LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All -

I have tracked down additional information and have been in communcation with Mike too. Here are the highlights;

a) Mike will not get his Bilstein Kit until end of march, or 1st week of April - his contact is bringing them over on a fleight to Seattle and then dropping them into the UPS system to get to Denver.

b) the Bilstein kit can only be sourced from Japan becuase Bilstein Japan custom makes both the shocks and Springs - we can not get the shocks from Bilstein Germany, USA AU or any other country.. it's only avialable thru Bilstein Japan.

c) I have asked Bilstein US to consider purchasing the kit from Bilstein Japan and have put the US tech person in contact with a person from Bilstein Japan. if you want to let the Bilstein US tech group know your interest, contact Victor.Reyes@thyssenkrupp.com. The more emails he recieves, the more likely they will import them.

Hope this helps.. I can't think of anything else to do besides someone coordinating a group buy from Japan.

-Jdkobe

The issue with coilovers is that they require regular maintenance, whereas struts do not. Personally I like the high ground clearance on the Outback. Some people have even raised theirs even higher.

But yeah something halfway between Legacy and Outback height might be more practical for some people.

All -

I have tracked down additional information and have been in communcation with Mike too. Here are the highlights;

a) Mike will not get his Bilstein Kit until end of march, or 1st week of April - his contact is bringing them over on a fleight to Seattle and then dropping them into the UPS system to get to Denver.

b) the Bilstein kit can only be sourced from Japan becuase Bilstein Japan custom makes both the shocks and Springs - we can not get the shocks from Bilstein Germany, USA AU or any other country.. it's only avialable thru Bilstein Japan.

c) I have asked Bilstein US to consider purchasing the kit from Bilstein Japan and have put the US tech person in contact with a person from Bilstein Japan. if you want to let the Bilstein US tech group know your interest, contact Victor.Reyes@thyssenkrupp.com. The more emails he recieves, the more likely they will import them.

Hope this helps.. I can't think of anything else to do besides someone coordinating a group buy from Japan.

-Jdkobe

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=387-001

We've had the JDM Bilstein shocks sets on our site since forum members asked about these last year

We'll run a GB if there's enough interest

GW

Japanparts.com

* Since 1996 *

Graham - Your presence on this board is very, very valuable. And it's awesome that you are a source for the Bilsteins - If this were an item like a JDM grill or other part that would not likely be so heavy to ship from Japan and/or, one that we may, at some point, need to take advantage of bilstein's warranty process on - I would hands down be recommending everyone work thru you on this.

But having Bilstein USA bring them in via container will keep shipping down as well as the shocks will then be warrenty-able.

These are the only reasons i'm suggesting an avenue other then you. Keep up the good work for us here in the states.

-jdkobe

Graham - Your presence on this board is very, very valuable. And it's awesome that you are a source for the Bilsteins - If this were an item like a JDM grill or other part that would not likely be so heavy to ship from Japan and/or, one that we may, at some point, need to take advantage of bilstein's warranty process on - I would hands down be recommending everyone work thru you on this.

But having Bilstein USA bring them in via container will keep shipping down as well as the shocks will then be warrenty-able.

These are the only reasons i'm suggesting an avenue other then you. Keep up the good work for us here in the states.

-jdkobe

Good luck!

GW

Japanparts.com

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=387-001

We've had the JDM Bilstein shocks sets on our site since forum members asked about these last year

We'll run a GB if there's enough interest

GW

Japanparts.com

* Since 1996 *

If one was to buy the Bilsteins from the japanparts site, would an XT owner want the 2.5i struts, or the 3.0R struts? What's the difference?

I can answer that since I asked Bilstein Japan that exact qeustion: The shocks front and rear are exactly the same between the two kits, the only difference is the 3.0 kit has a 3.03kg front spring and the 2.5i kit has a 3.0kg front spring. The rear spring is 4.6kg. Mike S. said he did the math and decided to order the 2.5i kit for his XT.

-jdkobe

well, only think I can think of is he meant 3.3kg but typed 3.03 In the end, Mike compaired the engine weight of the 3.0 vs the 2.5i vs the 2.5i turbo and it was much closer to the 2.5i weight then the 3.0's weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think we could use LGT coilovers on our cars without any problems. Especially if you want to drop it just 1-2 inches.

I mean better ones than the megans for the outback. Like Tein or any other brand.

Here are a couple of pics of a guy who has K-sport LGT coilovers on his, and he said he had room to raise it. The back looks the same as mine and his front is lower. I had lowered mine on the megans about 1.5 inches.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackLowered004.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/regulata700t/OutbackLowered008.jpg

Here is mine on Megans for comparison

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/42604/2806512640074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

And, as noted elswhere, the camber curve will be, um, disadvantageous, assuming the spacers are left as is.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived