LegacyGT.com

Coolant Change

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^ its the MUST use Subaru special coolant conditioner. Comes in a 4 oz. bottle at Subaru parts dealers. Fail to use it and no warrenty coverage for coolant related failures.

You add it into your cooling system when you do a coolant change.

Made in England by Holts.

Got it. Never noticed the Holts bit before so that's what was confusing me. Thanks for clarifying.

But, this prompted me to check my bottle (blue) and the Holts name is embossed on the bottom of the bottle. And, sure enough, the Manufactured in England for Subaru of America, Inc. is listed on the back. 4.4 fl. oz. It's still sealed so I can tell whether there's any solids in it. It does advise to shake bottle well and it sounds like you did that.

To your comment above, I've used it before and while there appears to be some suspended globules in the mix (after shaking), I've never noticed the solid brown stuff that you're referring to with your's. Dunno. Have you cracked open the radiator cap to see if it's mixed in yet or still clumping together?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The part # for this stuff is SOA635071. The PN on the attachment is SOA345001. are these the same thing but with different part numbers?

No I did not shake mine first , but I did dilute it with antifreeze.

Thank you for the reply I was getting ready to go see my Subaru parts guy and was not happy.

The part # for this stuff is SOA635071. The PN on the attachment is SOA345001. are these the same thing but with different part numbers?

No I did not shake mine first , but I did dilute it with antifreeze.

Thank you for the reply I was getting ready to go see my Subaru parts guy and was not happy.

I believe the SOA345001 P/N is for the 12-bottle pack lot box. The SOA635071 P/N is for the single bottle.

And I presume you used Subaru OEM coolant too, correct? Recommend you do check your coolant to see if you the clumps have resolved. If not, recommend you check with your parts guy/master tech to see what they recommend. Keep us posted.

SBT

I've not changed mine out and am at 60K miles right now. Unless I see some indication that I need to, don't plan to do this until the 105K T-belt change out.

The T-stat is located just below the water pump at the lower front side of the engine where the bottom radiator hose connects to the engine. For location, does the attached help?

SBT

05 - Thermostat.pdf

Where are the coolant drain plugs in the block? I'm going to change my oil today, and I'll look around to see if I can find them, but I figured I'd ask here as well...

Thanks!

The only drain plug to be concerned about, at least on the 2.5T engines is in the bottom left back side of the radiator, as you're facing the engine (looking toward the rear of the car).

SBT

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Subaru standard-size thingie of coolant, is it a gallon? It's at home so I can't tell. Should I be dilluting it? What ratio?

i put prestone in mine, i got a talking with the man at auto zone and he said you should run a 50/50 coolant/water mix, is that true?

Anything stronger than 50/50 won't cool as well, nor will it protect in extreme cold (not much of an issue for most of us in the USA). I always use the genuine coolant and the additive from Subaru. Not that expensive and recommended by many on the forum.

ok if you are not using the "subaru coolant" then what brand are others using...

i just hit 2 part stores and can't find anything other than that extended life yellow shit... the guy at the store looked at me like people havn't been using the green stuff for years??

can anyone clear this up for me.. i bought Subaru Long Life Coolant: Antifreeze and Engine Coolant... on the back of the jug it says:

" Requires no additional corrosion inhibitors. A 50/50 mixture of Subaru and Long Life Coolant and water is recommend for year round protection."

does this mean i only do 50% of this 1 gallon jug and 50% water?? and do i not need the special sauce??

Peak Global Lifetime coolant. Comes premixed 50/50. Meets subaru's requirements for the coolant system.

is it green or the new yellow stuff.... can you mix the 2 and be covered under warranty? i figure i'll have some coolant left in the block, and i wasn't going to flush it... just drain the coolant... i was (if it's as easy as my 95) going to pull the lower hose at the t-stat and let it drain after i did the rad. plug.

oh, add for the premix stuff.. i think you need to buy the special 1.49 sauce... unless it says it come with it mixed

is it green or the new yellow stuff.... can you mix the 2 and be covered under warranty? i figure i'll have some coolant left in the block, and i wasn't going to flush it... just drain the coolant... i was (if it's as easy as my 95) going to pull the lower hose at the t-stat and let it drain after i did the rad. plug.

oh, add for the premix stuff.. i think you need to buy the special 1.49 sauce... unless it says it come with it mixed

Yellow. You can add it to the subaru OEM coolant with no problems. The peak global Lifetime also says right on the jug 50/50 prediluted Antifreeze and coolant.

There are several older threads about this coolant and the subaru OEM stuff.

well i guess the yellow stuff is what i'll use...

i'm calling a dealership today to get their thoughts on this matter... i know the guys there (i work at an auto auction) so they will be on the level with me..

Make sure you use the correct grade/spec/whatever of coolant if you don't go with the OEM stuff. Otherwise it will end up corroding all the aluminium parts in the cooling system and you'll end up with clogs too, due to all that corroded aluminium floating around.

Make sure you use the correct grade/spec/whatever of coolant if you don't go with the OEM stuff. Otherwise it will end up corroding all the aluminium parts in the cooling system and you'll end up with clogs too, due to all that corroded aluminium floating around.

I'm with you - too much opportunity for corrosion otherwise.

I used OEM coolant

This is something you do every 30,000 miles or say 2.5 years.

regular coolant was $10

Subaru + conditioner was $25.

How much does a new cooling system cost? How much does a new engine & turbo cost when cooling system fails?

Over that 30,000 miles at $4.50/gallon avergaing 22mpg fuel alone is going to cost you over $6000.

$15 over 30,000 miles is nothing.

Do it yourself? It's so easy. I just pull the lower radiator hose off and it all drains VERY quickly (less than 5 minutes). For the filling procedure, I just fill both reservoirs, and run the engine until it's at operating temperature. Keep your defrost on full blast and if your coolant gauge reads high but the air blowing is still cool, just rev the engine to push out all the air bubbles. :)

Archived