LegacyGT.com

Blistein HD Bump Stop Mod

NEED SOME HELP HERE.

Bilstein HD purchased 1 week ago from Fred Bean....

I successfully take the bottom nut off, but I am not able to simply unscrew the insert off of the housing.

I tried my best to unscrew and even damaged it a bit, but still can not make it out.

Have any of U encountered such problem???

or maybe they have changed their design on the strut to forbid taking the insert out of the housing!!!???

Panson

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NEED SOME HELP HERE.

Bilstein HD purchased 1 week ago from Fred Bean....

I successfully take the bottom nut off, but I am not able to simply unscrew the insert off of the housing.

I tried my best to unscrew and even damaged it a bit, but still can not make it out.

Have any of U encountered such problem???

or maybe they have changed their design on the strut to forbid taking the insert out of the housing!!!???

Panson

Make sure you are turning the screw clockwise.

One of mine came apart very easily, the other side turned about one turn and then wouldn't budge. Fortunately I hadn't cut the other bumpstop yet and I just buttoned everything back up. I'll live with the reduced travel.

With the housing (bottom tube) clamped so it can't turn, turn the screw clockwise. Alternatively you might try clamping the srewdriver and use the housing as a force-multiplier, turning the housing counter-clockwise. Use plenty of PB Blaster if the screw (rod) is seized or not turning easily.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Installing the Rallitek Springs this weekend, they state about a .9 inch drop with the Spec.B due to the different Top hats.

With such a small drop do i NEED to do the bump stop mod on my vehicle?? Please advise.

^I have ralliteks on and I do not think that I hit my stops. I know the fronts dont for sure since it sits so damn high (stock or higher), but the backs might over some rough stuff. I will try to take more notice for you.

Installing the Rallitek Springs this weekend, they state about a .9 inch drop with the Spec.B due to the different Top hats.

With such a small drop do i NEED to do the bump stop mod on my vehicle?? Please advise.

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer is that however much strut stroke you're giving up, there's a fraction of the bump stop that should be cut out... Certainly not as much as the slammed drops, but some; probably 1 of the three nodules that make up the bump stop.

Help me here please.

I recently swap my stock suspension towards Bilstein HD/ ION.....

I trim the front bump stop half and I am glad I did so...

Now, my rear starts to bump like hell and I am eager to find the rear bump stop to trim but just couldn't find them.

Could someone show me or point me where are them???

Not to rain on the parades...BUT..the OEM bump rubber has those progressions in there AND is that long to cushion as it get slams..........this is why we use a FIRMER and SHORTER bump stop on the Impreza's. We use it on the 04-07 front ( inverted) and the 08-09 STI front inverted. By cutting these OEM bump stops sure you gain the travel, but WHEN it hits it has even less protection/cushion than before.

What is needed is a FIRMER/SHORTER bump stop. Ask us how we know....

In the picture below is one of our FRONT comparisons of OEM bump rubber vs the FIRMER one we use in the IMPREZA. BTW yes it fits Bilsteins as we use in in the following:

Ohlins fixed perch fronts.

Prodrive RB320 fronts.

04-07 STI fronts.

08-09 STI fronts.

The design, size and specs of the bottom of the inverted shafts are all the same. THE real issue with the Legacy is the obvious lack of travel.

So to recap this bump rubber is FIRMER and shorter. Also dont forget when you really need the bump stop its important that it NOT go to far past the middle of the range of the OEM rubber. Ours is about twice as firm as stock and has a different rate in the first progression than in the second.

Just a thought.

Myles

PS. didnt someone a WHILE ago compare the HD next to the SPEC-B and realize that the HD uses shorter shafts? Hence why when you lower on the HD you have less travel by about 1/2 inch? Making the Spec-B Bilsteins the ones to get revalved( what I have done already) to a "SPORT" valve no less.

I will search for the thread NOW.

DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE REAR AS ITS FROM THE 08 STI.

http://racecompengineering.com/images/bumpstopcompareSM.jpg

Help me here please.

I recently swap my stock suspension towards Bilstein HD/ ION.....

I trim the front bump stop half and I am glad I did so...

Now, my rear starts to bump like hell and I am eager to find the rear bump stop to trim but just couldn't find them.

Could someone show me or point me where are them???

they are built into the control arm and I trimmed mine years ago..BUT..dont get carried away as you NEEEEED that there. When these cars SLAM into the bump rubber its protecting other suspension parts. I trimmed about 1/4 inch from mine and noticed a difference when I have 2 adults in my rear with a full tank( wow that didnt sound right...).

Myles

Ps that rear bump rubber looks like a soft rubber pyramid.

I talked to a rep at Bilstein about this bumper inside the strut tube. He stated the HD series is designed for stock springs and the Sport series struts are for lowered cars. He couldn't tell me if the sport series was available for the LGT, but I can't find any listing except for the HD's.

Question for RaceComp; Do those bumpers replace the units were cutting or do they just slide over the piston like OE style?

http://racecompengineering.com/images/bumpstopcompareSM.jpg

Myles,

Ready to purchase, but have some questions.

WRT the front Bilstein (Spec B or the JDM variants), do your bump stops fit the internal piston rod tightly or is the bump stop bore actually sized for a larger piston rod? Also, when installed, how much clearance between them and wall of the Bilstein's down tube (O.D. to I.D.)? Compared to a cut-down Bilstein bumpstop, how much difference is there between your's and their's. Don't want to get harsher due to the stop, just increase travel with the same/similar stop/feel.

Also, getting ready to revalve my Spec Bs (It's right here in San Diego so why not), and was wondering what the ride difference was between stock and the "sport".

TIA

• 4 weeks later...
I will be throwing Eibach Springs on my Spec B. Apparently these springs only drop the car about an inch. Would thee springs require trimming of the front and rear bumpstops or will I be good to go without trimming.

With the Ions I have that only lowered an inch, I didn't need to do this. But spring rates vary, so I can't really advise you. I'd try it first without modifying them.

That's what I was thinking of doing. If I hit the bump stops I will trim them if not I will leave them alone.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived