LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

Edit: A Google search of the Bilstein part BTS5056J number provide this http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf I'll be God damed... there is a Bilstein strut/shock/spring application for the OB XT.

I think that's what showed up in the earlier thread, which I had referred to Japanparts.

Are new top hats needed?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been away from this site for some time, more like years and when starting this thread a few days ago, search efforts didn't pan out anything significant on the Koni/Bilstein OB XT front.

Anyway...

I'll contact the Accenture Toyko office and get things moving as I'll beta test (kind of) these puppies.... Stay tuned. (there has to be a Tokyo office Partner who can assit.)

,, get Tokyo on the phone... LoL.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I too wish there was a simple replacement strut combo for the XT. We have been suffering with the floppy rear for 3 years. And I also agree the POS HVAC is the worst ever. I can't believe they still(2008)don't offer a dual mode. Who wants to change both dials evertime they want to change temperatures. My 1989 Taurus SHO had a better climate control. Subaru really needs to start concentrating on their electronics, if I'm going to consider buying another one. Anybody use the nav in the Tribeca? Yuck! Who approved that pos!

I went with the IPD RSB from Rallitek (www.RalliTEK.com a vendor on this site) and Sean took excellent care of me. I also went with the AVO swaybar reinforcement brackets. I believe the RSB is the same between the GT and the XT, just the end links are longer for the XT.

In retrospect, I would probably go with the JDM swaybar. I had a couple minor, minor fitment issues with the IPD. First, one of the flats where the end link attaches was off about 15 degrees from what it should be. Not a big problem, but I can't help but think it would compromise the strength of the end link a bit. If it pops, it will just give me an excuse to go with upgraded end links. Certainly not a big enough problem to induce me to send it back for an exchange. The second issue is that at full droop (i.e. with the rear wheels off the ground), the RSB contacts the lower arm very lightly on one side. I think this is a result of the AVO reinforcements moving the pivot point of the RSB rearwards about 1/4 inch (good thick material in the AVOs). Again, not a big thing, but the JDM bar has a different bend and would probably afford a good bit more clearance.

Lastly, you should consider the AVO mount reinforcements. The stock RSB mounts are quite thin. With the RSB removed you can move them noticeably by just pushing on them with your thumb! A number of members have already had issues with them breaking. I can't help but think metal fatigue will eventually create more victims. Since I'm planning on keeping my XT for a good while, I installed them for piece of mind.

Hey OBieXT ~ Danke for the RSB details. In the next 48 hours or so I'd anticipate an answer of "how" to both locate & import the Bilstein BTS5056J package. The world is to small a place not to be able to source this kit. After the dust settles with the Bilstein fitment, it’s onto the RSB enhancement. This Kit may determine a RSB other than a traditional XT style fitment. We'll see.

edit: I was informed today that the Bilstein BTS kit is widely available in the JDM for 129000yen, that’s approximately $1215.00 give or take a US dollar. (This cost includes the JDM taxes with shipping within Japan also included)

Add $$, maybe $$$ for shipping to the States and "what’s not to like". A tier one Outback speciffic Bilstein BTS Strut/Spring/Shock set up for $1300. to $1400.(USD)

Count me in.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=387-001

added to our Site ( links above )

10% Discount off parts pricing applies to LegacyGT members who order through our Site and put "LEGACYGTDISC" in rthe comments on our online Order form

Availability is immediate but note:

Discussion with Bilstein Japan, they don't claim *any* other application than for the JDM models these parts are made for

There is *no* drop in ride height from Stock ( on the JDM models, anyway )

Are top hats needed? Probably not

You asked, we looked; these are 194,250JPY on Bilsteins site; 185,000JPY on our Site LESS 10% Legacy club discount: 166,500JPY ( + freight to destination )

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

Thanks JapanpartsLLC ~

I'm in the process of understanding what it takes to source the Bilsteins with the assistance of a colleague in Japan.

Any idea of the shipping cost’s if ordered through your firm? Delivery in Georgia, zip 30004 (greater Atlanta area.) Tonnage of air cargo comes through Atlanta, that said – I’m at the ready to fetch a parcel if this will generate a cost savings.

Anyway, your guess $$ regarding freight/custom/etc. net, net cost?

Cheers, Mike

The flawed "Not So Automatic" automatic climate control in our MY05 OB XT doesn't work like this I'm afraid. We're good until step 5, the fan. (IMHO the fan's assistance is mandatory (in any mode) and not optional.) If/once a fan speed is selected this action will start the auto climate system to run changing itself to the closed recirculation mode with the A/C compressor operational.

A unheated ambient air "vent" mode with a fan assist this system does not have. One of serveral critical HVAC system flaws.

I forgot that once you hit the fan button the auto system is reengaged. Set the temperatures to their minimum (65), press A/C so it is off, select the vent mode (as opposed to recirc), and doesn't this give you what you want? I suppose if the temps are below 65 in the cabin you'll get some heat (but perhaps not), but how cold do you want it in this mode?

The point is this POS Subaru/Panasonic "dual climate control" does not have a simple VENT MODE!! A simple vent mode which does not dictate or demand the incomming vented air to be heated – possibly Subaru didn’t get the memo. Spin the issue this way or that, at the end of the day the Subaru/Panasonic HVAC will continue to be a dysfunctional HVAC. This system is not their best work.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks JapanpartsLLC ~

I'm in the process of understanding what it takes to source the Bilsteins with the assistance of a colleague in Japan.

Any idea of the shipping cost’s if ordered through your firm? Delivery in Georgia, zip 30004 (greater Atlanta area.) Tonnage of air cargo comes through Atlanta, that said – I’m at the ready to fetch a parcel if this will generate a cost savings.

Anyway, your guess $$ regarding freight/custom/etc. net, net cost?

No need to guess:

Run the Part you want through our Japanparts.com Site and our database will calculate an exact total ( there's no obligation to buy )

Suggest:

Click on the shopping cart icon next to the Part

Choose your delivery area ( eg: North America/USA/GA )

Choose your payment method ( Bank transfer in US$, Card or PAYPAL )

This will give you a total to destination; either to your Door, or to the Airport

I would say "to Door" delivery isn't that much more expensive than to Airport

Ordering through our site; put "LEGACYDISC" in the comments on our online Order form and our Staff will email you back with a discounted total ( 10% off our website Parts pricing )

US Tariff has *no* import Tax for suspension components; you don't pay any State taxes either> verify with US Customs; they're part of the Dept. of Commerce

Clearances under a CIF value of US$2,000 you can clear yourself without needing a Broker; ( that's if you choose a delivery to Airport ), otherwise "To Door" delivery brokerage fees are covered

Delivery will take 10-15 days from us receiving your Order to arrival your side; we will Insure and provide tracking numbers and ETA's as these happen

Best!

Graham Ware

Export Manager

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

Hey Graham / JapanpartsLLC ~

Your companies user frendly website calulated the shipping to my location (Atlanta) for $194.00; door to door. So, all said and done for $1548.00 net, net, (Legacygt.com site discount 10%) + $194.00 shipping (door to door Atlanta)

And yes we have a winner = $ 1742.00 for the OB XT Bilstein strut/spring/shock arrangement. The risk is this speciffic Bilstein BTS5056 Kit is untested on my USDM MY05 Outback XT. Is this a risk taken that I'll regret?

Cheers, Mike

The setup will absolutely positively fit your USDM Outback. If it lowers it a bit, that won't be an issue at all (people run LGT setups on the OBXT which is bit extreme, but works).

Whether you will regret, it depends if you will like the ride. I dare to say you will, based on my experience with many Bilstein setups. So if the price is not an object - order it.

unclemat ~ the "fitment" position positive is reassuring. I’m goin for it! Having enhanced a few suspensions in my day I get into this thing with solid expectations. Of the few cars that I own and other than a vintage model, none of the cars have their North American OE suspensions.

As we speak a colleague in the Accenture office Tokyo is running down a couple of BTS kit sources and has indicated that shipping to the Atlanta office is a no-brainer. (Accenture has several discounted shipping arrangements-worldwide) We’ll see – stay tuned- don’t touch that dial.

Cheers, Mike

Anybody besides the vendor (I've ordered from them before, & they're OK in my book) have knowledge re top hats?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I recall I saw them with USDM-type top hats installed, which AFAIK are stock on JDM Outbacks as well. Either way it will be either this, or JDM-type top hats. Easy to find out once you have them in hand.

I recall I saw them with USDM-type top hats installed, which AFAIK are stock on JDM Outbacks as well. Either way it will be either this, or JDM-type top hats. Easy to find out once you have them in hand.

In the event that you need JDM top hats; we can supply these to you in 7-10 days to your door, but consensus is, the USDM top hats will do the job

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

Hey Graham / JapanpartsLLC ~

Your companies user frendly website calulated the shipping to my location (Atlanta) for $194.00; door to door. So, all said and done for $1548.00 net, net, (Legacygt.com site discount 10%) + $194.00 shipping (door to door Atlanta)

And yes we have a winner = $ 1742.00 for the OB XT Bilstein strut/spring/shock arrangement. The risk is this speciffic Bilstein BTS5056 Kit is untested on my USDM MY05 Outback XT. Is this a risk taken that I'll regret?

As UncleMat has indicated, the only issue, if any, remains the compatability of top hats

As Subaru in Japan, regularly specify Bilstein suspensions as standard OEM fitment for JDM top-of-the-line Legacy models; I very much doubt you will suffer any level of disillusion with the setup per se

There must be several Legacy owners with Bilstein setups on this forum that can comment

best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

I too wish there was a simple replacement strut combo for the XT. We have been suffering with the floppy rear for 3 years.

What about the megan racing coilovers? I put them on my car and I love them. Car handles so much better really puts the power to the ground especially at stage 2.

Agreed - coilovers are a nice fitment to the OB XT - I've driven one. Many fellow Porsche owners have the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers installed in their 993s; I do not.

For a broad compliance range, like that of a strut/spring/Bilstein shock arrangement, a coilover cannot match. For my street suspension enhancement dollars – the BTS Kit is the way forward. The Bilstein kit; http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf is more suited to my intended (street) use than “coilovers”. MY.02

Cheers, Mike

The Outbacks offered in Germany (since 2005) have the dual exhaust cutouts in the rear bumper as well. The look is sharp.

Cheers, Mike

My thoughts exactly.

In addition:

From a USDM perspective; isn’t the ride height of the OB XT a wee bit higher than all other OB models and accordingly not EPA classified as passenger car, but rather a truck/SUV? Here in lies the uniqueness of the USA XTs suspension bit's. ///

There are some minor variations due to different exhaust configurations between the XT, H6, and 2.5. It's deceptive, as if you measure down the center rear of the car you have over 10" of ground clearance - the lowest point I found was the rear control arm. The Gen I and II OBW's were just about the perfect height - drive fully loaded down a dirt road without bottoming, have enough clearance for most snow storms and potholes, but not a big handling compromise.

The ride height is adjustable with the MR coilovers, but they are not as compliant on rough roads as the stock suspension and attendant rubber bits. I have them cranked almost all the way down unless I'm doing an autocross.

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/coilover_frontstrut.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/coilover_rearstruts.jpg

Since this picture I've twiddled the fronts and rears so it's about 1.5" lower than stock, and level fore-aft.

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/OBafter.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

... Easy to find out once you have them in hand.

...and the suspension apart....

Archived