LegacyGT.com

Removing weight for better handling and performance

FPerron

Are you absolutely sure of that? I hope it's true. BTW, I'm running a pro-tune from Mike (formerly of TDC).

Yes, I am sure.

But you MUST reload the RT map if the power is cut the ECU, most (if not all) of the importnant power-making data is on the realtime with the TDC (or any other tuners) maps.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys,

I called a local dealer and i can get a deal on Kinetic batteries the 600w weighs 14lb!!! I belive MSRP is about $200 and i could get them for like $165 plus shiping. If you are interested let me know i am going to buy two, one for the vette and one for the buru hehe. These are gel cells little to no battery memory, can be stored in any way (not just verticle)...

Side not i am putting mine in the trunk cuz i will be running a removable stereo and so the wire weight will already be there.

I also thougth about taking off of a muffler and installing an electric cutout. With that extra space put the battery and other stuff i will move to the back.

I have also been thinking of making a really small windshield sprayer hehe

Has anyone suggested removing the y-pipe and one can and using a single pipe exhaust with one can? I assume that would be a good bit of weight removal?

Some people have mentioned it, as a single exhaust outlet on our cars is a superior design from an exhaust flow standpoint (and therefore performance) as well as weight removal. There would be a significant weight savings.....and, though I don't know which side would definitely be better, you could help better balance the car by shifting weight to one side.

There are a few aftermarket companies that make single-outlet cat back exhausts.

Joe

who makes a single catback for the LGT? I say just go to your local muffler shop and have them make you a custom mid and under axel (ypipe replacement) to go to a good axel back. I would put the muffler on the passenger side. I also had a thought about putting a light weight gel cell batter (14lbs) where the old muffler used to be. How much does one axel back weigh?

I would want to put a dumy tip on the other side so it did not look bad.

oh snap: (exclamatory phrase) a playful indication of surprise, misfortune, or insult

ex:

"Those fender vents belong in "teh rice" thread."

"Oh snap!"

"My kid put seran wrap under the toilet seat, and I need new shoes now."

"Oh snap!"

"You traded your LGT in for an SRT-4?!?!?!?"

"Oh snap!"

I get it. It's like an adult saying "touche"

who makes a single catback for the LGT? I say just go to your local muffler shop and have them make you a custom mid and under axel (ypipe replacement) to go to a good axel back. I would put the muffler on the passenger side. I also had a thought about putting a light weight gel cell batter (14lbs) where the old muffler used to be. How much does one axel back weigh?

I was thinking of doing this anyway. If going custom, I could take off the y-pipe and extend my 3" midpipe to the muffler. As long as it is going to be custom, does anyone know of a quiet high flowing muffler that could be used?

+1 on the fake tip, just have to coat the inside with carbon :)

Lets talk about weight loss, Can some one start a large table in Xcell to track the weight of all the stock cars and stock parts weigh? That way we can make this more Quantitative. I will measure my spec b struts that i am taking off this weekend and puting on KW Tarmac 1's!!!

That's close enough, but I had to use google to be sure :)

What's your definition of an adult? Are you old?

Very f***ing old:mad: The only times I've heard "Oh snap" used were when I was lying on the couch watching "House." On the other hand, I've been road racing since 1962 and I'm still getting faster:cool:

BTW, I think the idea of a database of component weights is a good idea.

Difference between GT-steel and Spec.B-aluminum suspension components (weights are per component):

Front Control Arms:

Steel 7.5lbs - Stamped and Welded Construction

Aluminum 6.5lbs - Cast/Forged Construction

Rear Trailing Arms:

Steel 17.8lbs - Cast Construction

Aluminum 11.2lbs - Cast/Forged Construction

Upper Lateral Links:

Steel 4.9lbs - Cast Construction

Aluminum 3.3lbs - Cast Construction

I have the stock camber links and can weigh them, but I forgot to weigh the 4BoxParts links before putting them on the car.

Great info everyone remember to specify if it is just the weight of one item or of a pair!

example

front Spec b arms weight 6.5 lbs each? or a pair?

I am pretty sure it is each but lets just be specific.

Also does that include the weight of the ball joints and rear caster bushings? Just curious

I will be weighing my coilovers w/ and w/out top hats, top hats by them selves, spec b springs b them selves...

Thanks,

M

• 2 weeks later...

pm aaronlee0821-im pretty sure he has a single conversion.

Archived