LegacyGT.com

Oil Light

The claims adjustor went out today and wanted to put a used motor in but the dealer talked them out of it. Bad news is the turbo is 4-8 weeks out which is BS because they told me for $250 out of my pocked they could get it from another dealer. They should charge the warranty company because they only pay for 6 days of a rental and i will be up to 9 weeks if it goes the full wait. Fortunately i have a 2nd car but im just happy it happened now cause my warranty is up in 6,000 miles (75k) so im lucky. But i am thinking of getting rid of the car if i can break even which is doubtful but i might try.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I was told straight into face, your warranty problem is a loss for us...

I've been told this by several of dealerships up here too; Subaru and non-Subaru.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Yeah I want to hear from Kevin.

OP speak up!

Is your car fixed?

Did you replace it with the same faulty pick up tube?

Did subaru have a reason why they think the pick up failed?

Will they admit they need a new design for that part?

Such a crucial part should be bullet proof!

I'm very curious to see if you went a head and told them to install an aftermarket one.

I would have!

Ok I will try and clear some of the confusion up. However, I am not here to argue the facts or bicker why we should charge the same as warranty, yadda yadda, etc. If you want to argue, find another thread, I won't entertain you. I am giving you the information to help clear things up. Thanks.:D

Whenever a dealer performs warranty work, there is a set labor time that Subaru dictates that ALL dealers will get. Regardless of what dealer it is, they will be paid x amount of labor time for a specific repair operation for warranty work ONLY!

Now when it is NOT warranty most dealers charge a higher time per job than what the manufacturer will pay. Very few dealers actually charge the same time as warranty. That is up to the individual dealer though. Many warranty repairs can cause the technician to lose out on time because some of the repairs times are right at the exact time it takes and I have seen some pay them less than the time it took(very few repairs, but it can happen).

If a dealer does uses the warranty time guide they can lose money overall but that will depends on a few things like volume of repairs, hourly rate,etc. Most dealers who are small and have small volume charge more time for a specific repair and honestly that is how most labor time guides are. There is a set time for manufacturer warranty and non warranty.

Me personally, I love warranty because it is work and I don;t have to worry about being competitive with other shops in the area when it comes to pricing. I never tell my customer that I lose money because of their warranty issues. That is the wrong thing to say and we are here for warranty issues and non warranty.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

:lol:

Stephen Kings IT.

Only if you show your avatar to them:D:lol:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I never tell my customer that I lose money because of their warranty issues. That is the wrong thing to say and we are here for warranty issues and non warranty.

Mr. Olsen, the general manager, and their service manager Dave at Village Subaru in Acton could learn this from you as well. Such frakking assholes. That was year ago and I still boil when I think how they treated me. I wrote a letter to SOA I never mailed, but damn, I should do it. If I was in charge of a company that cares about its name, I'd have booted that stealership on the spot.

Better yet, take them for a ride and reduplicate the same rpm and mph with them. If they aren't crapping themselves you could be ok. Before you do that come pick me up for the ride too:D

Sorry guys I haven’t checked this thread in a while. I am still fighting with SOA; they have agreed to cover my car up to 100000 miles for any engine related troubles due to the pickup tube, which I say not good enough... I want them to replace the engine. The car is still running fine & shows no sign currently of premature engine wear. Dysan labs tested the oil & it showed minor issues don’t remember what it said, my lawyer has the paper work... I am just concerned I will have trouble later on down the road... I will keep you informed if I win the fight...

Most likely they will if no engine damage is noticed.

Don't you think that is foolish to replace a part that failed with the same part when there are multiple failures. It should be acknowledged as a known weak point.

I don't get it.

You also have to look at it this way. On here, yes it may be a multiple failures. In reality, how many Legacy GT's suffer this failure? I and my Rep has seen 1. There is a much bigger group of people who own these cars that do not even come online. What might be a lot on here, is in reality very few when you combine all the cars produced. Same with the STI. Granted, he has seen quite a few 06-07's fail. I have seen 0.

Subaru and any manufacturer as a company can not afford to replace an entire engine or product when an internal part has failed that hasn't caused a catastrophic failure of the entire thing. Would it be nice for the customer? Of course it would. Now lets say it was out of warranty, would the customer then want to pay for an entire engine to be replaced(4-6 grand) or just replace what is failed(a few hundred)? It is different now a different perspective is involved that now involves the customers money.;) From my experience the customer will go with what is cheaper, but it will always be different when it isn't their dollar on the bill.

Of course when they see these failures, other things should be checked to eliminate other damage and the possibility of a comeback. They should be checking the oil screens, pan, etc to look for any metal or bearing issues.

OK, I see your point.

And I understand and agree that what we see on the forum is never the NORM... because none of us our normal.... we are the rare people who actually care about their car and follow them closely.

But if this is a known weak point I just think they shouldn't replace it with the same part that failed before.

It is the attitued that "I hope it lasts longer this time" that I don't like.

It is not their intention I'm sure...but that is how it comes off when I see these same oil pick ups that obviously have a problem being installed again and again.

Now my guess is that if Subaru sees more pick up tube failures they may think about this again.

What happens when the same car has the pick up tube fail twice.

Now that would be interesting.

:)

Hey Kevin,

I'm still wondering if they just put another OEM pick up tube back in its place?

I was told no. The part was shipped in from SOA direct, Mechanic said is was a beefed up oil pickup tube. I saw it and it looked a little thicker…

I was told no. The part was shipped in from SOA direct, Mechanic said is was a beefed up oil pickup tube. I saw it and it looked a little thicker…

Interesting. It confirms the "conspiracy theory" there is a special part that you cannot get via normal over-the-counter part order.

There was a tech on nasioc that posted about this and got muzzled for that and almost lost his job (I called their service department to inquire about the part and inadvertently caused trouble for him). I think Opie, blackfang and Tristan (ex FredBreans parts manager) denied there is a special part available.... yet SOA seems to ship "special" pickup when these failures happen.....

OK, I see your point.

And I understand and agree that what we see on the forum is never the NORM... because none of us our normal.... we are the rare people who actually care about their car and follow them closely.

I am not saying that. What I am saying is there is a much smaller group of people on a forum than the entire population.

But if this is a known weak point I just think they shouldn't replace it with the same part that failed before.

Like i said, if it was a huge problem, then how come I have only seen it on 1 Legacy GT instead of the 15-20 that we service regularly. We also service 10-12 STI's regularly and haven't seen 1 failure. Of course there are some that have failed for both cars, but we only see those who post on here. To us it is a known problem, but when you add 30,000 cars to the mix, it isn't as huge when maybe 100 are failing. However, it goes back to what I was saying. There are much more owners out there than there are owners who post on these forums. Of those that post on the forums, only those with failures comment or post about it. So you aren't hearing from everyone. I would venture to say you are seeing a very very small percentage of the cars out there that have these issues.

It is the attitued that "I hope it lasts longer this time" that I don't like.

It is not their intention I'm sure...but that is how it comes off when I see these same oil pick ups that obviously have a problem being installed again and again.

Of course not, but it also costs money. Would you be willing to pay more money for your Subaru because they are spending $4-6,000 for a warranty repair when the part itself that failed cost them under $200? If it costs Subaru more to make the repair, they will have to make the money up somehow. If you were out of warranty and it isn't covered would you pay the full price of an engine verse what it costs to replace the pickup tube alone?

Now my guess is that if Subaru sees more pick up tube failures they may think about this again.

What happens when the same car has the pick up tube fail twice.

Now that would be interesting.

:)

It all comes down to a what if.

There is a guy on nasioc that had the pickup fail TWICE on his car. He caught it in time the second time and saved his built motor.

^^ I know of 2 instances of the second installed pickup failing, one of them the guy unclemat is refering to on nasioc. There are definitly more more failures than what you see on the forums because I get 1-2 calls a month from guys that come across my website because they were researching why thier pickup failed, and for an aftermarket solution. Mostly STi owners that aren't forum type people but still car enthusiasts. I crunched some numbers a few months ago based on polls, phone calls and what some engine builder had to say. My statistical GUESTIMATE was that the failure rate was 1-2%. Pretty low, but when you consider the thousands of each model that is produced that means hundeds of them are likely to fail.

As far as the OEM conspiracy pickup. I think it's a bogus rumor. Some people see that the pickups in the newer EJs (2006+) are different and have called that the 'improved' version, when in fact it's got a higher failure rate. Every lead I've had regarding the super OEM pickup has turned up nothing, and this has included calls to dealerships.

I almost got my car back today after giving it to the dealership almost 4 weeks ago. At $5200 billed to my extended warranty company i anticipated issues as i always tend to have them when other people touch my car. The car appeared fairly clean and put back together minus a greasy arm print on the door sill. But i made it about 2 miles then smoke poured from the hood so i stopped and saw coolant leaking. After keeping my cool i gave it back and took a rental but it seemed to be a loose coolant line to the turbo.

On a good note the car felt smooth and strong as the put a short block, turbo, oil pump and a bunch of misc things. So hopefully i get it back with no issues because at this point i would sell it if i could break even. But i enjoy the car and had hopes to pay it off and maybe lightly mod it.

I realize im not the only one that has issues taking their cars in for service but i feel like its every time. This dealer is among the better as well and i still feel like they feed me bs as 2 miles out the car has issues and with a major repair they should drive it more that a few miles especially with a pieced together motor not even a long block.

I also had shortblock replaced by "better dealer". Forget it, I only found all the f**** ups later after opening up the motor. Good luck with yours.

Got it back today and the car feels good but i have to take it easy to break it in. I have not looked it over again since they replaced some clamps for coolant lines but it seems to run very smooth if not smoother than before.

I hope for my sake it will be fine otherwise i will to try cut my losses and sell it but im doubtful it will be a easy sale. I hope others don't have to deal with the BS that some of us have because i bought a new car to drive and i expected better than this out of my first brand new car. Once i get caught up from my recent layoff i plan to do the modified pick up to eliminate the threat but the work is covered for one year unlimited miles so i have some time.

Archived