LegacyGT.com

Stage 1....my car stalled out...

croll326

well, I had another stall out. yesterday morning when I left work (6:30am-ish, the rain/snow mix it was about 33*) started the car up, started leaving work had to turn around because i forgot to send an email. parked, did my business, came back to the car start it up and leave. get to the exit of work, stop, press the gas to go and it stalls out. start it back up and hit the gas, almost stalls again but i gave it a little punch to stop it from dying. i had to torque brake a little in order to get out of my work parking lot into the street so it wouldnt stall. the problem for me does not seem to be when the RPM's are coming down, but rather when i try to go again after stopping. I didn't let the car idle at all this time, i just started up and went (previous time this happened i let the car idle for a minute or two while i cleaned off my windows).

this is starting to bother me. after tonight, though, i have 2 weeks off from work so I'm going to try my hardest to find a solution. FWIW it seems like this problem is 5EAT specific. I'm not running a Cobb map, but I'm assuming it is just the Cobb stage 1 tweaked for my intake and maybe a few other tweaks. my tuner thinks things are all good on his end so I'm not sure what to do. this problem didn't happen pre-stage 1, and pre-stage 1 i had an SPT intake, now I have an AEM with my stage 1. but it was also warm outside before i went stage 1 so i have no control portion of the experiment.

this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92229 has some possible things to do to find a solution. I just got an updated map from my tuner for safety revisions (nothing to do with this problem) so I'm going to flash it this weekend and see if anything changes. I'm going to flash, turn key to on, wait 10 seconds (it took about that long to crank on the first flash i did), start the car, let it idle for a few minutes so it can learn idle stuff, and go from there. gah this is frustrating...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i had another stall out. again and again. snow storm here, so i decided to take out the LGT and see what it could do :) anyway, had all the necessary things on, defrost, etc. waiting to pull out into the street and it dies. blah.

started right up, as usual.

whatever, i found a off street parking lot, pretty hidden and completely empty. about 6" of white stuff on the ground and i was having some fun. trying to get use to the AWD. still on the stockers. you can really get the car go round and round...its friggin' great. wish the lot was a little bigger so i could get some speed and drift around. heading out to the burbs tomorrow, so i hope i can find another lot they haven't plowed yet. apparently south shore got more snow than we did in boston/brighton.

Snow up here too. About 15" or so.

I had heated seats, rear defroster, heater, heated wipers all on the first 10 min. or so of driving. My car consistently bogged out a little when starting from a stop. Never stalled, but felt like it was close. The is the first winter I've been Cobb Stg. 1 with my car. Never noticed this when I was stock in the winter or summer @ Stg. 1 for that matter.

I turned off the heated seats and wipers and immediately the bogging was gone. Coincedense? I didn't get a chance to turn them back on and see if it immediately came back as I was in rush hour traffic on my way home in a snow storm. Didn't want to press my luck.

Either way.. I love this car in the snow. It just wants to go forward...point it there and it goes that way. Easy to bring the tail out if you want to have fun too. Car is amazingly stable if driven slowly. Never loses its footing.

mrjk77 wait until you get some decent tires if you like it on stockers. :)

oooo you're from ro-cha-cha. i lived there for 4 years. too bad i didn't have the LGT back then, i would have enjoyed it more. we did get some awesome lake effect while i was there.

anyway, i'll try flashing the 1.18 maps. yeah i'll idle down to ~300 after the car is warm.

Yep, here now. But I grew up in Worcester..in your neck of the woods. :) This car is perfect for the weather up here.

yeah man. went out for more driving fun today. plows were trying to keep on top of the storm, but it snowed here all day.

no problems with bogging.

love the awd in this car. slush, snow is nothing. :) can't imagine what it's like with some snow tires. i'll stick with the stockers this winter (still practically new). happy drifting

The ECU needs to learn where the idle point is after its lost power, I am assuming its the same for the COBB, but maybe they took the learning part out of the ECU after the flash, my car idles around 600rpms, and I would think 550 is about as low as you want to go when you need to power acc like defrost etc. I am thinking about going stage 1 with my tax check, but with your bad bogging/stalling makes me hesitant, even if the 30+ HP gains look good.

One question I have is that all the maps shown on COBB's website all the maps show AT or automatic trans in their map notes, are there different maps for the MT vehicles?

Thanks

you update your accessport to the latest version of firmware and the option is in there. they rearranged all the menus so i can give you a walk through unless i go outside and hook it up but its pretty easy to find.

awesome ill try that later today

^ any luck? i updated both the maps and the firmware on the AP...and reflashed to 1.18 on 12/24. drove down to NYC and back with no problems, but it was all highway driving. i'll have to see with the stop and go driving during my normal commute, but it seems to have worked. *crosses fingers*

^ any luck? i updated both the maps and the firmware on the AP...and reflashed to 1.18 on 12/24. drove down to NYC and back with no problems, but it was all highway driving. i'll have to see with the stop and go driving during my normal commute, but it seems to have worked. *crosses fingers*

havent reflashed to 1.18 to do the idle rev increase, but am going to do so this afternoon.

ill have to wait for colder weather since its going to warm up in the next few days, but sschmelcke seems to have gotten good results. see what your car does on cold morning starts.

Yea, that's what prompted me to even look for the new maps to begin with.

I'm just waiting for the dust to settle a little. If there are problems with 1.17 and back, then what's to say there isn't a (or another) problem with the current maps? How many 1000's of hours of run time do people have with this problem already....can't imagine the odds of me running into a problem from another couple weeks or whatever.

interesting. well, i flashed to 1.18 and it's been running fine for the past week. although, i haven't tried my super-duper test of turning everything on (both seat warmers, windshield deicer, front defrost w/AC, rear defrost, radio).

gmoe, pls get me a garbage plate and fedex it to boston :)

Archived