LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want to try this option with me - we could split the shipping from australia...

http://www.kingsprings.com/

part number ksfr-51(front)and ksrr-29 (rear)

price for front pair 160 AUD

price for rear pair 160 AUD

these will raise the vehicle aprox 25-30mm over stock AU liberty (outback) height (what ever that is)

Shipping for 1 set: 235 AUD

This equates to a total of 400 USD at today's exchange rate.. adding a second set will only increase shipping by a small bit so we both win.

Any takers?

PM me. Jdkobe

Good question - I have a call into Belstein US to see if they are changing their position and bringing in the kits for 2009 - but that option aside until I hear back

options are Stock or KYB GR-2s or Monroe Sensa-tracs

plan is to start with Stock unless I can get a hand on the KYBs locally to test the dampening vs stock.

jdkobe

ps - I had these springs on my 1998 Outback with stock struts and I really liked it - so I guess I will be a repeat customer

Bilstein US just called me back - a very nice guy John searched high and low and in several different databases for the part numbers on that JDM Bilstein .pdf. He said it was very weird he could not locate them either here or in Germany becuase the part numbers are suppose to be sync'ed up across the world - so he was going to do more research for us. He said if anything, if the exchange rate is not favorable with Japen, we shoudl still be able to source them thru Germany - but he could not fine the items in the German catalog either.

I asked if there was a way we could influence what the importer decided to bring into the US - he sadly said no. fyi.- i'll let you know if I hear more.

do you think the KYB's will be any different that the stock KYB's we currently have? I'm guessing the Monroes would be similar to stock as well? Not sure if either of these will match up with the 30% stiffer springs. the thing that we really need is a adjustable rebound shock to dial into the spring set up.

do you think the KYB's will be any different that the stock KYB's we currently have? I'm guessing the Monroes would be similar to stock as well? Not sure if either of these will match up with the 30% stiffer springs. the thing that we really need is a adjustable rebound shock to dial into the spring set up.

Typically, the GR-2 struts are dampened for better control than stock and these should work very well with stock springs, as well as the stiffer springs available for our OB's.

GR-2s have been a staple strut in other parts of the Subaru community (i had some on my Impreza for awhile) and i'm really glad to hear that they'll be available this quarter (hopefully). I will be ordering a set asap and expect that they'll provide much better control in the twisty stuff, while keeping a smooth ride without sacrificing any off-highway capabilities. They should perfectly complement the Whiteline rear adj. sway bar which is already on my OBXT - that alone made a big difference.

I had contacted the BC/BR racing coilover dealer on this site. They said they could make some custome coilovers the size needed for the outback for the usual price of about 900-1000.

You could try contacting them and give that a try as another option.

If this setup turned out to be a bona fide solution for these cars, I'd gladly pay 900-1000 to solve this problem.

My orig OEM struts are leaking...at least at the rear. Not having priced OEM replacement struts yet for all 4 corners, I can't imagine the job will cost much less than $900 installed. For that money, I'd rather take a chance on a semi-proven custom setup. Personally, I've written-off the Megan Racing products based upon the feedback I've read about them here.

Tim

Anyone want to try this option with me - we could split the shipping from australia...

http://www.kingsprings.com/

part number ksfr-51(front)and ksrr-29 (rear)

price for front pair 160 AUD

price for rear pair 160 AUD

these will raise the vehicle aprox 25-30mm over stock AU liberty (outback) height (what ever that is)

Shipping for 1 set: 235 AUD

This equates to a total of 400 USD at today's exchange rate.. adding a second set will only increase shipping by a small bit so we both win.

Any takers?

PM me. Jdkobe

Seems like a good idea. I just don't see paying almost $2000 for Bilsteins + springs.

What kind of difference did you notice on your '98 Outback? I might keep the stock/OEM struts and go with the springs.

Well, I sold the car 5 years ago, but I was very happy with the upgrade. I did it originally becuase the stock springs were sagging... Neither my wife or I had any complaints. I just ordered the springs, so we will see.

jdkobe

You're going to keep the stock struts like last time? How much does the labor run to install? Hopefully the shipping from Crocodile Dundee land won't set you back to much. I wouldn't mind an increase in height by 1 inch or so. Definitely don't want to lower the height.

Hey all ~ I spoke with fellow forum member jdkobe the other day regarding the Japan Bilstein kit which I've purchased although the kit continues to be in Japan. Our discussion was centered around "what" part numbers might be on the Japan Bilstein kit components in an effort to enlighten Bilstein USA. I too spoke with Bilstein USA on several occasions regarding the "kit" and was told Bilstein USA had limited if any interaction with Bilstein Japan. Sounded like BS to me, hey what the hell pick up the phone and introduce yourselves; it goes like this… Hello Bilstein Japan this is Bilstein USA calling. I suppose Bilstein USA isn’t at all hungry enough for business.

Anyway, I’ll speed up the kits shipping process to Atlanta… stay tuned.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

The Japan Bilstein kit cost approx $1265.00 (the currency exchange is always in flux)

Edit: UPS International is scheduled to pickup and ship the kit to Atlanta by the end of the week, as for the shipping cost my wifes firm Accenture has an employee 40% discount rate arrangement; we'll see $$$.

Link to Japan Bilstein kit; http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

The Outback struts I thought were designed as "heavy duty" and built to be rugged and give plenty of support.

The springs if anything might need improvement IMO. I wonder if the Bilstein kit is similarly designed as "heavy duty" or if they are more for comfort???

$1265 is a decent price. Wonder how much labor costs? That's good is does not lower the height like the Legacy kits do.

FYI - My Megans still working after two years of on and off road.

That’s great! It’s nice to hear that coilovers (Megan's brand) meet your expectations.

Myself and other Boulder, Colorado Outback XT owners back in the 2004 to early 2005 time frame installed coilovers only to swiftly remove them. Why? Compliance. In other words the coilovers made for a rough-jarring ride not at all suitable for the Colorado mountains crummy paved roadways, that and dirt/gravel secondary or Forestry roads. We needed a better mouse trap to over come the sloppy suspension choice Subaru has made for the XT Outback. Additionally, two of the guys had service issues with the coilovers for the brief time installed. What I’m saying is coilovers aren’t the Holly Grail, for the XT anyway.

A Porsche 911 ? – I’ll give ya that.

Maybe the JDM Bilstein BTS Kit is that better mouse trap or the King Springs which fellow forum list’er is tracking down.

Cheers, Mike

Maybe the JDM Bilstein BTS Kit is that better mouse trap or the King Springs which fellow forum list’er is tracking down.

I'm really curious to see how a KYB GR-2 Strut and Kings Spring combo would work out, but does anyone have any solid information on when we will see the GR-2 struts be available? A recent e-mail to their customer service was met with the vague response that they have no current offerings, keep checking in the future..

The Kings Springs seem readily available, if you are willing to pay as much for shipping as the springs cost, an e-mail to Kings Springs about a US distributer was answered with shipping cost information, so I have to assume there is none..

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

It sounds like what most of us are looking for is added control without sacrificing the stock ride height (or maybe even raising it a little), correct? If I wanted maximum street handling at all times in a Legacy package, I would have bought a GT (which I seriously considered) and used one of the many road setups available for those.

Stock OB springs should be sufficient unless you plan on carrying heavy loads regularly. For myself, I feel it's the struts' inadequate dampening that cause the wallowing and instability mid-corner which I am looking to get rid of, in which case the GR-2s should fit those needs quite well. Coilovers are overkill for that and I can confidently buy KYB product with no question as to their quality and support network.

Now if KYB would just offer AGXs for the OB... (i already emailed about that but they said there are no plans for it)

I'm suppose to get my '09 OB in a couple days. Curious to see the suspension differences between it and my Legacy wagon.

Hey D_J, which model '09 OB are you buying?

(The MY05 thru MY09 Outback model "XT" suspension is specific. The XTs overall height is raised enough which classify's the vehicle an SUV, a truck if you will and not a passenger car. Here in lies the rub regarding XT suspension enhancements.)

Cheers, Mike

2.5i OB Limited. I would like the 3.0 R but can not justify the added cost for less mpg.

Just going to put in a panel filter in like I did for my Legacy...giving a slight improvement in acceleration.

Definitely interested in suspension tweaks. Possibly just new springs but your Bilstein kit sounds promising if it does not lower the height. Coilovers seems like a poor option for the OB and I don't want high maintenance.

BTW - what year is your 911? Love that car, drove it many times when I was a valet.

Archived