LegacyGT.com

Legacy mushy brake pedal due to teeny master cylinder?

RyanE

The Brace for the legacy master brake cylinder isnt hard to make, just metal shops in orlando, fl, around here want at least $250 for materials and labor to make custom piece.. I got a wood bracket as a test piece , but trying to find a local school with a metal hobby shop , that can make at half price or even free. Once its done I may sell some depending if I like outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I did a little bit of poking around on this issue, and wanted to share my findings, as disappointing as they are.

On my 05 LGT, the pedal is mushy, and the Brake indicator light has come on a couple times. Figuring it was from pad wear, I topped up the reservoir (it's not even at the MIN mark). This this last time I looked for leaks. I had installed SS lines, and one junction on the RR control arm is damp. I'm going to replace the short hard pipe there. I also found a very slight damp patch under the master cylinder, on the front of the booster.

If I need to replace the MC, I figure I'll look for a slightly larger diameter to fix the overall crappy feel of the pedal. The part installed on the car is # 26401AG010. It's 15/16", as stamped on the bottom of the MC. "AG010" is stamped on the 'nose' of the MC. Thru this forum and others, I heard that Forester owners had luck fitting the previous body style STi 1 & 1/16" MC. Unfortunately, all the older Subarus have a different bolt pattern on the booster and MC than the LGT. The old style has the bolts at 3 and 9 oclock, and the LGT has the bolts at 2 and 8 (looking from the front). But, the new body style Impreza and STi use the newer MC bolt pattern. Unfortunately, some cars use the same part number as the LGT, so no help there. The only other part that would fit is from the Impreza and Legacy/Outbacks that have VDC, but it is still only 15/16", plus the ports are larger (12mm vs 10mm on the non-VDC cars), so the lines won't fit. The VDC MC is # 26401AG030, BTW.

Summary:

05+ LGT non-VDC MC: AG010 15/16", 10mm ports, offset bolts

new body style Imp and STi and Legacy with VDC: AG030 15/16", 12mm ports, offset bolts (no help at all)

Older MCs with larger diameters: straight bolt pattern, so it won't even mount up.

So, in short, there are no options that I could find for a larger MC that would fit the non-VDC LGT. Anything I missed?

So for sure the 2010 STI uses the same part number?

New STi uses the AG030 MC, according to:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

(invaluable resource, BTW.) I culled the diameter info from several sources, including Rockauto and directly questioning eBay sellers about stampings. I really hope I'm wrong and missed something...

EDIT: I don't know how up to date opposedforces.com is, so it's possible that the 2010 STi is different, I couldn't find any info specifically about 2010 master cylinders anywhere yet. All my snooping seems to say that the 05+ Legacy and newest Impreza chassis use 010 for non-VDC and 030 for VDC cars.

• 1 month later...
Well finally got my brembos,Stoptech pads, and custom APR J hook rotors on , for about a month ago and the mushiness of the factory calipers is gone.. I looked at factory calipers and found the boots Melted.. I dont know if melted piston boots can decrease the performance of pedal feel. Maybe if fluid leaks out because of boots worn.. I also found my brake fluid reservoir to be a lil low causing brake light to turn on.. My initial thoughts so far are the factory brakes are the biggest Shit brakes ever on any car i have ever had. I have owned 13 cars and none of the had a pedal feel like this. So in conclusion brembos feel amazing. Brakes stop on the dime and about 90% percent of the mushiness is gone. So far the cure to me is to get rid of those god awful factory caliper. They should be illegal, Shame on you subaru for putting crap on your cars.

• 2 months later...

Just a FYI - I purchased a MBC and booster from a 04 STI and it bolted right in. Just had to adjust the rod for the Legacy pedal and bleed the system. My car won't be running until later this week so I can't comment on feel yet. You need the booster from a WRX or STi and the MBC from a STI. Give me a few minutes and I will upload a pic.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_yF5oeOgY1lY/TUmX7fh5vPI/AAAAAAAAALA/8fYRn4nFaQc/s640/IMAG0156.jpg

Just a FYI - I purchased a MBC and booster from a 04 STI and it bolted right in. Just had to adjust the rod for the Legacy pedal and bleed the system. My car won't be running until later this week so I can't comment on feel yet. You need the booster from a WRX or STi and the MBC from a STI. Give me a few minutes and I will upload a pic.

FANTASTIC! Please let us know how it feels! If this works, it's going on my car. What size is the MC, 1&1/16"?

FANTASTIC! Please let us know how it feels! If this works, it's going on my car. What size is the MC, 1&1/16"?

I believe so. It is the bigger of the two. The booster for the WRX and STi are the same. The only difference is the MBC on the two.

So the 04 bolted right up. Last time i tried the 2 bolts patterns , didnt line up. I definitely like the brembos , but still feel the pedal has about 10-20 % percent mushiness. Most of it gone thou.. Plz post a review with feedback in differences and what part # did u use.. I will be getting mine done in a couple weeks. thanks

Im exited finally the pedal with be what it should be , I hope.

So the 04 bolted right up. Last time i tried the 2 bolts patterns , didnt line up. I definitely like the brembos , but still feel the pedal has about 10-20 % percent mushiness. Most of it gone thou.. Plz post a review with feedback in differences and what part # did u use.. I will be getting mine done in a couple weeks. thanks

Im exited finally the pedal with be what it should be , I hope.

The STi MBC didn't line up with the legacy booster so I went out and got the booster from a 04/05 STi. Bolted the STi MBC to the STi booster then swaped out the whole assembly as one unit. I know the muchiness everyone is talking about. It has been driving me crazy from day one. I thought the Brembo's would resolve the problem but they didn't. It was an improvement but not a cure. Hopefully the larger MBC/booster combo will help.

To Fix a Mushy Pedal in order of Price and relevance.

1. Fix Leaks/seeps ( Could be Leaking Master Cylinder or Line or Seals Etc. )

2. Bleed Brakes

3. Replace Pads ( Good pads like Hawk HPS, not Duralast )

4. Install Stainless steel lines

5. Install Master Cylinder Brace

6. Install New Master Cylinder - installing an over sized Master cylinder will reduce the pedal travel, making the pedal harder, but will increase pedal effort...You are moving the same amount of fluid over a shorter distance.

- Joe

Very cool, Integroid. I still have an STI master cylinder from my failed experiment, have been wondering if the STI booster would work, but never got around to it.

With used parts, I'm pretty sure this will be less expensive and more effective than braided stainless brake lines. Probably more effective than a brace, and not much more expensive. I paid $40 for the STI master cylinder, and I doubt the booster will cost much more.

Ken, not tryin to be an ass but I have everything you listed and the brakes still feel mushy. The MBC and booster from the STi was about $60. After I purchsed it I had many friends offer me the booster for free. The only thing that will kill you on this setup will be the time to change out both pieces. The Legacy GT has a smaller MBC than the WRX but yet it has much bigger brakes. It just didnt make sense to me why Subaru did this.

If you follow steps 1-5 and the brakes are still mushy that is simply how the car is, was, and always will be unless you change something such as the Calipers or MC. Floating calipers have some flex so that makes for some mushiness. Fixed calipers make for a much more firm pedal. A larger MC will also help in making the pedal harder.

The STi MC is a good bit larger in Diameter. That will definitely help with pedal stiffness.

- Joe ( Not Ken )

I have 2, PM me for pricing if you are interested:

They are used.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/core/item/images/Posting_Size/MC1.jpghttp://www.knsbrakes.com/core/item/images/Posting_Size/MC2.jpg

http://www.knsbrakes.com/core/item/images/Posting_Size/MC1.JPG

is there a parts # list of what is exactly needed?

From opposedforces.com:

MC # 26401AC191 all STI from 04-07

Booster# 26402FE290 or 26402FE400 (from Jan 04 on, looks like it got phased in)

MC seal repair kit 26471AC022

From opposedforces.com:

MC # 26401AC191 all STI from 04-07

Booster# 26402FE290 or 26402FE400 (from Jan 04 on, looks like it got phased in)

MC seal repair kit 26471AC022

I am pretty sure all of the boosters from 04+ are the same regardless if it came from a STi or WRX.

Archived