LegacyGT.com

Legacy mushy brake pedal due to teeny master cylinder?

RyanE

Well I tried steps 1-5 no help. I recommend u check factoy boots on front brakes , mine were melted and leaking fluid, a accident waiting ti happen, so then came brembos , new apm j hook rotors and stoptech pads, motul 600, braided lines , which helped in getting rid of the shakes, when stopping fast, over 50 mph brakes don't pulsate anymore, but you still have about 30-60 % parachute feel(mushiness), in the system. So far I am praying that the swap of the mc n booster , will fix this. Some off it is reduced, but not the cure. I have the same problem, I'll drive a cheap cavalier, pedal feel is great, solid. The legacy brakes feel off. Maybe have to go custom 6 pots front and back with bigger rotors to compensate. I saw some guy with a outback on here with 24 pots. Funny thing is I park next to a BMW and the brakes look massive front and rear. My friend has a BMW 135i and his brakes feel amazing compared to the leggy. I would gladly pay $$$$$ to have this fixed, it's my biggest gripe with the leggy. So integriod whats the latest. I wish a vendor would make a product to fix this.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took a 2011 Legacy 2.5i for a test drive and during the same visit read a rant in the Legacy brochure about improved brakes.

They really feel and act better.

Promptly checked a master cylinder and it's 1 inch now :).

I feel STI pomp and booster is the remedy, not a BBK for $ 1k.

• 2 weeks later...

!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out the hard way today that the check valve must be built in on the Legacy booster and it is not on the STi. Just go to Napa and purchase a check valve that will fit the hose going to the booster and you should be fine. I havent purchased the check valves yet but will be doing so tomorrow. I was doing a 3rd gear pull at 25psi when I found out about the check valve:)

!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out the hard way today that the check valve must be built in on the Legacy booster and it is not on the STi. Just go to Napa and purchase a check valve that will fit the hose going to the booster and you should be fine. I havent purchased the check valves yet but will be doing so tomorrow. I was doing a 3rd gear pull at 25psi when I found out about the check valve:)

reminds me of a friend who forgot to clamp his brake booster line down.. did a 3rd gear pull... no help from the brake booster to stop. :lol: It's only funny because nothing bad happened

I ended up ordering the brake booster hose from a STi that has the built in check valve. I believe it was like $18 retail.

Yeah, it was funny because nothing happened to me other than scaring the crap out of the truck I almost rear ended and going into the emergency lane:)

Err...not on me.

I ended up just cutting the check valve out of the hose and inserting it into the Legacy booster hose. Took about 5 minutes to do with a little bit of lube to force it in the hose. Make sure you use something that is about the same size as the check valve to push it through the hose so you dont damage it. Did a 28 psi pull in 3rd and it stopped like a dream. Ahhhhh...so nice to have reliable brakes without a mushy pedal:)

Yes, the STi booster hose was not long enough to fit so I would have had to of gone to the parts store to find a hose connector. I decided it would just be eaier to cut the check valve out and push it into the legacy hose.

Ahhhhh...so nice to have reliable brakes without a mushy pedal:)

Ok, take a step back and tell us just how much of a differnece there really is.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

There really is a pretty big difference with my brake pedal feel now. Before I would press the brakes and would get the parachute affect for a split second. Not anymore now. The pedal is also more solid feeling and absolutely no mushy feeling at all. I hope that helps.

Integroid, that is all fantastic news.

What was your parts list?

What is the "parachute effect"? My brakes are horrible. Great cold-bite, great feel when cold. Slowing from 80mph to stop for an off-ramp stoplight means TONS of pedal input for less than exciting stopping. The stock brakes on my Outback are woefully inept at handling the weight of the vehicle, especially when towing.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

04 STI MBC, 04 STI Booster, 02+ WRX/STi Brake Booster Hose (To get check valve out of it), Motul Fluid.

Parachute is just like it sounds. I would press the brakes and nothing would really happen for a split second. Kind of like pulling the cord for a parachute.

I would get the LGT setup up front in your case. I believe the LGT has bigger rotors and better calipers, no?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you guys think this would work on an 05 Outback XT with no other brake upgrades? Stock calipers are Tokico. It seems like it should since the Outback is based off of the Legacy.

Outback uses smaller calipers than the LGT, doesn't it? I believe that's what I read. If that's the case, pedal feel for that application is a guess at best until it's actually be tried as the fluid dynamics are different, i.e. different caliper piston sizes vs. master cylinder bore dimension.

Archived