LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

My 911 is a 1998 993C2S which I'd ordered in May of 1997. Original owner of the last of the air-cooled 911s.

It's all stock sans a few suspension and gearbox enhancements made from the Porsche factory parts bins. The factory's Werk One facility in Stuttgart provided the workmanship skill as the car was shipped back to the factory. It's a long story and was a total once in a lifetime opportunity. 911... there is no substitute!

My wife has a Boxster and I must say the mid-engine layout is not too shabby..

Now, if we can get this Outback XT suspension enhancement in gear..

Best of luck with your new Subi...

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this in another thread, but there was no traffic on that one so here we go again....

Has anyone thought about the Tokico D-specs?? I know they are Legacy GT specific, but if you got a Ground Control Coilover kit or something like it and added your own (longer) springs I think it could work quite well for the Outback. If I did not have my Megan Coilovers, I would try this out. I know that Swift makes some very good 2.5" ID springs in many different rates and lenght's. You could make your own custom coilover in this way.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

whats up with the bilstein suspension ??

I'm working on the shipping. Presently the Bilstein Kit is in Tokyo (friends house) Could be here in Atlanta in a week or so...

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

just spoke to Bilstein....they do not, as noted previously, make an outback specific replacement in the US market. the listing above is for a legacy specific application. They do not have any way of checking a JDM part# I was told...so either buy the JDM one and have it shipped or the KYB's and go from there. I'm still contemplating make a custom set of coilovers from a set if I can somehow get the money together.

sure you can...The thing that I'd like to be able to do is raise and lower the car whenever I want via coilover style set up. anyway, I'm gonna check and see if I can get a set of megans custom made with a longer stroke and softer dampening...to be continued.

Joe

my message to Megan:

Hi,

I have a set of Megan coilovers for an 07 Subaru Outback. While I love certain aspects of them, curtain things I'd like to change. I'd like to know if it is at all possible to order a custom set?

What I'd like: 1. A longer stroke for the shock...something between what you have currently and stock.

2. either a slightly softer set of coils or softer dampening on the coilovers itself... The current set is simply to firm for my style of driving.

I'd like the look of the car lowered but it's simply too firm. When I raise the car for winter, which it's currently set up to do it doesn't have enough travel for traveling up to the mountains that I'd like.

I don't travel offroad but on snow packed highways to and from the mountains... can you help?

Let me know please. Thanks!

Joe

The sway bar upgrade is a given, after that solid brake lines.

Your MY09s metallic bronze is a winner...

You are doing both front / rear sway bars?

I am surprised the brakes seem to be much better than the Legacy mushy lines. Eventually I plan on stainless steel lines and Hawk pads...but want to get a bit more use out of the existing ones.

You are doing both front / rear sway bars?

I am surprised the brakes seem to be much better than the Legacy mushy lines. Eventually I plan on stainless steel lines and Hawk pads...but want to get a bit more use out of the existing ones.

Starting with the rear sway bars and as for the brakes - the XTs are poor IMHO. Yes, an agressive pad, good tires and steel brake lines is a start to improving the XTs over all brake performance. The "mush" brake pedal feel has got to GO....

Cheers, Mike

I can swear that the 2009 got rid of almost all of the mush "as is". The master cylinder looks different than my 2007 so maybe Subaru got the memo and fixed it. That was one of my biggest complaints were the mushy brakes on my 2007.

Tires too, but like the brakes want to get at least some good use of the stock ones. Then go for some Nokian WR G2 all weather +. The Nordic people know how to survive extreme snow/ice so I trust their tires. :lol:

The AVO rear sway and endlinks look like a top of line choice.

A Bilstein BTS kit update.....

The kit is packaged up for it's flight to the states... by waiting a few weeks a Tokyo based colleague will be checking the Bilstein kit as luggage on a flight to Seattle next week or so....

The kit is for real and in the works to the USA. I continue to work on a simple path forward for other's whom may want to source the kit; "it’s the shipping stupid"

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Schneider\Desktop\Bilstein box2.jpg

Cheers, Mike

The link below is to MY next Outback..... Model year 2010..

http://www.motorauthority.com/2010-audi-a4-allroad-quattro-revealed-ahead-of-2009-geneva-motor-show-debut.html

What's not to like? Reliability for starters ,,, (Once owned and luv’d a MY96 Audi UrS6 wagon for ten years. The repair needs out of warranty is NOT for the faint of heart, read $$$$ level for most anything) The new Audi S4 wagon though .... I'll gamble. Make mine with the 7sp direct shift gearbox including a navigation option for kicks.

Edit: VW/Audi reliability as goes my MY06 Jetta TDI w/DSG gearbox.

Items replaced in the first year or 20k miles total.

-Instrument cluster

-Navigation radio

-Rear window glass-navigation antenna laminated

-Fuel tank sender

-ABS sensor

Items replaced in the second year or 45k miles total.

-Dual mass flywheel

-Electric window switch

-Navigation radio

-DSG transmission

-plastic body parts - etc.

MY05 Outback XT Ltd.

1st - 4th year or 41k mile total

-Rear wheel bearing

-HVAC control/radio cluster (3x)

"That's all she wrote"

Cheers, Mike

I think Audi's are very nice designs and especially the interiors. Although it is too far out of my price range. IMO the Japanese-designed Boxer engine is more mechanically reliable over the long-term.

My MY96 UrS6 Audi wagon required a new "rear hatch door" wiring loom to remedy a no brake light condition. One week two goes bye waiting for the part, it’s now on a Code Red status with Audi USA – sounds imperative right. The published Audi USA cost is $750.00 and 3.5 hours installation labor additional. Three week four goes bye and I express myself with Audi USA as they inform me there are no wiring looms in the country or Germany. They inform me that my S6 is now nine years old and the new wiring loom part will need to be made. !#@$#(*&) Fukin Audi Customer Service clerk ….

I called a buddy in Frankfurt who moseys on down to the local Audi dealership and buys a new wiring loom part for 136 Euro, the same part number etc. FedEx has the part at Boulder, Colorado Audi in two days. Problem solved. The Germany parts department guy has four of these "wiring looms" in stock for they "break" all the time with the wagons hatch....

My Audi dealership's Code Red demand of the part showed up 9 weeks later… and at a Dealership cost of over $500.00

True Story -

Cheers, Mike

Wow yeah I think Audi/ VW are notorious for electrical issues. Otherwise I would say they are the very best exterior/interior designs.

Well wagons are much more popular in Europe, especially in Germany I hear so makes sense they would carry more spare parts.

In fact I think VW literally invented both the name wagen and the actual wagon design.

:eek:

James Earl Jones comes to mind... Your cell phone is only as good as the network it's on.... :)

They do have great designs but if you are stuck on the side of the road, all those looks won't help yah. With that said, I am contemplating a slightly used A8L for my next newish car purchase...

-mike

[quote

Well wagons are much more popular in Europe, especially in Germany I hear so makes sense they would carry more spare parts.

D_J, exactly my point to Audi USA customer service. While sure,, the car is 9 years old, however (I'm the original owner) this A6 - S6 wagon model was widely sold throughout its production years (which only ended 5 years ago) - so find the needed part in Germany, Argentina or the North Pole... It took Audi USA more than two months to deliver the part.

It took me one phone call.....to a local Germany Audi dealership. The part was in stock. "How many do ya need?"

Cheers, Mike

Archived