LegacyGT.com

Mini Cooper S or Legacy GT Wagon

Jacks GT

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you said you have both, a Mini and a LGT... get your son to get his friends over, and go for a ride in both.

I think the Mini would be cheaper for insurance, but... get all his friends in the mini. it will be cramped. the Car does not make the person.... i hardly doubt most of us here are tree huggers, which a lot of people associate Subaru owners with.

maybe point your son to a Sedan instead of the wagon. Although if they made the wagon still... i'd probably have the LGT wagon.

I have always liked the Mini Cooper myself, but the FWD kills it for me. and the size... after being in one... i doubt i'd ever own one. Looks are not everything.

It's like the Camaro above, looks like a plain Camaro. (the years i don't like the looks of either, i'll take the same years Firebird over the Camaro) but i bet it isn't even close to being "plain".

EDIT: i forgot, crash wise. we know the Legacy IS 5 star crash rated, not sure what the Mini is. something you should look into, IMO safety should be high on the list also. maybe since he's 17 he may not want to get a Turbo car right away.. Insurance will not be easy on him at 17 regardless of which car he goes, turbo=$$$ for ins rates.

Actually the MINI has a lot of room. About 2 months after I got mine, 3 friends bugged me for a ride so we all piled in. Me driving, one kid who was maybe 5'8" next to me, a 5'10" kid behind me who weighs about 260lbs and another kid who's easily 6' something in the passeneger rear and not a single one had issues with room or comfort. Well, until they were banging heads around the turns.....And to clarify on insurance, I was 20 when I got my MINI and with a clean record and no driving school, was paying around $110-115 per month for full coverage on a 2003 Cooper (non-S). A few months ago when I picked up my LGT, my payments when I think 112 for my last MINI payment to maybe 116. 4 whole dollars more I pay each month!

It's like the Camaro above, looks like a plain Camaro. (the years i don't like the looks of either, i'll take the same years Firebird over the Camaro) but i bet it isn't even close to being "plain".

I know it is kinda sad, having a custom paint job and it still looks plain lol.

WOW.....:lol:

My statement was based upon me asking my son and daughter which car they would rather have......

My SON wants the LGT wag

My DAUGHTER wants the Mini............

So what ????? Lighten up.:);)

I'm presuming your kids are teenagers, they're excused for their preferences, but we're all open minded progressive adults here (i'm assuming)

I meant plain meaning the car comes factory that way, wheels and all.

and you said, i think it was you, 400whp. which is not factory.

looks factory i should say, but isn't. looks are not everything.

as for the dimensions on the cooper and LGT.

LGT:

Headroom front/rear (with sunroof): 37.5/36.5

Headroom front/rear (no sunroof): 39.5/36.5

Shoulder room front/rear 54.4/53.7

Legroom front/rear: 44.1/33.9

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2009.html#dimensions

Cooper: Disregard

Headroom front/rear 38.4/38.1

Shoulder room Front/rear 50.9/39.0

Legroom front/rear 41.3/27.5

http://autos.yahoo.com/mini_cooper_convertible_s-specs/?p=int

headroom is about the same, everything else is in LGT's favor.

I'm not entirely agreeing with the stated rear shoulder room on the cooper... thats quite a big difference if it's true. I just found the Yahoo link fast when i searched for int dimensions. Accurate or not, i dunno. the Cars101 info is accurate.

EDIT: Bah... i posted the Cooper CONVERTABLE specs... no wonder something didn't smell right.

Cooper S:

Headroom front/rear 38.8/37.6

Shoulder room Front/rear 50.3/44.7

Legroom front/rear 41.4/29.9

http://autos.yahoo.com/mini_cooper_hardtop_s-specs/?p=int

I'm presuming your kids are teenagers, they're excused for their preferences, but we're all open minded progressive adults here (i'm assuming)

Lol...... son = 11yrs old

daughter = 8yrs old ( she thinks the mini is cool for herself and her American Girl dolls :lol: ) ... I'm not making this up !!!!:lol:

I say the kid picks for himself........

Actually the MINI has a lot of room. About 2 months after I got mine, 3 friends bugged me for a ride so we all piled in. Me driving, one kid who was maybe 5'8" next to me, a 5'10" kid behind me who weighs about 260lbs and another kid who's easily 6' something in the passeneger rear and not a single one had issues with room or comfort. Well, until they were banging heads around the turns.....

A friend of mine has a Cooper S. He gave me and another buddy a ride one day, and it was far from comfortable for me in the back seat. I'm 6'1, the driver is about 5'11, and the other guy is 6'6'" (I didn't sit behind him). I had to sit with my knees either between the two front seats.

I couldn't even get my left knee past the driver seat to get one leg on either side...unacceptable for rides longer than about 10 minutes. So, Jack, how tall are your son's friends? :lol:

On the flip side, his dad drives a 550 Maranello and says the Mini is almost as much fun...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

You can't tell me you'd be happy drivin around in VW bug lol.//

I had three of them! And I had them in reverse order: first a '69, then a '67, and in 1982 I bought a 1964. The '64 had a bus motor (1600cc) and I bought it in Georgia so it still had heater boxes. Drove it for a couple of years while I was in the Army, and sold it without advertising - several people were lined up to buy it.

Real men drive Chyslers - with automatics. Because a real man is not afraid to let a transmission shift for itself."

"Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."

When PGT got a second mini I asked, "You got a second wife?," but being notoriously overbearing he didn't think that was funny.

Because I live in the city, short is good, so I test-drove the Mini. Fun, but too slow and being a BMW they nickle and dime you to death: an $18,900 car quickly became a $21,500 car. The Mini S was about the same delivered price as a WRX premium, so I drove one: game, set, match Subaru. There are plenty of Minis in Boston, though, because they're easier to shove in a smaller hole. I think it's funny that anyone would question the "manliness" of buying a Mini when the Outback was for a time one of the vehicles with the highest percentage of female ownership in the US - may still be, for all I know.

The local Mini salesman was an interesting guy: he is the President of the New England Mini owners club, and past president of the national club. They have fun with them, but practicality is a different matter.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Lol the 93-02 T/A was an awesome machine, if you dont think so then whatever but you would be wrong. The lt1 and ls1 can take a beating, i put 600hp on the stock internals of my 2000 and never had soo much as a hickup

93-02 t/a...dwight schrute has one

I dotn knwo who that is or wtf your talkign about. And just because i dont like the mini and think it looks feminine means i have a small dick. Glad to see all you guys have everything all figured out :lol:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/0000004457_20060919223632.jpg

Dwight Schrute

http://www.lifeintheoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/dwights%20car.JPG

Dwight Schrute's TA

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I dotn knwo who that is or wtf your talkign about. And just because i dont like the mini and think it looks feminine means i have a small dick. Glad to see all you guys have everything all figured out :lol:
Well, it's not in your profile - what are you trying to hide?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I got a 96 Legacy wagon when I turned 16. To me, I needed more space to haul everything for all my activities and camping and such. Also, outta school activities where I needed to fold down the seats were the best thing out there! HA. The mini is an awesome car but if he is gonna hit some snow and might need a little room, go with the wagon.

Given your habit of making crude, insulting replies, you probably should keep your profile blank.

Lol, ok buddy. I dont think i said anything wrong, just making jokes and stating how i feel, if you have a problem with that remember the key word is YOUR, so stop bothering me with your problems.:rolleyes:

And that T/A dwight has is an 87, completely different than a 93-02

Lol, ok buddy. I dont think i said anything wrong, just making jokes and stating how i feel, if you have a problem with that remember the key word is YOUR, so stop bothering me with your problems.:rolleyes:

And that T/A dwight has is an 87, completely different than a 93-02

then again, when you make posts like this:

Yeah but you got a head start, so how does it feel to be dieing (sic) ?:)

It's not exactly endearing. So I remain curious why you don't have anything in your profile? Particularly to justify your self-appointed guru status.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived