LegacyGT.com

*** Knock, do you have any?

LittleBlueGT

One knock does not make for a problem that needs to be fixed. If you consistently get knock in the same load and RPM ranges, then you need to address it. In addition, it looks like you hit the throttle, and then let off for a split second, and then went WOT. That can easily induce knock (pumping the throttle). Edited by iNVAR

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the on ramps to a highway as long as they are pretty straight. by the time the your done logging your mostly likely going to blending in with the speed everyone else is going. I know here is jersey everyone is doing 80 or more on the parkway to its easy to blend in. although im doing more than 80 by the time my log is done

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

I am new to logging. Can anyone tell me why there is neither FBKC nor knock sum in the list of parameters in the RR's logger application? I see: knock correction advance, FLKC and roughness monitor per cylinder, that's it in terms of knock monitoring. I have RR ver. 0.54

• Mega Users
1byte and 4byte. I think they will give you the same information though. Just make sure you are also logging knock sum so you know if you are seeing timing reduced from learned knock or an actual knock event. I use FBKC.

so.....what's the difference between learned knock and actual knock event ...sorry for noob question

Feedback is a knock event, its literally when the knock sensor hears a knock. Learned knock is the ecu pulling timing in an area because it has heard feedback in the same area multiple times. It says "damn, it has been knocking here a lot, lets pull timing since its obviously a trouble area" so that next firing order doesnt actively knock and trigger more feedback

Edited by bmx045

*late.

With learned knock correction the ecu reduces timing in an area when you previously knocked. So lets say one day you knocked at 3200 PRM and 1.5 load. The ECU will remember that area and reduce 1.5 degrees of timing (only in that specific area). Next time you drive through that region (3200 RPM and 1.5 Load) the ecu will reduce 1.5 degrees of timin timing whether you knock or not.

It is not really learned knock, it learns to correct (pull timing) in an area you historically knocked. Eventually, if there is no more knock in the region, it will slowly add timing back.

An actual knock event, is what it sounds like.

• Mega Users
Flkc will show you timing being retarded from either a current knock event or a previous one that it learned from. Knock sum is just a counter for knock events, so the number will just go up every time there is knock.

• Mega Users
Feedback is a knock event, its literally when the knock sensor hears a knock. Learned knock is the ecu pulling timing in an area because it has heard feedback in the same area multiple times. It says "damn, it has been knocking here a lot, lets pull timing since its obviously a trouble area" so that next firing order doesnt actively knock and trigger more feedback

But a single knock under the right circumstances will trigger fbkc. Feedback does not learn and is generally for any knock that does not fall into the fbkc category. The ecu will decide whether to pull timing for feedback or fine learning when there is knock.