LegacyGT.com

Installed Cobb Sways Yesterday - Review and installation summary

JoeFromPA

My install went OK for both front and rear. The front had a bumping sound in the driver's side suspension when going over small bumps. I ended up replacing the stock endlinks and re-torqued them-- this seems to have fixed theh problem. It is hard to torque the stock endlinks with that hex key to keep the bolt from turning. The after market endlinks were much easier to torque properly.

Although I torqued the front brackets back to 35 per Cobb instructions, I still had the sway walk over to the side after some aggressive cornering. I maked the bar against the bracket with a Sharpie and will keep an eye on it, but it is a little concerning- I wouldn't want to go much more than 35 with those brackets and bolts. One writeup here showed some half inch stainless shaft collars installed on the bar at the outboard side of the brackets. It might be a good idea if it continues to walk on me. Overall I really like the change in handling, but the movement in the bracket isn't too cool. Has anyone ever heard of Cobb weighing in on this?

Update: these guys were real asshats when I tried to get the nuts sent out- wanted me to fax the sales receipt and generally gave me a hard time. I've heard from vendors here that Perrin has poor quality control when it comes to shipping all the parts and and fasteners. I'm sure that they're aware of this, but they just seem to want to make it a hassle to resolve. They should have just dropped four nuts in a padded envelope and been done with it- no questions asked. I mean, really- do they think I'm trying to get a $1.50 freebie? Just write it off to good will and customer service. They really don't get it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so, somethings squeeking when i go over speedbumps now, im guessing the front endlinks that i didnt replace....sigh

Agreed. Re-tighten all bolts and re-grease. Your endlinks shouldn't squeak because they are bolted to a new sway bar, if they didn't squeak before. You've either got an unlubricated surface rubbing, or something loose.

My install went OK for both front and rear. The front had a bumping sound in the driver's side suspension when going over small bumps. I ended up replacing the stock endlinks and re-torqued them-- this seems to have fixed theh problem. It is hard to torque the stock endlinks with that hex key to keep the bolt from turning. The after market endlinks were much easier to torque properly.

So, odd story. I did the install myself and had to use the allen wrench to hold the bolt while tightening with a ratcheting wrench. I obviously didn't tighten enough though, because it came loose.

I took it to my indy mechanic to check out when I had something come loose. He re-tightened to sway-bar-to-end-link with a snap-on air socket with no allen wrench.

Worked like a charm and no problems in the 4-6 weeks since.

Joe

He re-tightened to sway-bar-to-end-link with a snap-on air socket with no allen wrench.

Worked like a charm and no problems in the 4-6 weeks since.

Joe

Sounds like the air socket has enough torque to tighten the nut w/o the allen? I used the exact same arrangement that you did- ratcheting wrench and allen wrench and ended up with the bumping sound. The endlinks looked wimpy next to the Cobb sway, so I changed them out to some Perrin endlinks (I'm in so deep now $$ it won't make that much difference- :lol:). It did fix the problem though, so I'm overall happy.

The rear endlinks arrived w/o the nuts- $100+ bucks for a tiny scrap of aluminum, bushings, and bolts- shame on them, for that price they should get it right. More down time and a trip to NAPA for the right nuts- or wait 5 days for Perrin to ship from Oregon. I should at least get a T-shirt or hat out of the deal. I wonder if they read this.....Naw!

Just installed my sway bars and kart boy end links, I was worried about the bar possibly not clearing my perrin cat back but had no issues at all with fitment. Only problem i had was Fred Beans accidentally sent me two 'drivers' side reinforcement brackets, so I will have to contact Fred Beans on monday to try and get a passenger side reinforcement bracket sent out, shouldn't be a problem.

Initial opinion, great mod, great bang for the buck. I have practically no roll at all, can give throttle through turns again with confidence. These bars are worth it alone just for being able to make standard right and left turns solidly without a major lean, that used to annoy me bad. The sways/end links are a little bit more jarring when driving over pot holes and such but not much more harsh than the stock bars. All in all I am extemely pleased with the fitment of the cobb bars and the way they perform. I will chime in a little later when I've gotten a chance to push my car a little bit on the twisties and have my summer wheels/tires on.

• 4 months later...

After almost 6 months of use, I have nothing but praise for my cobb sways and kartboy end links. The car handles great, I push it on turns way too often with my 18"s and summer rubber on. The new setup hasn’t really made the car harsher to drive over the stock sways when taking dips and pot holes if there is a difference its very minor. All in all I haven’t had any desire to add any other suspension components since I put these on, highly recommended.

I'll say this, cause I do kinda forget what they felt like beforehand: I don't notice any great highway push in wind nowadays.

But for all I know, I could just be driving in a direction that never gets a good side-slap at the leggy :)

I doubt sways would benefit that aspect honestly, but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...
I just purchased a front cobb sway with AVO endlinks CHEAP. I noticed its adjustable. Which hole should I install it on for the best comfort ride? thanks in advance.

Interesting, I have Cobb front and rear bars that I installed in January. In my case, only the rear was adjustable. Are you positive it is a front anti-sway bar and not a rear? Perhaps the older Cobb front versions were adjustable (I don't know)? For the rear, the hole closest to the ends of the bar provided the best ride comfort.

I just purchased a front cobb sway with AVO endlinks CHEAP. I noticed its adjustable. Which hole should I install it on for the best comfort ride? thanks in advance.

I've got it set on the stiffest setting to me it feels like absolutely no difference in ride comfort in terms of impact over bumps.

In terms of handling it's great the stiff setting combined with a good alignment eliminated most of the chasis's understeer, with no noticeable adverse effects in incliment conditions, snow, rain etc.

Interesting, I have Cobb front and rear bars that I installed in January. In my case, only the rear was adjustable. Are you positive it is a front anti-sway bar and not a rear? Perhaps the older Cobb front versions were adjustable (I don't know)? For the rear, the hole closest to the ends of the bar provided the best ride comfort.

MY B. I meant rear

Archived