LegacyGT.com

09 Smaller Key Fob

If you've had this done on a 2005 PLEASE PM me, I brought my keys to the dealer and they told me it couldn't be done and that they kept getting an error code.

Let's keep the information in-thread.

I had it done on my 2005 without problem - minus the dealer telling me I had the wrong key at first. I just told them that it had been done and that I would like them to 'give it a shot'. I think all the techs there went and bought the keys for themselves now :p

What are they telling you? That there's an "error code"? Is this while programming it or retrieving your key code?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step by step they showed me what they did.

They plugged the key programmer attached to the subaru laptop into my car.

They punched in the legacy "code".

They put in my security code.

They then inserted my one and original key (which is the square all-in-one tribecca key).

The output on the screen said successfully registered to car.

They put in the 2009 Key it said it could not be registered.

They put in my other 2009 Key, also said could not be registered.

I've been talking with a subaru tech through PM's here, he said either they are not doing something right, the keys are bad, or the computer is bad. I had bought my keys off ebay so i'm not sure about the keys. I was gonna buy one from the dealer and have them try that, but they are getting upity with me now (this will be my 3rd trip to said dealer) about how they are too busy. I'll get this solved one way or another.

I can't help to think that this is not working because i brought my car to a locksmith and he tried some crazy key programming computer on my car, and didn't put in legacy because it wasn't an option and didn't tell me, he just kept swearing he could program the key. Either way, someday this coming week i'll get back to the dealer. I'll keep you guys updated.

They keys I got from eBay were bad..... This is just a warning, Don't buy keys from eBay! They looked new, they were blank uncut keys, but If they were ever re-keyed and used they wont work!

Needless to say the keys I got from fred beans worked perfectly thanks!

I knew they would work perfectly sir :)

• 2 weeks later...
In your owners manual is a guide for programming the new transmitter and you can have up to four. If you can't find it there look on this forum it has been posted

Yes, but you still need the dealer to program the immobilizer chip, which is where the cost is incurred.

ordered my 09 key today from Fred beans, bringing my car in to dealership for an alignment next week, I will post the extra charge to program the chip.
Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

Yes, but you still need the dealer to program the immobilizer chip, which is where the cost is incurred.

Oh I see.

Let me ask another question. I guess what you get is a blank key with the built in transmitter and they just cut it to match yours at the dealer? For some reason I didnt think these keys could be cut as easily as some other keys.

Oh I see.

Let me ask another question. I guess what you get is a blank key with the built in transmitter and they just cut it to match yours at the dealer? For some reason I didnt think these keys could be cut as easily as some other keys.

Yep. I see you're in Independence. If your dealer gives you any problems about it, either have your dealer call (or just go to) Olathe Subaru - they kind of know me and the guys always comment on how much nicer the key is when I take my car in. Plus, it was only 40 bucks and 10 minutes for them to cut/program.

dam, the dealers in my area (bay area) are charging 70 to program the immobilizer if i bring the key cut and programmed for the doors... what a rip

I've called a 1/2 dozen dealers here in Chicago, and they're all quoting $120 to program, with the exception of one who said cutting the key would be free (which Fred Beans will do, so I don't need), but that it's $90 to program. If anyone around this city knows of those dealers charging $40, please post!

$52 to program at my local dealership, 1/2 hour labor.

Just picked up my car, they said the key was "in-compatable". It does start the car, but the transmitter does not lock/unlock the doors. Do you think they actually tried inputting the eight digit code through the lock/unlock button? I will try it myself later today. If I can make it work, think I can request my $52 back?

Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

I just finished programming the new transmitter following the steps in the manual, and guess what, it worked like a charm. All buttons work. My local dealer must be very lazy, I am going to try and get my $52 back from them. Thanks Fred Beans!

I just finished programming the new transmitter following the steps in the manual, and guess what, it worked like a charm. All buttons work. My local dealer must be very lazy, I am going to try and get my $52 back from them. Thanks Fred Beans!

The steps you followed in the book are to program the wireless fob for locking/unlocking doors. The programming you require from the dealer is to program the immobilizer chip so the key will start the car.

I'm sorry, but what is it about this that people don't understand?

The steps you followed in the book are to program the wireless fob for locking/unlocking doors. The programming you require from the dealer is to program the immobilizer chip so the key will start the car.

I'm sorry, but what is it about this that people don't understand?

I understand what the difference is between the lock/unlock programming and the immobilizer programming. I just think that for $52 the dealer should do BOTH steps. If I bring my car to them with a key and ask them to make it work, why do they not take the extra five minutes to complete the process? Instead they charge a large amount and only do half the job.

My write-up slip even said the new key was "inoperable" and would not work. When I dropped the car off, my "service advisor" was skeptical, but I told her it does work, just follow the same steps as you normally do. When I picked it up, she pretty much told me "I told you so" with a smug look on her face. Is it too much to ask that the dealerships who work on our cars either know more about them than we do, or at least try to? They also told me my car was "lowered on sway bars". :spin:

In the end the 2009 key is working just fine, and is an improvement.

• 5 months later...

Archived