LegacyGT.com

Stage 1....my car stalled out...

croll326

interesting. well, i flashed to 1.18 and it's been running fine for the past week. although, i haven't tried my super-duper test of turning everything on (both seat warmers, windshield deicer, front defrost w/AC, rear defrost, radio).

gmoe, pls get me a garbage plate and fedex it to boston :)

the a/c bumps up the revs-cheater! :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting. well, i flashed to 1.18 and it's been running fine for the past week. although, i haven't tried my super-duper test of turning everything on (both seat warmers, windshield deicer, front defrost w/AC, rear defrost, radio).

Cool.. I'll be going to 1.18 this weekend very likely.

One garbage plate coming right up! That'll be $99.95 plus tax. Inflation... you know? ;)

Cool.. I'll be going to 1.18 this weekend very likely.

One garbage plate coming right up! That'll be $99.95 plus tax. Inflation... you know? ;)

geez. it's true i left rochester back in 2004, but man. it's a little steep for a plate of grease. how about $19.95 + tax? :p

i noticed a bunch of people saying that their car took longer to start the first time after a flash.

that's normal. it's your ECU rebooting. if you don't want to have to keep cranking, you can turn the key to the on position (dashboard on) and wait about 5-10 seconds. THEN crank and it should start right up.

so today I flashed my new map from my tuner, it was only a safety update in the map, the same change listed above about Cobb's 1.18 maps, but tuned for my car.

after the flash, shut the car off, put key to ON position, waited about 15secs for the ECU to reboot, it started right up. I let it idle for i dunno 5min or something? from cold to a little past half way warmed up (meaning a little past the quarter dash on the temp gauge, in between that in the optimal middle position). it is 19*F out, car started out idling at almost 2k RPM because it is so cold, I waited until it was below 1k RPM to drive it.

took it for a short drive and it seems like the hesitation has disappeared so far. the car still needs to learn and stuff so we'll see how it goes. it didn't show up instantly last time so I'm gonna give it a few days and see if things change.

if it comes back, the next step will be bumping the RPMs.....to be continued....

yeah let me know what happens, snow05. the past few cold mornings, the car starts out idling at ~1.5k RPM. i usually let it just sit for a minute or two and then drive off. until it gets to that 1/4 mark, i keep it under 3k RPMS. a few times, after the engine temp has reached the 1/2 mark, i've retried my uber test: turning on everything possible in the car.

both heated seats, the windshield wiper deicer, front defrost w/AC, rear defrost, fan on max, radio, headlights, foglights, etc. the car bogged down twice (that i can remember), after pulling this manuever since my reflash to 1.18. did not die completely though.

i'll try it again today after i leave work and will bump up 300 rpms.

yeah let me know what happens, snow05. the past few cold mornings, the car starts out idling at ~1.5k RPM. i usually let it just sit for a minute or two and then drive off. until it gets to that 1/4 mark, i keep it under 3k RPMS. a few times, after the engine temp has reached the 1/2 mark, i've retried my uber test: turning on everything possible in the car.

both heated seats, the windshield wiper deicer, front defrost w/AC, rear defrost, fan on max, radio, headlights, foglights, etc. the car bogged down twice (that i can remember), after pulling this manuever since my reflash to 1.18. did not die completely though.

i'll try it again today after i leave work and will bump up 300 rpms.

300rpm seems like a lot-what does your car normally idle at after warmed up? i bumped mine up 50 and it worked out okay. id say 100 is prob more than enough.

300rpm seems like a lot-what does your car normally idle at after warmed up? i bumped mine up 50 and it worked out okay. id say 100 is prob more than enough.

i *thought* i saw something on the AP that allows you to bump up by 300 rpm increments. guess i was wrong. lol. anyway, normally idles, after being fully warmed up, at around 300-400 rpms. seems kinda low to me.

i *thought* i saw something on the AP that allows you to bump up by 300 rpm increments. guess i was wrong. lol. anyway, normally idles, after being fully warmed up, at around 300-400 rpms. seems kinda low to me.

it allows a max of 300rpm adjustment, in increments of 25 i think. you can get some pretty precise fine tuning.

your car idles at 300-400? that cant be-it would be sounding like a funny car. use the ap to check the idle revs.

it allows a max of 300rpm adjustment, in increments of 25 i think. you can get some pretty precise fine tuning.

your car idles at 300-400? that cant be-it would be sounding like a funny car. use the ap to check the idle revs.

ah, cool. obviously i have never tried the idle adjustment (yet), but i just remember seeing the 300 rpm thing while scrollign through the options once.

yeah wth do i know. i'll let the ap tell me whats going on and will repost my results! FTL :(

i forgot to post this pic when i was updating (aka "preforming") my AP.

noobs at cobb need to learn how to spell. :lol:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/mrjk77/misc%20pics/DSCF0881.jpg

its pre forming it.. it wasn't formed before. :lol:

you and your fancy AP screen. Back in my day APs were back lit calculator style LCD.. AND WE LIKED IT! and we had serial cables... IN THE SNOW! :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

well, I had thought I kicked this problem but I don't think I have. I had (have) a CEL for a stupid wheel speed sensor (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102887) which results in my radiator fans to be constantly running and the car is in semi-limp mode, doesnt allow me to rev higher than like 4200RPM. I reflashed while I still had this problem, and just got it fixed last friday (sort of). The CEL was now gone over the weekend and I was able to get on the engine a little more. While the car had the CEL going with the fans running, I never got any sort of stall out or drop in RPM. Yesterday, however, the low RPM shudder/nearly stall out came back. Though it could have also been due to the lower temps (around 10-20*F, versus 30-40*F for the week with the CEL). This time it was not just happening when the car was cold, it was happening on a fully warmed up engine as well. When the engine starts to sputter, the headlights dimmed severely. It happened when I had no electronics running, and also when I had all the electronics running.

The CEL has come back as of last night, so I'll see if the sputter happens while the CEL (and accompanying fans) is still on. After I get that fixed/cleared again, I'll give it a couple days to see if the sputter comes back without the CEL/fans. If it does I think my next step is to bump the RPMs.

Damnit.

seems to be limited only to cold starts in colder temps, with a bunch of accessories going.

I've had it happen in a number of different combinations. Cold start, cold weather; cold start, semi warm weather; after the car is fully warmed up; with accessories and without accessories.

From what I can tell, it is only happening on the 5EAT and none of the MT cars. At least none of the MT cars have spoken up here. And everyone on here that has said that happened seems to have an 05 or 06.

I'm thinking that re-flashing while I had the CEL and radiator fans running may have messed up the learning? I don't know. I think I'm going to reset the ECU after I finally get that CEL and problem associated with it fixed.

I just feel like it shouldn't be necessary to raise the idle RPMs. That doesn't seem right, though I guess it can't hurt the car.

I have an 07 5MT and have this problem. Mine is issolated to idle problem only happening from when the blue SI drive light turns off to when the car reaches operating temperature. When it's cold, it's fine. When it's fully warmed up it's fine. I had this problem with the stock map and thought maybe there was a bug in it so I loaded my stage one Cobb OTS map and the problem remained. This morning I raised the idle RPM by 75 RPM and the problem seems to have dissapeared.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the problem got worse. It got really cold here last week(-23 degrees F) and the car actually died on me and tripped a lean bank one code as well as misfire on cylinders 1, 2, and 3. I cleaned the MAF and the problem remains. I also checked for any vacuum leaks and found none. I'm back with the stock map waiting until next weekend so the dealer can diagnose.

• 7 years later...
Don't mean to start up a new thread but just putting in my solution I have discovered after experiencing stalling with temps <40 outside. I had a loose Vaccuum line in the front. It was seated but you could easily slide it off (My tuner told me about this common problem) I put a zip tie around it and raised the RPM 125 and the car hasn't even stuttered. It has currently been snowing and in the 25-38 degree range outside.

Archived