LegacyGT.com

Coolant Change

I got a gallon of gen-u-whine Subaru coolant today but forgot the special sauce (Woulda thought the parts monkey would have tried to add to his sale). Would it be alright if I do the drain/fill tomorrow and just put the special sauce in later on when i have time to get it? Thoughts?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a gallon of gen-u-whine Subaru coolant today but forgot the special sauce (Woulda thought the parts monkey would have tried to add to his sale). Would it be alright if I do the drain/fill tomorrow and just put the special sauce in later on when i have time to get it? Thoughts?

Should be fine. The special sauce ,AKA Subaru additive is only 4 ounces. Be sure to shake it up well before dumping it in.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 gallon should do it. Per the tech manual, the cooling system holds 7.7 U.S Qts (MT model) and 7.6 U.S. Qts (AT model) which is nearly 8 quarts (2 U.S. gallons). To maintain the recommended 50/50 antifreeze to water dilution on a MT model, you'd need ~ 4 Qts (3.9) of Subaru OEM AF and ~4 Qts (3.9) of distilled water plus the 4 ozs of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner. Should be good to go.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

can we run a radiator flush cleaner first or is this not needed?

Depends on how dirty your coolant is. I don't let my coolant get that dirty because I figure anything that's harsh enough to clean up a cooling system cannot be that good for it. A "flush" with clean water ought to do it. My question is do we add the secret sauce to the new (extended life) coolant the same as we did with the original?

can we run a radiator flush cleaner first or is this not needed?

The only flush I would do would be with fresh water. If you're changing it at the prescribed intervals (either normal driving or harsh conditions driving intervals) then you shouldn't have any reason to flush it with other than water, if that. The less I put into that alloy block and head system, that's not specifically made for it, the less concerned I am about contaminants and metalurgical reactions.

My question is do we add the secret sauce to the new (extended life) coolant the same as we did with the original?

The answer would be yes. They both have their role in the cooling system. And what is the extended life Subaru coolant that you're referring to above?

^^^ I think he means the same as the "new" collant I was refering to.

The " new" stuff is blue in color ( I think) vr's the "old" Subaru coolant that is green in color.

The new stuff came out recently , and is listed for the newest cars. I'm trying to determine weather the '05 -'06 should go with the old or new stuff ?

Thanks for info Subietonic!

Please check the front label to see if the coolant you're buying is already pre-diluted to 50/50. I know that the new Super Long Life Fluid is so you'd need two gallons of that, not just one as stated previously.

Just some pertinent, recent (Nov 2008) tech info from SOA on coolant, coolant change out, flushing information and system conditioner

Thank you. This is the info I was seeking. Yes the new super long life coolant is blue. Yes its OK to use in our ( older ) cars , and with this the change interval is 11 years and /or 137,500 miles.

yes continue to also add the Subaru additive too

Thanks again for the official word.

Pre-diluted? And we thought the secret sauce was a scam to get a little extra cash out of us. I probably won't leave the new coolant in my car for more than a few years, but with distilled water costing $1/gallon, I don't like paying for pre-diluted coolant.

Thank you. This is the info I was seeking. Yes the new super long life coolant is blue. Yes its OK to use in our ( older ) cars , and with this the change interval is 11 years and /or 137,500 miles.

yes continue to also add the Subaru additive too

Thanks again for the official word.

And don't flush with anything except fresh water, and definitely no power flushers unless you want to buy their recommended version and then only use it on Subarus (and then only those Subarus with fully alloy block).

I asked SOA about the new super coolant. Here is what I got:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

If you choose to use the Subaru Super Coolant in your Legacy, you must flush out all of the Subaru Long-Life coolant before you replace with the Super Coolant in order to take advantage of the Super Coolant replacement interval of 137,500 miles or 132 months.

Subaru Super Coolant can be mixed with the Subaru Long Life Coolant in your 2008 Subaru Legacy; however, when mixed, the replacement interval must be followed for Subaru Long Life Coolant (30 months/30,000 miles).

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

I'll put in the super coolant at 30K and then swap it out again at 60K before I use it long term.

^ If you want to, it's your vehicle to operate and maintain how you see fit. For myself, I want to reduce/eliminate any variability from my maintenance plan and that means using the OEM products as much as practical.

I'm just sticking with the 30K long life variety for now. Don't see any reason to change to the super long life stuff.

Archived