LegacyGT.com

Oil Light

i think with the legacy's, there is really not THAT big of a community that log on and report on the forums. really limiting the breaks and failures of parts like this from becoming known.

raising the engine a bit to get to the pan and possibly saving yourself in the long run is easier then a motor swap though. im just curious where it bolts to on the block or oil pump

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends. There are clues that SOA has special "secret" part one cannot order , but dealer can, according to two techs on nasioc. This could not be reliably confirmed.

If your dealer put regular off-the-shelf part, then if it's the newer design/recent batch, then yeah, likelyhood of it failing again is high.

The trend is that 04 STIs fail at high miles, while 06-07 STIs fail sooner.

Interestingly no 05 STI or LGT failures seem to be reported.

All I know is it took two days for the part to get here, Subaru said it will be installed Friday. The old part is being shipped directly back to Subaru.

Originally Posted by unclemat http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

Are people reporting it to NHTSA? Everyone who had this happen should. SOA needs their asses kicked for not doing anything about it in two years these problems started appearing. Here is the link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

I am the second 06 LGT wagon with a broken oil pickup tube 37000 miles completely stock. Fighting with Subaru now, engine didn't blow but i wished it did. Complaint currently being submitted @ nhtsa. I urge everyone who has had this happen to them please submit a complaint, especially the ones who it has happened twice too.

06 Legacy LGT wagonhttp://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/diaf.gif

Fighting? Are you trying to get a new engine?

Yes I am either trying to get a rebuild or new. I will be shipping my oil out to http://www.dysonanalysis.com/ and get an analysis. The dealership is saying I am all set nothing wrong with my engine. Now don't get me wrong I love the dealer I go to but that's what they are being told by Subaru.

NHTSA submitted ODI # 10232580. Please I urge you all we need to complain, to Subaru & NHTSA to fix this issue. I am sure there will be more legacy's in the near future.:eek:

Very good! If all people who had this failure reported it I bet SOA would be already doing something about it.

• 7 months later...
Great thanks for the info. I will try to get a picture of the tube, & will keep you all informed. Good call on the Oil analysis would have not even thought about it, where would I send something like this.:confused:

Where do I find the "Oil pick up tube"? Is it oil for the engine or the tube for the turbo? How should you be inspecting it?

Thanks for the help

Karl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might be added to this list as my 2006 Stock LGT has proper oil level and im getting the oil light and heard slight knock today. I have aprox 68,000 with a extended 75k warranty but i will certainly fight this if its what i think it is.

I will keep you guys posted as i have to have it towed in since i don't want to blow the engine. (or do i) LOL

You may want to blow it actually. Otherwise they will slap new pickup and wave you goodbye.

That is the worst advice I think I've ever seen you post...

driving a car with a suspected problem and causing more damage is abuse...

I think unclemat's advice came from the knowledge that Subaru will simply replace the broken pickup if the motor still runs. They will not break down the motor to check for scored bearings, rod knock, or any other effects from loss of oil pressure. Some forum members have gone the route of bringing the car in before complete engine failure. After repairing the pickup they left the customer hanging in the breeze when issues like excessive noise, vibration, or oil consumption still linger after the repair. Do you know of any dealership that will breakdown and check a motor because the customer feels it's too loud or consumes too much oil?

It's unfortunate, but I agree with unclemat, based on the experience of others who have gone through this and the fact that our engines require a lot of oil flow to operate properly. Without that flow for even a short period of time, especially at higher RPMs or under load, damage can occur that may not be immediately noticed. If the engine blows, they replace it with a new shortblock and you're not left guessing if any of your internals have been compromised from oil loss.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2964843886_35416ea6f0_o.jpg

That is the worst advice I think I've ever seen you post...

driving a car with a suspected problem and causing more damage is abuse...

Frankly, I'd have hard time personally doing this (I hate breaking or wasting things), but my experience with dealers and SOA is they try at all cost to avoid performing warranty repairs.

If the car runs and there are no "obvious" problems I am sure they would send the customer on his merry way, possibly with scored bearings. Such engine may last many thousads additional miles, but may be down at power and may eventually spin a bearing. As you should now, you can't check bearings without tearing down the engine. I venture to bet they would ignore visible metal particles in the oil if the car "runs".

Yeah, sure you could do UOA to get some clue, but then dealers will look at you as an wacko as soon as you mention UOA. I heard few times UOA "is not what we do, neither SOA would care".

OTOH, having your averge dealer monkey replace the shortblock is major gamble itself. Mine f***** many other things in the process, and I ended up rebuilding it and replacing it myself again. Yes, they are SO BAD here.

Village Subaru, Acton MA = bunch of jerks and incompetent morons

This is what im afraid of because it definately had a knock from oil starvation fortunately only for a short time at low RPM's. I hate having the dealers work on my car and have already had bad experiences at 2 local dealers. I guess im going to bite the bullet and see what happens and push for a warranty extension.

But that's all a result of bad dealers, there are good ones.

Broken pick-up tube means loss of oil pressure. Every dealer should inspect for further damage if this is found, is all they have to do is check the bottom of the pan for bearing material.

Not sure why they wouldn't want to do warranty work, we get paid the same labor rate if it's warranty or customer pay here.

But that's all a result of bad dealers, there are good ones.

Broken pick-up tube means loss of oil pressure. Every dealer should inspect for further damage if this is found, is all they have to do is check the bottom of the pan for bearing material.

Not sure why they wouldn't want to do warranty work, we get paid the same labor rate if it's warranty or customer pay here.

It's a mystery. Apparently not the case here, because I was told straight into face, your warranty problem is a loss for us. Straight from the jerk general manager at Village Subaru.

Dealer just called and said the oil pick up was fine but seemed to have low oil pressure and made me give them 8 hours of diagnosis time before they contact the extended warranty company. It seems like this is going to be a hastle but i am glad my car is bone stock the only issue i forsee is them hastling me because i do all the maitnance myself but have all my documentation.

Update-Dealer called me back after the tear down and said it was the pick up tube so he lied the day before and must have just drainded the oil and saw all the metal in it. But the turbo and block are in need of replacement and the turbo is on national back order so this is going to be a painful process. Plus im waiting for Complete Care the 3rd party warranty company to approve the repair.

If i keep the car i think i will be adding a oil pressure gauge for sure.

Update-Dealer called me back after the tear down and said it was the pick up tube so he lied the day before and must have just drainded the oil and saw all the metal in it. But the turbo and block are in need of replacement and the turbo is on national back order so this is going to be a painful process. Plus im waiting for Complete Care the 3rd party warranty company to approve the repair.

If i keep the car i think i will be adding a oil pressure gauge for sure.

Tell them to give you a VF52 from the 09 WRX ;)

Archived