innacurate, IMO. Would love to get some more specifics on your pad setups. Thanks for the legwork too...

Were the HP+ pads installed at the same time as the MC/Booster swap? HP+ pads have very high initial bite for a street pad (not to mention dust like mad and are noisy, but that's another thread). Comparing brake system feel to a previous setup wihout these pads already in place is pretty innacurate, IMO. Would love to get some more specifics on your pad setups. Thanks for the legwork too...

No I have been running the HP+ pads with my Brembo setup for about a year. I absolutely love the pads but like I said, it still felt like it wasnt perfect. My wife's minivan seems to have a better pedal feel than my Legacy:) I hope to be able to update this thread next week:)

No I have been running the HP+ pads with my Brembo setup for about a year. I absolutely love the pads but like I said, it still felt like it wasnt perfect. My wife's minivan seems to have a better pedal feel than my Legacy:) I hope to be able to update this thread next week:)

cool.

• 2 weeks later...
The STi MC/booster swap does work. We drove the car around the parking lot and the brakes are fine on it. I just can't give you any initial real world driving feedback yet because we are still trying to get everything buttoned up before I can actually drive it on the road.

Integroid, I just wanted to make sure. You have those two parts, MC/Booster from an 04 STi right?

I just found a someone that's willing to let them go for a pretty good price. I drive a MY09 LGT. Hopefully there won't be any issues for me. I'm planning on doing all my brake work this summer.

Thanks!

-Sam

I just bought a booster and MC from an 06 STi from this guy on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220657642083&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_790wt_939

Really fast shipping, parts are in good condition, MC says 1 1/16 on the bottom. This place has 4 more on buy it now.

Parts are sitting in my garage, no idea when I'll be able to put them in. :cool:

Integroid, I just wanted to make sure. You have those two parts, MC/Booster from an 04 STi right?

I just found a someone that's willing to let them go for a pretty good price. I drive a MY09 LGT. Hopefully there won't be any issues for me. I'm planning on doing all my brake work this summer.

Thanks!

-Sam

Yes, mine came from either an 04 or 05 STi. Bolted right up to my mt 05 Legacy

Now im confused - i've read the sticky regarding brake upgrade order in essence to remove mushy braking. I've also read the threads about people upgrading to a BBK - calipers, rotors, pads, and SS lines (front) to remove mushyness. A lot of these people with BBK's haven't touch the MC or installed an MC brace but claim the pedal feels better and braking has improved.

The advice in the sticky and Ken's thoughts make logical sense and im assuming the order is best for the price in incrimental upgrades. However when I scour the forum and see deals like a big brake kit for 1k, i think, skip the order when i get it all packaged up.

My question is, is a kit with rotors, 4pot calipers, lines(4), fluid and all hardware for 1k a better decision than incrimentally upgrading in the order Ken suggested? Is there something smarter or better that produces better results?

I'm assuming ive trolled this thread by injecting my questions esp related to a kit... Hopefully OP is a cool dude.:cool:

To Fix a Mushy Pedal in order of Price and relevance.

1. Fix Leaks/seeps ( Could be Leaking Master Cylinder or Line or Seals Etc. )

2. Bleed Brakes

3. Replace Pads ( Good pads like Hawk HPS, not Duralast )

4. Install Stainless steel lines

5. Install Master Cylinder Brace

6. Install New Master Cylinder - installing an over sized Master cylinder will reduce the pedal travel, making the pedal harder, but will increase pedal effort...You are moving the same amount of fluid over a shorter distance.

- Joe

Archived