LegacyGT.com

Legacy STi

All pretty valid but personally that all adds weight let alone the BLING BLING factor. I dont want to pay USD100,000 for this car but would like the option to spec things up if required. What about a glowing STi badge on the front and rear, that could be pretty cool! Adam.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='agctr'][quote name='fan42025'][quote name='IwannaSportSedan'] I just want STi to show up with 325-350 horsepower for 35-38k in a legacy body, with a long standard option list. Whether they do it with a turbo H4, or a turbocharged H6, is up to them. An S4 for the masses, as it were.[/quote] A 3.0 turbo Legacy STi with lots of options sounds very nice. I want one![/quote] I rest my case, "Build it & We Will Buy" Adam.[/quote] For $38K, I'd add a grand or two to the bottom line and pick up a used 8-cylinder S4, no offense to the Subaru gods. :lol: No turbos, just gobs of normally-aspirated power and torque all day. But I love these threads. Can I add that I want a JATO to pop out of the underside of the car, to augment the boost characteristics? Silly? Sure. But no less silly than discussing a car that doesn't even exist, and hasn't even been hinted at by anyone from Subaru. Oh yeah, and I want the HIDs so bright they will illuminate my pie in the sky. Adam, I wish that "Build it and we will buy" were all that simple. People said that about the turbo Legacy GT, and many are sitting on the fence, waiting for something "sportier, with more options." Should a mythical STi Legacy show up, what do you suppose those same people would say. Sure, they might claim that they would pony up the ducats, but you can say anything in the realm of cyberspace. I bet they would say "$38,000 for a Subaru? I dunno. That seems crazy to me. Where's the prestige?" If people were blanching at $30 for a LGTltd, I can't imagine anything that would get them to happily add $8k to that bottom line. Subaru's bread and butter is the Outback, which outsells the Legacy by about 4 to 1. Even though the GT will improve the Legacy's sales numbers, the docket at the end of the year will still show an overwhelming number of Outbacks sold, compared to Legacies. I've seen three or four Outbacks rolling around. I have yet to see a Legacy, which says a lot, as I live in a Subaru-crazy part of the Midwest. I just don't see any incentive whatsoever for Subaru to even consider an STi Legacy, fiscally, halo car or otherwise. At least not until years of diligent image re-crafting, to get people ready for the idea of an almost $40K Subaru, which is what the Legacy STi people are claiming that they want will sell for. I just don't see it... Kevin

Here are sales for July Kevin: [quote]Specifically, the Legacy model line recorded 8,654 units, while the Subaru Outback recorded strong sales of 5,849 units for the month. Subaru Forester posted 5,455 units in July. The Impreza line recorded 2,867 unit sales, while Subaru Baja recorded sales of 620 units for the month.[/quote]

I have to agree with a few points of yrs Kevin regarding those fence sitters that you talk about. Its a bit like buying computers, you are always waiting for something better to come out. Well ppl get over it, buy what is here today as u might not be here tmrw to enjoy it. The STi I think is reality and certainly something that will come, its just a matter of when. Yes the price has a big factor in the number of sales but if it is only priced a little higher than the WRX is to the STi WRX I think ppl might very well consider. Agreed not everyone is into BIG performance but then again yes there are some and NO they dont go racing every weekend. Some where in the mix there is room for the STi and for me its not a matter of how or where, its a matter of when. Adam.

[quote name='SUBE555']Glowing debadges here will warrant debadging. Not my cup of tea. Talk about rice and theft magnet.[/quote] Nah! I like a bright blue neon light in the scoop. Also, rear lights that change color according to acceleration. Just joking. Seriously though, I do like the LED lights for the rear. They also turn on at full brightness instantly compared to the split second delay for bulbs, which can be important in high speed freeway driving. More and more exotic cars are using them for that reason. Apparently a white LED is being developed for headlights, and will be ready in 2-3 years. Now that would be interesting to see.

[quote name='fan42025'][quote name='SUBE555']Glowing debadges here will warrant debadging. Not my cup of tea. Talk about rice and theft magnet.[/quote] Nah! I like a bright blue neon light in the scoop. Also, rear lights that change color according to acceleration. Just joking. Seriously though, I do like the LED lights for the rear. They also turn on at full brightness instantly compared to the split second delay for bulbs, which can be important in high speed freeway driving. More and more exotic cars are using them for that reason. Apparently a white LED is being developed for headlights, and will be ready in 2-3 years. Now that would be interesting to see.[/quote] No LED is going to be as bright as plasma gas discharge...

Yeah, I think the Audi Le Mans concept car uses LED headlights. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I think an Sti Legacy priced at around $34-35 would sell. Subaru could just have options packages that took it up to $38 or so. IMO people will sometimes decide to buy a car based on it's lower list price signifying value but then end up adding considerable cost to the purchase price because they can't resist the options.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

[quote name='Deer Killer'] No LED is going to be as bright as plasma gas discharge...[/quote] Perhaps not a single LED but several used together might be enough in a couple of years. Extract from a web site: The Koito Manufacturing booth showed a headlight using 11 LED modules. Staff at the booth said it exceeds 400 lumens in output, although this is still far below the 1,000lm of halogen lights or the 3,000lm of high-intensity discharge (HID) lights. Usage in the main headlight is said to require a light emission efficiency of at least 50 to 70lm/W, up from the current 30lm/W, and full-scale market adoption will probably require 100lm/W. People in the field have commented that automobile manufacturers are developing both conventional headlights and LED headlights for high-grade vehicles to be released in late 2006 or early 2007. If the reliability and legal issues can be solved in time, sources say, the cars will ship with LED headlights.

Saving all that money from not buying the Limited so you can spend up big on all the STi Tasty Gear, ahh I see yr plan DM & SUBE...... Nice Ploy :D Adam. LED is where we are heading and Im sure the technology by 06/07 will be a lot more advanced and cheaper for the masses. Adam.

• 2 weeks later...
This has now offically been wiped. It used to be 206Kw but as we know, Japan are now sending out cars like the GT-R R34, EVO VIII, Z Fairlady, Mazda MPS, WRX UK Spec, with well above the ceiling of 206Kw. This GENTLEMEN's agreement of 206Kw has been in place forever but with better technology and ppl wanting more power, Japan have had to give what is required if they want to retain/maintain market share in the countries they are in. I think for a few years now, car makers have been going over but the specs on the sheets have been below or right on 206Kw. Based on this, we should really see some power jumps in the cars coming out of the land of the rising sun. Fingers crossed. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']This has now offically been wiped. It used to be 206Kw but as we know, Japan are now sending out cars like the GT-R R34, EVO VIII, Z Fairlady, Mazda MPS, WRX UK Spec, with well above the ceiling of 206Kw. This GENTLEMEN's agreement of 206Kw has been in place forever but with better technology and ppl wanting more power, Japan have had to give what is required if they want to retain/maintain market share in the countries they are in. I think for a few years now, car makers have been going over but the specs on the sheets have been below or right on 206Kw. Based on this, we should really see some power jumps in the cars coming out of the land of the rising sun. Fingers crossed. Adam.[/quote] While it is true that the gentelman's agreement is gone, cars have been producting over 280hp for quite a while now. They were all just "rated at" 280hp. :wink:

That's absoultely right DM. Otherwise the heft of R34's wouldn't be shown making the 400m times they have stock as well as others. The Skylines were noted to be producing up to 350hp, EVO's and STi's in the 300 or maybe a little more, etc, etc. That has at least been the word on the street, while yes, they are LISTED as 280hp.

For reasons unknown, I never did understand the Gentlemen's agreement. Most countries such as the US, Germany, Italy and Australia, have power wars against other car makers in the same country. It will be interesting to see once the power figures for the STi come out. Well they try and level the playing field or destroy it? Adam.

[quote name='frontrangeSubie'][quote name='SUBE555']Yup, like all that luxury hocus pocus stuff that I didn't want in a Limited trim so I got a regular GT. :D[/quote] You'll find out how valuable the Regular GT value will be when you trade it in. :lol:[/quote] Who says anything about trading it in? I plan to be in this car for a long while...

Archived