LegacyGT.com

Oil Light

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How else would they be able to diagnose it...unless they started it? :confused:

By checking oil level? Proper oil level + low pressure means one of two things: sensor is borked, or oil is not getting into engine as it should.

They should inspect oil filter for blockage first. Then they could drop the pan and inspect the oil pickup tube. Then inspect the oil pump.

All is in the FSM :spin:

.......The oil light seems to go out as soon as I start to slow down like it is a level issue but then comes back on as soon as I am stopped. I checked the level............

When you checked your dipstick, did the oil have air bubbles in it?

I ask this because a crack in the pickup tube, at the flange, would presumably allow crankcase air to get sucked in through the crack, and aerate the oil.

WOW!!! I'm glad I have an OP gauge in my car! Lowest I've seen is 19psi....but then it levels at 21 when fully warmed and sitting at the light. In travel it is 60-80....WOT = 90+psi.

Kevin, which dealership did you go to for this?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Ha!

So you have the newer style pickup, part # ending with 110.

Since it *seems* that lately more failures occur for 06+ cars (STIs, WRXs), it would suggest that the revised design is even worse than the earlier one.

Subaru!!!! :mad:

WOW!!! I'm glad I have an OP gauge in my car! Lowest I've seen is 19psi....but then it levels at 21 when fully warmed and sitting at the light. In travel it is 60-80....WOT = 90+psi.

Kevin, which dealership did you go to for this?

Manchester Subaru. I have had very good luck with them so far. They can usually get me in the same day.

Gator GT where did you get your gauges & do you have any pictures of them. I am now looking to put three gauges in my car Oil pressure will be one of them, boost will be the second. not sure on the third.

Gator GT where did you get your gauges & do you have any pictures of them. I am now looking to put three gauges in my car Oil pressure will be one of them, boost will be the second. not sure on the third.

Yes, Jeff, Chris Watt, Christine and Mike C (in parts) at Manchester have been awesome to me!

Here is my page:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67187

It'll take a bit for the pics to load, but they're there. I have 3 gauges located in the cup holder location and boost is on my steering column.

They are STRI DSD Series and I bought them through RavSpec on this forum.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Oil pressure gauge is nice, I put one shortly after buying the car.

Anyway, don't count much that the gauge will save you. If you put a big warning light in the middle of the dash - maybe. If it crackes while you're in WOT, it will take seconds to seize the engine.

The only preventive thing that can be done is to replace this crap pickup with one that doesn't break.

When you checked your dipstick, did the oil have air bubbles in it?

I ask this because a crack in the pickup tube, at the flange, would presumably allow crankcase air to get sucked in through the crack, and aerate the oil.

This worries me a bit, because as I was out tuning a couple of days ago I notice a couple of bubbles on the dip stick after runing a couple of WOT pulls. The oil level was at full but not over filled, reason for concern? FWIW I have my crankcase currently venting to the atmosphere.

If you look @ my pictures, the failure started at the seem, from what looks to be poor welds. Look at the first picture you will notice a notch in the pipe if you look close this is where the seem is & it runs the whole length of the pipe. And yes heat I am sure is a definite factor.

It's not welded, it's brazed. But poor brazing is likely the cause...

Thanks unclemat I didn't know that. Yea poor brazing & heat are the likely cause we all know what happens to inadequate metal once it heats up.

so what are you supposed to do? hope to god your under warranty when it breaks?

this totally sucks, is there a better part you can pick up to replace this? gotta pick up a lgt AND a better oil pick up tube....

any thing major to pull apart to get to this tube besides the oil pan?

Just oil pan but that's supposedly pita... requires jacking up engine a bit.

No replacements now, except Moroso pan+pickup (pricey). A guy on nasioc is working on aftermarket replacement for the stock ones.

Another alternative is 2.0 WRX or FXT oil pan and pickup. No reports were reported on these cars, although the design is similar. The disadvantage is that equal leangth headers won't work with these pans, but then most people probably don't care about that.

so what are you supposed to do? hope to god your under warranty when it breaks?

this totally sucks, is there a better part you can pick up to replace this? gotta pick up a lgt AND a better oil pick up tube....

any thing major to pull apart to get to this tube besides the oil pan?

Not really sure, still don't have my car. And because this now happened to me I am really nervous to do any mods. I am afraid it will happen again:eek:.

Not really sure, still don't have my car. And because this now happened to me I am really nervous to do any mods. I am afraid it will happen again:eek:.

Depends. There are clues that SOA has special "secret" part one cannot order , but dealer can, according to two techs on nasioc. This could not be reliably confirmed.

If your dealer put regular off-the-shelf part, then if it's the newer design/recent batch, then yeah, likelyhood of it failing again is high.

The trend is that 04 STIs fail at high miles, while 06-07 STIs fail sooner.

Interestingly no 05 STI or LGT failures seem to be reported.

The trend is that 04 STIs fail at high miles, while 06-07 STIs fail sooner.

Interestingly no 05 STI or LGT failures seem to be reported.

There is not enough confirmed Legacy data for a trend, in any direction.

ignore him, he'll go away.

There is not enough confirmed Legacy data for a trend, in any direction.

You're absolutely right. But what is odd is no 05 STI failures, although a guy says "he remembers reading about one".

Archived