LegacyGT.com

Coolant Change

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped in to talk to my master tech and wish him a Happy New Year. The topic of coolant change came up and I asked him what was the best way to get as much of the old coolant out as possible and this is the process that he uses.

• Buy:
    • A new gasket for your thermostat housing,
    • 1 gallon of the Subaru coolant (2 gals of the super long life coolant),
    • 1 gallon of distilled water not required if you go the super long coolant route),
    • 1 container (4oz) Subaru Coolant Conditioner

[*]Remove the lower engine cover

[*]Undo the top radiator hose from the radiator

[*]Undo the thermostat housing, remove it from the block, being sure to note the orientation of the thermostat (there's a detent/mark on it)

[*]Remove the coolant filler tank cap (above the left cylinder bank)

[*]Allow the coolant to drain as completely as possible from the thermostat housing.

[*]Reseat the thermostat and then reattach the housing using the new gasket

[*]Leaving the coolant filler tank cap off, load the coolant through the upper radiator hose until it fills the coolant filler tank up to the neck, then put the cap back on

[*]Continue to fill through the radiator hose until the fluid starts to flow into the overflow tank

[*]Reattach the upper radiator hose

[*]Fill the overflow tank until the full mark is reached

[*]Check for leaks

[*]Start and run the car at 2-3K RPM for more than five minutes

[*]

If the engine coolant level drops in coolant filler tank, add engine coolant to filler neck position

[*]

If the engine coolant level drops from “FULL” level of reservoir tank, add engine coolant to “FULL” level

[*]

Recheck for leaks

[*]

Reattach the lower engine cover and operate as normal

HTH.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sounds good. I've always removed the thermostat cover

myself - easier than trying to remove engine block plugs.

I also like to flush things out with a garden hose. I guess

the wisdom of that depends on how clean your water is - mine

is well water with very little mineral content.

I think I'll use the subaru coolant, I do have a pile of subaru bucks laying around, but I'd like someone else to do it...

The reason I resist is because the local dealer charges $90 for an alignment and $120 for a coolant flush, double what I'm used to paying. I hope it's not the normal price around here (just moved from Nashville to Seattle)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was driving home from the zoo and came to a stoplight; noticed a coolant smell and "smoke" coming from the hood scoop. I ended up driving the rest of the way home, about 5 miles on a highway with only one stop, and during that time my temperature guage crept up to the red line. It never went all the way to the top. When I got home, I took a look under the hood and noticed the upper radiator hose was split open right at the spring clamp near the engine block, and it was spurting out coolant.

Today I bought a new hose, installed it, and poured in new coolant (Peak Longlife). I poured it in both filler caps, until it reached the top, and then filled the reserve tank to "FULL."

I'm thinking maybe I put too much coolant in; that I was supposed to fill the reserve tank to "LOW" when it was cold.

Question: What happens if you have too much coolant? Is there a relief valve or some way to get rid of the excess fluid? Is this even a problem? If so, what's the best way to fix it?

Thanks!!!

There is no pressure relief valve, but by the sounds of your fill process, you'll very likely have air pockets. This is the process that I now use (based on how my master mech showed me to do it) to avoid air pockets (read hot spots in the block and heads). Remember boxer engines aren't vertical like I-4, I-6, and other V-profiled engines. Air gets trapped if you don't fill it correctly. Process

Well, I didn't have the ability to lit the car, so I could not remove the thermostat. I had read this entry but didn't understand how pouring the coolant through the upper hose was any different than pouring it through the cap above the turbo. But that filled up to the neck quickly and then I had to switch to the actual radiator. After I let it run for five minutes, I went back to both places, and the fluid was still all the way to the top. I will check it this morning before I drive it and see what the levels are, and top off as necessary.

Well, I didn't have the ability to lit the car, so I could not remove the thermostat.

Huh ?!? You don't need to be able to lift the car to remove the thermostat.

If you're super fat or something, you could jack up by the left-front wheel

(so the tire still touches the ground, but the springs are decompressed)

to provide a little more clearance, Clarence.

I thought it was down by the lower radiator hose...since one of the steps in that process was to remove the lower engine cover. In any case, I didn't feel the need to drain all the fluid...it was still a nice shade of green and I have less than 14,000 miles on it.

I thought it was down by the lower radiator hose...since one of the steps in that process was to remove the lower engine cover. In any case, I didn't feel the need to drain all the fluid...it was still a nice shade of green and I have less than 14,000 miles on it.

Yes, it is by the lower radiator hose and you do need to remove the lower

engine cover. I still don't see why you think you need to lift the car -

maybe I'm in a state of blissful ignorance, never actually having removed

the engine cover on my new car - any tips ?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally changed my coolant today. No fun. Removing the engine under-cover

was easy, although it helped to jack up the front of the car a little. But those

OEM hose-clamps are from HELL, especially getting them back on. You have to

squeeze the sides together with pliers and work em onto the hose, but it opens

just barely enough to fit over the hose. If the pliers slip off, which they will,

it'll crush the hose, or else go flying 20 feet. Wear eye protection when messing

with these artifacts from HELL, seriously ... I woulda replaced 'em with the nice

helical worm-gear kind, but I didn't have any big enough.

Also, the instructions for re-filling (#77 in this thread) talk about adding coolant

through the still-disconnected upper radiator hose, until coolant comes up to the

neck of the radiator. Note you have to wait awhile for this to happen, because

the thermostat (which you've already re-installed at this point), will be closed, so

as you add coolant to the upper hose, it has to flow through the engine block and

through the tiny bypass hole in the thermostat before the radiator level comes up.

Anyhow, so far so good. But then the instructions say to put the radiator cap on

and add MORE coolant through the hose 'til it flows into the reservoir/overflow

tank. However, what happens instead is that it flows out the flange (on the

radiator) for the disconnected upper radiator hose. What's up with that ?

There is no pressure relief valve, but by the sounds of your fill process, you'll very likely have air pockets. This is the process that I now use (based on how my master mech showed me to do it) to avoid air pockets (read hot spots in the block and heads). Remember boxer engines aren't vertical like I-4, I-6, and other V-profiled engines. Air gets trapped if you don't fill it correctly. Process

So let's say the job is already done - my coolant level is full (filled to top in radiator and the tank above the turbo, and a little above the LOW mark in the reserve bottle while cold). The mix is perfect at 50/50. But i didn't fill it right, so I probably have air pockets. How do I get rid of them without draining any fluid?

So let's say the job is already done - my coolant level is full (filled to top in radiator and the tank above the turbo, and a little above the LOW mark in the reserve bottle while cold). The mix is perfect at 50/50. But i didn't fill it right, so I probably have air pockets. How do I get rid of them without draining any fluid?

I imagine you could disconnect the radiator end of the upper radiator

hose (with the engine off and cold) and see if you can pour in some

50/50 mix into the end of the hose. But I suspect some coolant

will spill out when you disconnect the hose. But then you can pull

the end of the hose a few inches above where it connects and maybe

get more in than spilled out. Wait awhile as your pour it in, because

the thermostat will be closed, so you have to wait for coolant to flow

through the tiny bypass valve in the thermostat for the level to

equilibrate. Parking the car on the steepest upslope you can find

might help too - and/or jack up the front end if you have

a floor jack. Make sure the heater is set to max. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the manual says 7.7 US Quarts but if you do a coolant removal using "REGULAR METHOD" not removing the thermostat and block plugs.....

how much coolant should I buy to replace and fill.

I did this years ago but for some reason don't have the record of how many bottles I purchased.

For some reason I odn't remember spending $80 on coolant!

At $10 a bottle it can get expensive......

^ This presumes two gallons of the new pre-mixed Subaru super long coolant, or one of the older coolant and one gallon of distilled water.

I should have just done a conversion of quarts to gallons.

I was OFF on my initial thoughts.

7.7 quarts is 1.9 gallons.

SO even if we got every last drop of coolant out of the engine 2 gallons is still more than enough.

I bought 1 gallon of Subaru stuff and I will use 1 gallon of distilled water!

Can't wait!

Also bought a bottle of Redline Watter Wetter when I got my gear oil today. :)

In regards to changing out the thermostat I haven't seen much discussion about it. Someone asked the question earlier and the response was that if there isn't a reason to chagne then I would wait until timing belt change at 105k miles.

I agree with this thinking.

Only thing that confused me is that I was visiting a Subaru only vendor and in the list of services they had listed coolant change and they showed a new thermostat swap with every coolant change.

Is this overkill or a good precaution?

About to do my 60k service and was wondering about that thermostat.

I would think it would be fine for 105k miles.

Your thoughts are appreciated......

I had started a thread on draining the radiator from up top, but didn't get much of a response. Rather than drop the tray etc., just reach the drain plug by feel, and use a 3/8" drive socket with a phillips head screw tip. Granted, you need to know where the plug is located and have a good sense of working where you cannot see. You would need to remove the air intake which feeds the air filter box.

Archived