LegacyGT.com

New Legacy! "Ready When You Are"

charlesb

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I like so much about the current Legacy is that everything is in proportion. It's a clean design with no exaggerated grille, lights, or other features. (I actually don't care for the enlarged grille of the '08 refresh, but I fear that'll pale in comparison to the 2010 redesign!)

That BMW tail light looks awful. That's too bad, I like the 3 Series. Actually, I think the current 3 Series coupe is one of the best looking cars on the road.

Speaking of out-of-alignment taillights, SOA is a style-leader. Have a look at the 2009 BMW 3-Series refresh:

http://www.autospies.com/news/2009-BMW-3-Series-Sedan-and-Wagon-High-Res-Photos-32230/

Tailights:

oh. I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE BMW's newer automotive tail lights.

I loved the LED element tail lights in the late E39 5-series, with the three horizontal light-pipe tails...

But then they had to go and get all pretentious, artsy, and design it to make people think either that it is modern art by bmw that it doesn't fit properly. It is BMW, of course it is wonderful. Of course it makes sense, in a wonderfully non-sensical way. Like modern art that people pretend to understand and appreciate, that is REALLY incomprehensible.

Otherwise those of us who value ACTUAL good design left wondering what the hell happened to BMW.

Otherwise those of us who value ACTUAL good design left wondering what the hell happened to BMW.

Exactly. Audi did the same thing. I loved the previous generation A4, but then they had to make the lights all fancy, and worse, extend the grille straight across the front bumper. I'm afraid Subaru is going to do the same, jumping on the huge grille/weird shaped light fixture bandwagon.

Hopefully someone will be making a clean, streamlined, understated car the next time I'm in the market, even if Subaru isn't!

i doubt the legacy will grow to A6 size. it will probably stay close to its class. maybe increase in width and wheelbase, but length is probably the same. for wheelbase and length comparison:

2009 a4 185.2 110.6

2008 c class 182.3 108.7

2008 3 series 178.2 108.7

2008 g35 187.0 112.2

2009 tsx 186.1 106.4

2009 a6 193.5 111.9

2009 5series 191.1 113.7

current legacy 186.2 105.1

If that's the new look of the Legacy, I love the direction it's going. I guess they warned us that some people will love it, and that some people will hate it.

I said nothing of that sort. There are things -I- like and dislike about it, but but I can say the same about the current model.

2009 a4 185.2 110.6

2008 c class 182.3 108.7

2008 3 series 178.2 108.7

2008 g35 187.0 112.2

2009 tsx 186.1 106.4

2009 a6 193.5 111.9

2009 5series 191.1 113.7

current legacy 186.2 105.1

Interesting. I am actually surprised that the 2009 A4 is shorter than the current Legacy, and that the G35 is only a smidge longer while it looks so much bigger. And we can see where BMW is going with its next 3 Series in 2011.

AFAIK the Legacy is narrower than all these cars. And the shorter Legacy wheelbase is a result of the H4 engine overhanging ahead of the front "axle", as a consequence of Subaru's AWD implementation.

How about this one?

Also taken from NASIOC. From a japanese mag. See the reference to 2011 and not 2010.

I like the way that looks actually. It has a Euro style to it, which is a good thing.

I am doubting it will look like that. I am thinking it will definitely be A6 sized.

well if it does grow to A6 size, then the USDM model will be separate from the JDM car because i doubt to see the JDM car growing with the USDM car.

well if it does grow to A6 size, then the USDM model will be separate from the JDM car because i doubt to see the JDM car growing with the USDM car.

Right. With the introduction of the bigger-for-USDM "6", Mazda joins Toyota, Honda and Nissan with larger midsize cars for the North American market.

Is Subaru going to do the same thing? I hope not, but maybe that's what all that money Toyota has invested in FHI is going to pay for.

Right. With the introduction of the bigger-for-USDM "6", Mazda joins Toyota, Honda and Nissan with larger midsize cars for the North American market.

Is Subaru going to do the same thing? I hope not, but maybe that's what all that money Toyota has invested in FHI is going to pay for.

On some level, I don't want the new LGT to grow much, but sheet metal and dynamics will have a bigger impact how the LGT is perceived more than spec sheet dimensions.

An example being the BMW 5xx compared to say a Camry. The BMW is bigger, but the Camry is the one that comes across as the boat.

Archived