LegacyGT.com

New Legacy! "Ready When You Are"

charlesb

Might look good in the flesh, minus the emblem stuck in the hood. Back end could make or break it. Still easily recognizable as a Legacy but different enough to justify the redesign. Where's the JDM wagon version?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This rendering doesn't tick me off.

I see some forester cues in the grille/headlight line.

The belt line might be high, but the current legacy is pretty well wedge-shaped.

This is not looking bad to me yet. The impreza looked bad from the moment I saw it, and it doesn't look any better with time. But lots of other people thought it looked bad, and now have warmed to it...

It is just a drawing, and it will look different in the metal, but as an indicator, it could be a WHOLE LOT WORSE.

It could look like an 11/10ths version of the Impreza Sedan, or it could look like an exiga-like pseudo-camry.

If this is a 5-door fastback, I am almost sold purely on that fact, in conjunction with the subaru DNA.

This rendering doesn't tick me off.

I see some forester cues in the grille/headlight line.

The belt line might be high, but the current legacy is pretty well wedge-shaped.

This is not looking bad to me yet.

I agree, if this is real, it actually could be somewhat promising!

The impreza looked bad from the moment I saw it, and it doesn't look any better with time. But lots of other people thought it looked bad, and now have warmed to it...

The new Impreza just looks really bland to me. I think the hatch is better looking than the sedan. What I object to most on the Impreza sedan is that the back is too squared off. I think having more glass in the C pillar area, and not such a wide C pillar, would make the sedan look better.

When the 05 came out, it was a damned handsome vehicle. This one isn't. Not a total disaster, but very derivative a la GS530, x6, Mazda6 as everyone's pointed out.

The back end could be hideous, who knows :)

If it's a 5 door hatch I'd be very happy.

Contrary to Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda (from 2009), Subaru can't afford to have a specific larger model for its north american mid-size offering. It's a sure thing the next Legacy will be smaller than comparable models from the above mentionned manufcaturers.

The only question is how much bigger it will be than the current Legacy. There have been modest size increase for the Impreza and Forester, so something similar should be expected for the 2010 Legacy.

Because of the runup in gas prices, staying smaller than the others in the Legacy's class should prove beneficial tu Subaru. They will be alone with a more reasonnably-sized product.

Now, offering a five-door hatchback would really be another way of setting the Legacy apart. This body style is popular in Europe, and the Impreza is now a five-door hatchback, with a four-door sedan available in NA only.

Tying this to the fact that a Legacy wagon is no longer available in NA, it could mean that the next gen of the Legacy could be, like the Impreza, a 5-door bodystyle, with 4-door sedan also available in certain markets.

Only my humble speculations, of course.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/contentImages//Car/Subaru/Concepts/948895225.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5145/l12pd6.jpg

No compromises. LEGACY.

-Boxer Diesel and H6 performance

-New transmission choices

-New level of driving pleasure

COMING SOON

Ok, do the coupe and sedan pics there look similar to anyone else? The coupe was posted by Autocar.co.uk, and picked up by Autoblog, as well. Rumored to be an inside sketch of what the Subaru version of the forthcoming joint coupe project.

If the Legacy 5 door sedan, and the Subaru variant of the Toyabaru coupe share some styling cues... that could mean a very good pair of cars on Subaru lots.

Boxer Diesel is ok, H6 performance option could be cool, and SMOOTH.

New transmissions... perhaps the 6MT/VTD, and an up-rated automatic or automated dual clutch??? Hopefully something that will allow the 2.5 Turbo, and the 3.6 H6 to make more than 300hp and lb-ft. of torque...

New level of driving pleasure.... Bilsteins standard, along with the newer 5-link rear suspension?

And please make the coupe a three door, and the sedan a 5-door. I would love to see a wagon come back, as well, but a lot of that depends on how much or little the Outback design departs from the Legacy's bodywork.

Yeah I hope Toyota doesn't "dumb-down" Subaru design concepts. Toyota may have good engines and mpg performance...however the exterior and body designs IMO of Toyota are absolutely horrible.

That Exiga boxy - Scion style has gotta go. Ugly!

Yeah I hope Toyota doesn't "dumb-down" Subaru design concepts. Toyota may have good engines and mpg performance...however the exterior and body designs IMO of Toyota are absolutely horrible.

That Exiga boxy - Scion style has gotta go. Ugly!

After seeing the new wrx, I can only hope Toyota sacks the subaru designers on this one:spin:

Imagine the love child of a scion tC and wrx sedan...:hide:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5145/l12pd6.jpg

Speaking of this design, I must admit I like the front end, even if it has the "smiling" motif, as opposed to the more agressive hexagonal airscoop on the current Legacy. The grille meshes nicely with the headlights.

Only other things I would change would be to get rid of the cheater plastic filler in the rear sideglass and add another side character line with impact protection.

Cheater panels like you describe are required due to the shape of the rear window glass. It can't roll down if the rear glass is that wide at the base.

Personally, I would rather that they just leave the window frames off entirely, like the current Legacy.

Chances are it will get a rub strip. That is often overlooked on a conceptual drawing. It isn't a production model.

It might even keep the hood scoop. The current Forester uses the same scoop insert, and the Exiga uses a very subtly changed version of it, with raised ribs stamped into the hood skin around it.

This, if at all accurate, which it may not be, is merely a design language and bodystyle overview of the concept.

Cheater panels like you describe are required due to the shape of the rear window glass. It can't roll down if the rear glass is that wide at the base.

Chances are it will get a rub strip. That is often overlooked on a conceptual drawing. It isn't a production model.

It might even keep the hood scoop. The current Forester uses the same scoop insert, and the Exiga uses a very subtly changed version of it, with raised ribs stamped into the hood skin around it.

This, if at all accurate, which it may not be, is merely a design language and bodystyle overview of the concept.

Plastic cheater fillers are a pet peeve of mine... I feel they are used to work around other design problems, while saving on cost by avoiding using glass. What you say about window roll-down is true, yet my Legacy and my wife's 2006 VW Passat don't need them, because the roofline and door/window design is correct in the first place. I'd rather have rear windows with more restricted rolldown than see these fillers. Yes, the new Impreza has these plastic cheaters.

I appreciate your comments about this being only a possible general concept overview, which makes me wonder if maybe this could be the original theme that finally evolved into the new 5-door Impreza. :eek:

This isn't a 5-door pseudo-wagon.

If this is a 5-door sedan, or a 4-door sedan, a fastback, not a more vertical hatchback.

IF they can get rid of the window frames, or somehow fix the window frames to be more vertical at the rear edge of the glass in the rear doors... maybe they can get away without the window trim blocks.

On the current legacy, the rear quarter windows extend behind the overlap of the rear door skins, and the rear door window edge is much closer to vertical. I know because the rubber trim behind the window glass on my passenger side rear door is starting to split apart, where it meets the quarter window glass.

But most of the time, window frames extend to the rear most point of the sill on the door, with a less vertical angle, which necessitates those blocks.

Agreed that it should be done better (and without window frames) but somehow I doubt it will be, even if this design isn't accurate. All of the new subarus are getting window frames.

Archived