LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

Gotta love that JDM bumper with cutouts in the brochure.^

I have one on my car thanks GW and japan parts :)

:) Our pleasure, as always! Japanparts.com will try and source what you want; even if that isn't on our Site, feel free to ask

Best

GW

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know, a kit with top hats might be nice....

Whichever OB version that the Bilstein info say they fit.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 1 month later...
The flawed "Not So Automatic" automatic climate control in our MY05 OB XT doesn't work like this I'm afraid. We're good until step 5, the fan. (IMHO the fan's assistance is mandatory (in any mode) and not optional.) If/once a fan speed is selected this action will start the auto climate system to run changing itself to the closed recirculation mode with the A/C compressor operational.

A unheated ambient air "vent" mode with a fan assist this system does not have. One of serveral critical HVAC system flaws.

Hey Subaru of America and Panasonic: This POS excuse you shovel as a Dual-zone automatic climate control system is nothing of the kind! Shame on you guys, cuz you knew before production started what a POS it is. Welcome to the car business. . .

Dam, I was optimistic of this "Vent" patch.

If you follow the above it should not go into auto mode in step 5, in step 5 it will apply the fan w/o recirc and w/o A/C. At least on my 05 LGT.

-mike

• 2 months later...

I've been checking with KYB for over a year for availability of struts for the 05 and later OB and found today (http://www.kyb.com/pdf/2008_passenger_car.pdf) that they are introducing GR-2 replacements in Jan 09:

Left Hand Front: 339099 Rear: 341443

with the note "New Part Number; Available 1st Quarter 2009"

These aren't their adjustables but may be an improvement over stock. I installed a set of GR-2's on our '94 Legacy Turbo at about 75K and they made a dramatic improvement (it was the family car, as is our 06 OBXT) and were still good at 150K.

Now if they can engineer the GR-2's maybe sometime the AGX. . . .

From the KYB site:

KYB GR-2® / Excel-G®

twin-tube shocks, struts, and cartridges

Purpose: Restores a vehicle’s originally designed handling and control

* Calibrated to compensate for worn suspensions

* Components and valving are designed specifically for each application

* The best choice to restore OE performance and normal driving conditions

* Built with quality that matches or exceeds OE

* Coverage for domestic and import cars, trucks, vans, minivans, and SUVs

Sounds like they're meant to duplicate new OEM performance. Which is I think less than what most of us want.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

You could also go with any of the LGT options. The only one you can't go with would be Konis, if you go with Konis you'll want to use LGT original housings because the OBXT Strut-bodies are longer and the inserts won't fit.

-mike

KYB makes the stock shocks on the Outback, so these definately would NOT be an option for people wanting better handling.

Doesn't that also depend on the model? They may have alternate models that are better suited. As for shocks - they are designed for some kind of average usage profile, which means that they almost never are right.

453747.png

All the Outbacks use the same shocks as far as I know. Because the Outback is designed for rough-road use, nobody will make replacement shocks that improve handling without going to a "race bred" coilover setup. Using LGT coilovers is not smart as they will lower the car too much, and a slammed Outback is about as ugly as a festering pimple on a babboons buttox.

Really the only option are the Megan Racing coilovers, designed to maintain stock height or lower the car a bit but give a substantially firmer and safer ride.

We've done a few konis w/LGT shock bodies and springs and the cars look fine. If done properly.

-mike

Really the only option are the Megan Racing coilovers, designed to maintain stock height or lower the car a bit but give a substantially firmer and safer ride.

And the JDM Bilstein setup....

And the JDM Bilstein setup....

Yeah, I know. I've been researching this for well over a year but $1800 for the Bilstein setup is a bit much and although the MR coilovers offer all the right features I'd be concerned about a failure (or accident), say, 4 years from now and not being able to easily get a replacement.

Where would Bilstein Japan publish this detail, and do they? So, without knowing the spring rates and damping figures of the JDM Bilstein BTS kits for comparision, they become marginalized. What?

As an aside. I'm a 2-3 weeks or so away from having the JDM Bilstein BTS kit here in Atlanta for installation. I have already purchased the BTS kit - is being held in my firms Tokyo office as a shipping strategy is worked out. Can you say luggage . . .

what are the spring rates and damping figures for those compared to the stock bits and the MR coilovers?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I suppose it is a matter of personal opinion, but to me if there is less wheel gap at the top of the wheel than there is on the front side between the wheel and bumper, then it looks wrong.

Thats a result of the springs. I agree that if you slam your car it looks bad, same could be said about the legacies. It just depends which setup you go with. The wheel gaps on an OB will be no different than those on a legacy, they are the same wheel openings.

-mike

Great looking bumper. There is actually a good reason why they have the downturned exhausts. If you put a basket in the hitchmount, and have rear-facing exhausts like the Legacy, you will burn whatever is sitting on the basket. I've done this on trucks before, almost had a cooler go flying off the back on the NJTP.

-mike

• 1 month later...
As an aside. I'm a 2-3 weeks or so away from having the JDM Bilstein BTS kit here in Atlanta for installation. I have already purchased the BTS kit - is being held in my firms Tokyo office as a shipping strategy is worked out. Can you say luggage . . .

Just wondering if these are now on your car...

Hey rB5; The Bilstein BTS kit continues to to be in Japan as the carton is taking space in a colleagues office. I’ll work on the shipment part of the Outback’s suspension enhancement keeping the forum in the loop.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

very interested to see how the bilsteins ride. I'd like to take them and make a set of custom coilovers with them!!! Does that sound crazy?

What about going to Ground controls site and specing specific length and rates Eibach springs to match the bilsteins?

This is the section for the WRX.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=82/CA=25

They sell seperate springs in length and rate...sounds doable?

I have the Megans now and have had them rebuilt once and now I think one of them is acting up again...really would like to be able to have a nice, smooth riding suspension that's ride height adjustable...

very interested to see how the bilsteins ride. I'd like to take them and make a set of custom coilovers with them!!! Does that sound crazy?

Nope, doesn’t sound crazy at all. What does sound crazy though, (tongue & cheek ) is attaching these hypothetical "custom coilover" to an Outback chassis.

I’ll let ya know how the Bilstein BTS kit works out. The kit is sitting in a colleague’s office in Japan until I get with-it and arrange shipping.

Cheers, Mike

Well, I must say that I love everything about my outback except for the suspension. I'd love a set of custom air-ride struts to be honest that I can raise and lower the car with the flip of a switch. I love going to the mountains on the weekends for boarding with my daughter and when I'm in the city would like a suspension that more street oriented. Basically the best of both worlds. Unfortunately those suspensions are hard to come by. Trying to make one is really the only choice I have.

The megans get close but the overall ride quality is really quite poor and the quality issues these have leave something to be desired.

I had contacted the BC/BR racing coilover dealer on this site. They said they could make some custome coilovers the size needed for the outback for the usual price of about 900-1000.

You could try contacting them and give that a try as another option.

interesting...they don't look much better than the megans now do they? Tell you what greg, if you buy a set, I'll buy one too. We could as them to make a set of them that have more travel and slightly smoother ride. I like the megans but in the end they are too firm for what I use them for. I wish a decent offroad company would make a set for the outback...just sent a message to Fox to see if they could throw a custom package together but the chances of that actually working are very slim..

We have a set in our shop currently tryin to sell em for a custy cause they were too stiff. Good workmanship and not the usual cheapo chinese knockoff stuff.

As for suspensions, you may want to contact the guys at SPT who built the Forester Rescue vehicle. During The 48hrs of Tristate, we got to play with it in the parking lot at SOA and it's got custom air shocks to rais and lower it. Problem is if you go too high you need to get longer rear control arms.

http://48hrs.info if you are intersted in The 48hrs of Tristate.

-mike

Archived