LegacyGT.com

Cover Scoop when you go to the car wash?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Cow.

I thought you guys were all kidding about the melting intercooler problem.

So I brought my car to the car wash today, sprayed it liberally with soapy water (before I went over the whole car with a soapy brush). After the whole car wash process was completed I drove the car outside to dry it, and noticed steam was coming out of the hood scoop.

I didn't think anything of it, but when I drove home I noticed my turbo didn't kick in when I was accelerating, and my 2.5GT felt like a 2.5i.

I popped the hood and sure enough, my intercooler had melted.

I don't have pics, but it looks exactly like the picture of Lawl's intercooler.. what do I do now?

I don't have enough $$ to buy a new intercooler right now!!!

^^^ :lol:

This is what to watch for. This is the beginning stages of the reaction.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/meltedintercooler.jpg

this is odd. mine never did this. i think you have a knockoff TMIC, dude.

car for sale. PM me!

this is odd. mine never did this. i think you have a knockoff TMIC, dude.

I'll bet he bought it off some guy on the street in NY city. The guy was selling watches too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There were a few that had a defect in them where there was drastic loss of power but the intercooler would not melt or burn. If you have one that doesnt do that then you will be even slower then the 2.5i.

TDC's 40bb will prevent this problem on stock TMIC. It's lack of boost down low causing this problem with the vf40.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I took my car into a car wash and forgot to plug up the scoop. When I drove out the other side, I found that, while my intercooler hadn't melted, my car had learned to stutter in 1st and that my wheel bearings were suddenly prone to falling apart.

Well, finally, I went to the touchless car wash and I guess week after week of it finally melted something because when it was done and I pulled out to dry it, there were bubbles coming from the mufflers and no boost.:spin:

Anyone knows if the AVO or Perrin is immune to this?

Guess I should have :rtfm: like the original poster! Oh wait...

Archived