LegacyGT.com

Legacy mushy brake pedal due to teeny master cylinder?

RyanE

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it's also relative to what you are used to.

I have a full Brembo swap, Brembo rotors, ATE fluid (fresh, and yes bled properly), SS lines, Carbotech Bobcat pads, and although I like how quick it stops it's not a firm pedal, not even close.

You press the pedal down and of course it stops properly and with some decent feel but it's mushy. I can bounce on the pedal another 1" or so at a stop... that's a lot of movement.

On the other hand, my nephews STI has very little pedal travel, little effort, much better feel, much easier to modulate, and when stopped you cannot push it further at all. It's very firm. Night and day difference and our brake set up is identical other than m/c, booster, and pad choice.

Go figure...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Since the brake upgrade I have only tried the OEM STI pads which I actually prefered over the Bobcats.

DS25000's have always gotten good reviews. I may try them next.

Yep, OEM STI (made by Jurid) are very good. I like DS2500 bit better though.

So, speaking of mushiness, yes, there is no solid end-point on my brakes either, if that's what you're missing (and comparing to STI). I guess 08+ STI booster/master cylinder would fit no problem. I think there might an extra line(s) in the cylinder due to VDC, but I guess these could be simply plugged.

Bottom line is that although I consider it mushy they do still work and work well. I just wish it 'felt' better.

Not really worth exploring any options other than adding a Cusco M/C brace.

Has anyone actually installed a large cylinder?

Or do I gotta be the guinea pig? :) I'm going to get pads, lines, rotors and fluid soon, might as well do the cylinder too. The theory behind the upgrade seems pretty sound.

Crapnuggets...

^ I tired that one and it doesnt fit the legacy. Someone on here posted a photo of one installed so I ordered it. Long story short it doesnt fit and they had to of Jerry rigged it.

Yes please!!!

has anyone actually installed a large cylinder?

Or do i gotta be the guinea pig? :) i'm going to get pads, lines, rotors and fluid soon, might as well do the cylinder too. The theory behind the upgrade seems pretty sound.

after countless bleeding hours and troubleshooting the brakes i got to the same conclusion. The only time my pedal feels nice and firm is when there are new pads and rotors installed on the car. Once they get worn beyond 70% the brakes get mushy. I am asking a local guy to see if we can do a swap on my 2.5i.

on the other hand, my brakes on the i are a lot smaller than the gt so in theory my brakes should be a lot firmer than on a gt, yet they are not. I have never compared the piston sizes between the 2.

i just bought a STi MC and booster for cheap... lets see how this goes.

Well??? :) Inquiring minds want to know!

Is the booster necessary, or is it reasonable to swap the MC alone?

(I'm only just barely familiar with how brake systems work.)

i just bought a STi MC and booster for cheap... lets see how this goes.

I see your fairly local. We should compare brakes. Maybe I'm just crazy.

• 4 months later...

apologies for digging this up, but just wondering if anyone get some results.

i'm looking to swap out my MC and booster if required cos the feel is actually quite sad... that being said, i've had the following done on my MY07 GTB:

SS lines

slotted rear discs,

project HC+ pads

4 pot sumitomo front upgrades

332mm front disc, cross drilled

fluids

cusco BCS

feel to me that if i do the rears now, i'll loose even more feel. it's feel that i'm trying to improve, the actual stopping power is decent, but the subie feels worse than my '90 honda prelude with stock stuff...

• 1 month later...
Well I tried to put the STi master cylinder , but wouldnt fit , due to bolt holes not in same place.. If i cant put the cylinder on, then no point in trying to the booster. I also tried the perrin STiffi master cylinder brace and no good.. Going to have a metal shop fabricate a master cylinder brace, just havent had time. I know the cusco one fits but more expensive and some stuff has to be moved in order to make the cusco brace fit.. I have a brace designed for master brake cylinder for legacy gt on paper, but havent had metal shop fabricate yet. Once i get em made i will post some feedback. Good luck on your venture to make these brakes better..

Hmm I'm just hopping into this thread because I finally had enough of my "mushy" pedal. I just recently bought a brand new CR-V for the wife and kid to drive.. and I have to say that the CR-V's pedal is a bajillion times better. In fact, I had a few jerky stops when I started to drive it just because of the lightning fast braking on it.

When I went back to driving my LGT I almost ran a stop sign because I forgot how much further I have to push the pedal until it "bites" and that I have to hold onto it. I remember back in the day when I first got the LGT and sold my evo I had the exact same problem. Of course brakes in the Evo were superior and upgraded so I thought nothing of it. Changed my pads and bled the brakes on the LGT, and still no marked improvement in bite or pedal travel. I haven't ventured into SS lines nor new rotors since they were all very meaty to start off with.

So.. any good fixes yet? I didn't see anymore posts about the Master Cylinder brace. I might change to Hawk race pads for my next change just to see if they indeed bite sooner. I definitely don't mind if it wears out my rotors sooner :)

I feel your pain, the pedaltravel on these cars sucks, So far no fix, I got slotted rotors, braided lines. No help at all. Only thing that helped a little is hawk hp plus pads very grabby. Stay away from hps on about 5% better than stock pads, going put my STi Brembos on this month and trying to make a master cylinder reinforcement bracket to see if it helps.

Darkside, I work at Eaton Aerospace and we have local vendors that I think can make a one off for a reasonable price. I intended to mock something up, get a contact from our facilities dept, then ask

Archived