LegacyGT.com

A-Pillar gauge pod installed with pics!

VaultBoy

AFR will be useful if you're going to be doing some ECU tuning (or getting some done by a tuner). If you're going to use an OTS map from the Accessport it's really not going to help you much. All it will do is show you how rich the Cobb maps run (safety first!). Oil Pressure is a more useful one in some respects for the level you'd be at. It will show you the rise and fall of oil pressure as you drive the car (wooooohhhh needle moving!) and you'll be able to recognize any oil pressure issues by the way the needle moves once you understand what its doing relative to what the motor is doing. Reduced or No oil pressure = motor only seconds from being a paperweight. That said if your oil pressure hits nil you really probably wont be able to save it even if you shut it off right away. If your car is running an A/F ratio that is damaging your stock O2 sensor(s) will probably catch it anyways (may allow one or two pending codes but eventually it will through a CEL on the dash indicating an unsafe lean/rich condition. Had this happen before on my stg2 setup so I know it works :D ).

Not saying an AFR is the wrong choice, but for the level you're going to be at for a while I personally get more use (peace of mind) out of my oil pressure gauge. No debating though - the AFR gauge has the bling factor heheh.

Oh and technically every car has a built in AFR gauge - its called the exhaust pipe. :lol:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three grauges and will likely add an AFR gauge when I get the car ProTuned.

Current three gauges are the STI Performance Gauge pack (Boost, OP and OT). Boost and OP for obvious reasons, but find the Oil Temp to be a good indicator of what's happening internal to the engine/turbo)

Case-in-point, yesterday, I was driving between Cali and AZ with a Yak 16 cu/ft skybox on top and the cruise set to about 78. Under normal daily driving, the OT hits it's target and stays right there (within a few degrees dependent upon ambient cooling).

But pulling the mountains east of San Diego yesterday, cruise control kept the car on boost for longer durations to compensate for the drag of the box on top (and you could see boost holding instead of dropping off like it normally does on cruise at that speed in those conditions - we drive these mountains a lot so this was definitely different). And, I could see the OT rising quite a bit which gave me an indication that the turbo was staying on boost for longer periods of time. Dropped back the cruise to 75, boost dropped a bit, and so did the oil temp. Meanwhile, through the whole pull, the coolant temp never varied from its dead-center, normal operating position.

So is OT necessary - not as much as Boost and OP - but for my money, it's worth having because it's a better indicator of what's going on internal to the engine, and particularly the turbo.

Hope this didn't jack the thread too much - but BOT - I'd want a three-gauge pillar with OP, OT, and ET on the pillar and the Boost and AFR down in the center stack/wheel area so they'd be easily visible.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^^ I have the STI gauge pack too, and love it for exactly those reasons. Any decent gauge will do the same thing obviously, but its nice to have those 3. I'm sure if I could afford an AFR gauge right now I'd get one but because I can't I'll just poo-poo their usefulness. Until I can. At which point they'll be the best thing since peanut butter.

:rolleyes:

I should have one coming as well with 3 prosport gauges for it!

Install pics as soon as you get it installed if you wouldn't mind =)

i'm assuming its gonna look GREAT, I just want to see it, and especially with the prosports since that is what i would get.

For those of you wondering about pricing and stuff here is the info off the first page :)

For those interested in a dual or triple pod-

Double pod-$140 Shipped

Triple pod-$150 Shipped

That includes a new A-piller. I would only be able to offer these in black or tan, and it does come textured as you can see in the above pictures. If you wish to have the factory cloth put on you will have to see a professional. Gauge pod holes are 52mm. Hope I can help some of you guys out.

Will do! Should be receiving the gauges today, then as soon as he is done with the pod they go in!

Install pics as soon as you get it installed if you wouldn't mind =)

i'm assuming its gonna look GREAT, I just want to see it, and especially with the prosports since that is what i would get.

I got my tripple gauge pillar today and it looks great!

I especialy liked how Jason sent me pictures of the pillar before shipping it to make sure it was what I wanted.

I did a quick test fit with the STRI gauges and it's tight. They don't seem to fit. I might be able to force them in but it would take alot of force, I'd be afraid of breaking the gauge, pod or both.

I measured the pods and they are 52mm, exactly as promised.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/DSC00983.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/DSC00997.jpg

I then measured the gauge and it is also 52mm as expected.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/DSC00998.jpg

So I'd like to be able to open up the holes just a half mm or so. Any suggestions John? Would sandpaper damage the pod at all?

Detslider

If you were to sand out the pod holes alittle that would not hurt the pod. I would of course advise that alittle be taken off at a time so that the holes do not become too big. It is better to have the holes too little then too big. Keep me posted on this as I am sure that others may have to do the same thing. I'm interested to see this installed with your gauges!

Looks good. I might consider this after I see gauges mounted.

Not to threadjack too much but Subietonic and Slightly Evil both seem to have the STi Gauge pack. Any photos of this installed in your car? Most I have seen have just been the gauge pack.

A new pillar from Subaru is like $100 (or close to that) and we took the fabric off the pillar my brother got and tried to make it work with the gauges, you don't get NEAR enough cloth to re-cover the pillar with gauges on it if that's what you were thinking. It would take a fairly large piece of cloth AND perfect cuts/wrapping to make it look right (no creases or folds). One wrong cut and the piece is wasted and you'd have to start over. We also noticed that the cloth is not very stretchy so it was hard to try to maneuver around the pods. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just very difficult and would probably cost you a lot to have a professional do it :icon_frow. One thing RaGe suggested (we will probably try this on my LGT and post pics) is also replacing the passenger's side pillar that has be de-carpeted and textured to match the driver's side. Then everything would match and only other LGT owners would know the difference.

You should consider selling the passenger side pillar to match with the same plastic covering you put over the drivers side.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

teaser picture!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/teaser.jpg

I'm not done with the install so the gauges aren't pushed all the way in.

I hope to finish tomorrow and will post a complete review/write-up shortly thereafter.

Archived