LegacyGT.com

Installed Cobb Sways Yesterday - Review and installation summary

JoeFromPA

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Re92s are truly terrible in the snow....my old Saab 9-2x Aero w/ 205/55/16 re92s were far superior.

So I'm carefully driving....but in driving in snow up to 4-5" and taking very moderate turns, there is no difference in feel than stock except that the body doesn't roll and the steering feels great.

One thing to add: Unfortunately, I need to get back under the car or pay someone to do it. I'm getting alot of "clicking".....it's not clunking, it's hard to reproduce, but it's definitely clicking.

I'm thinking that the H-Brace with it's 14 bolts might be the issue. One of the bolts never did go back in.....I'm thinking that 13 bolts is not sufficient to keep it from clicking :)

Joe

Hey people. Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread. I just had these installed about three weeks ago. I've been lurking around following threads about suspension upgrades for quite some time. This thread finally convinced me to try the matched sway bars (yes, with reinforcement brackets). My only experience with suspension mods until now was on my 1996 Nissan Maxima. Shortly before I traded it in for my LGT I had a set of springs and struts installed. My main goal was to reduce body roll and to "flatten" turns. I was disapointed. The ride was too harsh for my taste and the body roll didn't seem to be reduced the way I hoped for.

After reading Joe's thread and seeing TPLGT, g2redgsr, and mrjk77 reactions I finally decided to go for it. This was EXACTLY what I had hoped for. Huge reduction in body roll, much flatter/tighter/crisper/stable in the turns and virtually no affect on ride quality.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone else out there who is interested in greatly improving handling without changing ride comfort/compliance.

- Hanslo

lolz. welcome to the forums.

anyway, with the snow storm that hit most of the US last weekend and esp. NE (some parts of maine got 40" wtf) i finally got my snow driving in with the sways. not sure what to comment on besides what has already been said. really no body roll to speak of in the snow and it's a point and shoot kinda deal with steering. the car really goes where i want it to and any sliding around is completely expected.

will be moving onto stage II and new brakes for 2009!

Thanks.

I'm still riding on the OEM RE92s so any input I have regarding snow performance is irrelevant until I rectify that. Other than the sways I am completely stock right now. The access port is probably the only other performance mod on my radar but that probably isn't going to happen until Xmas 2009. I might play around with the grille next spring.

- Hanslo

haha you sound like me.

sways were the first mod i did. (which was awesome)

AP was the 2nd. (which was not as awesome, but still good)

oh btw, both me and joe are on the RE92s. mine are still practically "new" and will wait until next year to replace them. for me, they are adequate. barely. will get the RE960s when the time comes.

yeah once you start, you cannot stop. i'll have to save some cash to see what i can get for stage 2. ideally, i'll do that with the brake upgrades at the same time, but i guess that's for another thread.

I have had my car for two years and have over 40,000 miles on my RE92s and they still have a decent amount of tread left. I have found them to be pretty good tires. Snow performance is poor, not dangerously horrible, just poor. Otherwise they have been quite competent. I'll replace them when its time. I'm leaning toward the RE960s or the ContiExtremes. But this is also probably best in another post.

I'm off to TN tomorrow morning to see the family.

Merry christmas.

- Hanslo

i'm curious about this too. looks like $150 for the cobb and ~125 for perrin endlinks. ugh.

HAPPY 2009.

I wrestled with getting aftermarket ELs but decided to stay stock. I have read a decent amount on them and determined that the stockers are good for the daily-aggressive driving I would be doing.

I I was going to track or Auto X the car, I would definitley upgrade!

Rehab is for quitters.

I wrestled with getting aftermarket ELs but decided to stay stock. I have read a decent amount on them and determined that the stockers are good for the daily-aggressive driving I would be doing.

I I was going to track or Auto X the car, I would definitley upgrade!

yeah, sounds reassuring. now i can save that cash and get the DP of my dreams! woohoo. :p

yeah, sounds reassuring. now i can save that cash and get the DP of my dreams! woohoo. :p

Hells yeah! Get the UP and DP and go stage 2! Start the New Year off right!

Rehab is for quitters.

that's right TP. i couldn't think of a better new year's. :p

hmm. not to go too far OT with this, but i've actually been reading (on here) about going stage 2 for a few months now. that "search" thingy up top is helpful, but only so much. when search results hits yield "official spotted vancouver thread" it's tough to find useful info. but there is some great stuff in some of the other threads, such as "where to being with your modifications" and "attn: new members look here first".

seems to me that replacing the DP would put me at "officially" stage 1.5 or 1+. but i can still use a stage 2 map(?). HOWEVER, i'm looking to do the UP, DP and CBE (and brakes?!?!) all at once. if i can go faster, i want to be able to stop faster too. :p makes sense to me. anyway, with the myriad of options for the pipes, i'm probably looking at the invidia up, invidia down or cobb down, and SPT CBE. anyone with this setup?

yes, i've looked at this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86847&highlight=spt+cbe

and this one:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75964&highlight=cobb+rsb+spt+exhaust&page=2

and a bunch of others.

well, after some initial calculations, the entire setup seems to be ~$1500. :eek: thats without install costs and any brake upgrades. :spin: DO NOT TELL THE WIFE!

maybe just do the DP? seems like a lot to me but wth, its 2009!

but then again, i am saving ~$150 for not having to get the endlinks so that should justify my purchase. :lol:

if you're going to go stage 2 i'd suggest replacing the UP for peace of mind. the cat in the UP can blow apart and damage the turbo, its even been reported at stock levels, let alone stage 2 power. maybe just do UP/DP and save the CBE for another time? at least the UP/DP will be a stealth install, no real obvious visual evidence that you did anything to the car for the wifey ;) ....she might only notice a sound change if she's got a detailed ear.

and for an on-topic comment: cobb sways look like a good matched pair. definitely on my watch list. i'm doing pinks/hd's in the spring, though, wanna feel the difference in just that before i do anything else...

This review is killing me.

Now I'm torn between the Cobb matched set and the Whiteline matched set.

Are the Cobb bars hollows like the Whitelines? What's the diameter of the Cobb bars; I thought I read 25mm for the rear bar somewhere.

Whichever sways get thrown under my car, they will be mated to the suspension using Kartboy endlinks.

So it's been 2 months now and I can't remember how the car was stock. These were an easy top-notch initial investment in happiness for an everyday driver. The stock tires, in winter temperatures and with these sway bars, are not cutting it. But they'll remain on for awhile yet...

I'm going to get under the car soon and check everything out. I'm getting more and more frequent loud "clicking" from under the car. It's not clunking or rubbing, just a tapping noise occasionally. Happens at the very instant of weight transition....i.e. as soon as you first apply the brake...but doesn't continue at all when doing anything. Just happens once.

I have no idea if it's loose sway bars (i.e. loosely attached to the endlinks), loose bushing straps, or maybe even my stock metal h-brace was not tightened correctly and it's clicking against the subframe. I'm hoping the last, as I was only able to get 13 out of the original 14 bolts back into that h-brace....the 14th never would go back in :)

Otherwise, I know that I'm satisfied with the handling of this car now....at least, I will be after new tires. And then around 60k it'll be time for new dampers.....oh wait, that negates my first sentence :)

Power delivery is the next "must address" issue.

Joe

yeah, i've been impressed with the handling of the car in the snow, even with stockers on. like you joe, i have completely forgotten what the car was like with the stock sways. i did get a ride home from my friend with a 2.5i on sat night, but i was pretty drunk to notice the handling :lol: i'll have to ask her for a ride some other time.

according to TP's research, i'm not going to get endlinks. i haven't heard of any noises or clicking. then again i assume my mechanic was able to get all the bolts back on and he did put the reinforcement brackets on.

i'll just deal with driving a little slower in the cold/ice/snow for now. soon i'll get my up/dp and be on my way to stage 2.

So it's been 2 months now and I can't remember how the car was stock. These were an easy top-notch initial investment in happiness for an everyday driver...Joe

Yep.

The other day I drove down a local road that has a few miles of mild twistyness with my wife in the passenger seat. She always gets a little car sick down this road. When we got to the end I asked her if she noticed any difference in the ride with the sway bars installed. She said "No, not really." Then I asked her if she was car sick. She looked at me a little surprised and said "No, not really.";)

- Hanslo

This review is killing me.

Now I'm torn between the Cobb matched set and the Whiteline matched set.

Are the Cobb bars hollows like the Whitelines? What's the diameter of the Cobb bars; I thought I read 25mm for the rear bar somewhere.

Whichever sways get thrown under my car, they will be mated to the suspension using Kartboy endlinks.

The Whitelines are solid bars and the front Whiteline front is 24 mm, the cobb front is 25mm the cobbs, BTW goob call for the Kartboys :)

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I'm going to get under the car soon and check everything out. I'm getting more and more frequent loud "clicking" from under the car. It's not clunking or rubbing, just a tapping noise occasionally. Happens at the very instant of weight transition....i.e. as soon as you first apply the brake...but doesn't continue at all when doing anything. Just happens once.

I have no idea if it's loose sway bars (i.e. loosely attached to the endlinks), loose bushing straps, or maybe even my stock metal h-brace was not tightened correctly and it's clicking against the subframe. I'm hoping the last, as I was only able to get 13 out of the original 14 bolts back into that h-brace....the 14th never would go back in :)

I get a lot of noise now that I have the sways on. At first they were quiet, then I started getting that same kind of clicking. I can tighten things up and move things around, but I can't permanently cure this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually ended up needing to get an endlink from Napa. Its a good looking part. The bolt is bigger than that stock piece, and it doesn't rely on needing an allen wrench to tighten it. I got it torqued down to spec with some blue loc-tite and the noise I've had in my front end is completely gone. It was pretty obvious that after my original install the nut had backed off where the end link hooks up to the sway. The sway was bouncing back and forth between there.

The moral of the story (as usual) is that I'm an idiot, and torque things to spec.

just got my F&R installed. Car feels different. Comming around an exit ramp took it kinda fast to see how it reacted and got a lot of overstear. The good thing though it felt like a good controlled 4 wheel drift as the tires let loose and not omg im going to die.

Archived