LegacyGT.com

*** Knock, do you have any?

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a stiff tranny mount but can't really blame that since the knock has been there before I got it although some FLKC activity has coincided before with the torque converter either locking or unlocking.

I did find the odd loose screw on stock heatshields etc, removed all.

LCA bushings are brand new, I haven't checked engine mounts lately but I will again. I do know I need to replace suspension components since it's all OEM and I'm at 105K and it's definitely starting to get clunky and soft.

This is a typical Stage 2 with a giant Perrin TMIC and ported TGVs. Nothing else noteworthy mechanically speaking.

Edited by fishbone

If my AF learning A is 6.1 what does this mean? the others are around -.7 , .07. and like 1.02. hittin target boost.

cob ots stage2 stock air box

it means your ecu is detecting you afr is too lean and it's adding 6% more fuel in order to reach 14.7 at idle. your maf scaling may be too low and the ecu is compensating. general you'd like to see negative (richer) rather than leaner. the rest of your numbers are great so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

• 4 weeks later...
you should also say exactly what mods you have. but like i said, you have enough knock to cause a drop in IAM/DAM. not good. if you're on a cobb stage 2 map (which i'm assuming you are), change down to the 91 octane one.

Yea it's the Cobb stage II. My mods are Perrin TMIC, Invidia UP, Perrin DP, stromung CBE, and a few others that aren't related to the map. This is the second time I've heard to do the Cobb 91 map, so I'll do that, thanks guys!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

If I log FBKC for a WOT run and there's no correction for knock, that would lead me to believe I'm relatively ok... Correct?

I will occasionally log Boost and FDKC independantly just to see that I'm not knocking and can still hit peak boost, but I'm not an experienced logger. Been running Cobb's stg1 maps on my last couple Subaru's without issue, and all my motors have had great compression when tested. Pretty much have always run a catless UP of some sort, clean filters on the stock intake, and stock DP with aftermarket CBE of some sort.

This is slowly becoming my next project to tackle with regard to modding, and a large reason why I haven't gone past stg1.

If I log FBKC for a WOT run and there's no correction for knock, that would lead me to believe I'm relatively ok... Correct?

I will occasionally log Boost and FDKC independantly just to see that I'm not knocking and can still hit peak boost, but I'm not an experienced logger. Been running Cobb's stg1 maps on my last couple Subaru's without issue, and all my motors have had great compression when tested. Pretty much have always run a catless UP of some sort, clean filters on the stock intake, and stock DP with aftermarket CBE of some sort.

This is slowly becoming my next project to tackle with regard to modding, and a large reason why I haven't gone past stg1.

fbkc only tells you if you're currently knocking. you still need to log DAM and fine learning knock to see if there's previous knock events bad enough for the ecu to learn to reduce timing. your fbkc might be zero the entire pull yet you could have oogles of learned knock or an iam/dam of less than 1.

doobaru don't bother with a tune, you have a mechanical problem. it's knocking the same amount as with the 93 map...

Any idea on where to start? It has the original turbo, would it pick up on crappy old VF40 inconsistencies?

well, if you think you have bad gas, you can empty that tank out, fill with good 93, reset ecu and try again, if the fine learn knock is still more than -2 then compression test.

Hmm, like I mentioned before, it was a tiny little getty mart with Exxon 93, and I usually buy Sunoco 93 so I guess it's possible. I'll drive easily until next fill-up and post up again. This is so discouraging. Can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys taking time to help!

fbkc only tells you if you're currently knocking. you still need to log DAM and fine learning knock to see if there's previous knock events bad enough for the ecu to learn to reduce timing. your fbkc might be zero the entire pull yet you could have oogles of learned knock or an iam/dam of less than 1.

So if log FLKC, IAT or DAM independantly for a WOT run, what should I look for there?

I said IAM, not IAT(intake air temp)....Mostly for those people reading this that don't use cobb. IAM is DAM for open source people. Don't log independently, just add it to your log parameters(you know you can log multiple parameters at once to file).

If you just want to know if you're knocking at all, or in the recent past, log FLKC and DAM. If you only log FLKC, you could very well have 0 all across the board but your DAM could be <1, which means you had significant knock in the past and the ecu is fractioning your total ignition down so that you don't have any more learned knock. That's still a bad situation even if your FLKC is all 0's.

When you put the 91 map on, did you reset the ECU? Or did you just load a realtime map? I don't believe the AP will reset your ECU upon loading a realtime. ReFLASH, don't just upload a realtime map.

Then give your DAM time to climb back up to 1 after the reset. The DAM/IAM starts out below 1 on an ECU reset/flash, unless someone set up the map differently.