LegacyGT.com

08 + Legacy GT VS Spec B

gugarci

Is the 6 speed gearbox, the 18" wheels and the Bilstein shocks worth the added price difference compared to a GT. How does the 6 speed compare to the 5 speed???

I'm currently driving a 5 speed WRX Wagon and have never had any issues with my gearbox. But I have read car mag reviews where people have complained about the clutch on the Legcacy's. Is the clutch on the Legacy that much different compared to my WRX's???

I'm looking to buy an 08 model but will probably wait till the 09 models come out for the better HK stereo.

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 6 speed is not needed- 5 gears are plenty and actually quite relaxing. the 6 speed does have the bling factor though.

the 18" rims look nice, and the suspension is said to be a bit better.

The fact that the spec B weighs more and costs more makes it a no-deal for me.

I've owned both a 2005 LGT 5MT and a 2008 LGT-B.

The B's gearbox / clutch feel somewhat "better" to me... easier to feel the engagement point and crisper shifting. Both cars had/have the optional Subaru short shifter.

I don't think it's a lot better.

Haven't done any instrumented runs with either car. The butt-dyno guess is that performance is identical or very similar.

HTH,

kenzo

not worth price... i spent $1600 on coilovers and edfc.
Enjoying your kidney punchers?

It never ceases to amaze me that the experienced engineers at Subaru overlooked coilovers as the perfect solution and instead relied on their racing experience to come up with inverted Bilstien struts and aluminum control and trailing arms. Of course, the engineers were looking to produce a true GT and not a kidney punching track car and that, I guess, was their mistake according to many of the pups around here. :rolleyes:

But then I'm in the stay stock stay happy minority and never fawned over WRXs.

The answer is no, performance-wise. If you like the additional features of the Spec B then you should buy one.

Prepare yourself for the onslaught :spin:

:munch:

He's right.......

If your're looking for outright performance. Just skip the LGT/spec. B. If you really want a Subaru, save your money and get a STI or if you want a proper performance car buy a used 'vette;)

6MT and the single mass flywheel on the '07+ spec. Bs are a much nicer shifting combo then even the revised gearset 5MT. The HLSD does a much better job of rotating the car then the VSLD.

The spec. B suspension is not a "track" suspension. Therefore, it won't outperform coliovers, on billard table smooth racetrack asphalt, during steady state static cornering.

However, if you do most of you drivng on real roads, that are less then perfect asphalt and are looking for a suspension that won't toss you off into the weeds mid corner. It does a pretty good job and doesn't beat the snot out of you or punish you if you make a driving error.

Also, I never understood the more gears = more shifting logic on a H pattern gearbox. You can suprisingly skip gears in a H pattern trasmission and once the spec. B is moving it doesn't protest to skipping a gear or two!!:eek:

Is the short shift kit worth the added cost to the Spec B and the LGT??? I drove a 5 speed LGT today and the gearbox felt good. I drove my brother 06 STI tonight with the short shift kit and that clutch and gear box felt better.

Now granted the LGT I drove today had 40 miles on the odometer my brother STI has about 26K miles. So one gearbox is broken in already.

Is the 6 speed gearbox, the 18" wheels and the Bilstein shocks worth the added price difference compared to a GT. How does the 6 speed compare to the 5 speed???
Yes. The 5-speed is mushy and weak, but if your wrx clutch feels fine, then you should have no problems. The STi clutch is a still a bit tighter still than the spec.b.

No the short throw is not worth it, I put mine in about 200 miles ago and it is a joke. Ofcourse, the 5MT has many other options for a STS, but in the spec.b right now there is only 1 true kit, or you can make your own from various STi and LGT parts which would be much better.

What you forgot to calculate in was the lsd, the tires and a host of other spec.b only parts that add to its performance and value over the gt. Plus you are already 2/3rd of the way to the highest recommended (non coilover) suspension setup on this site.

If you are going to be replacing the wheels & tires, and going with coilovers, then the spec.b probably isn't the best car for you. You can always replace the cluth and do a short throw kit for the gt, the gt clutch can hold some decent power.

On the other hand, if you are just going for power mods, or keeping the car relatively stock, the spec.b is a great buy.

Anyhow, this topic is pretty old and debated weekly, just drive them both (and the sti while your there), then let your foot and wallet make the decision.

Thanks for all the feeedback. Car is most likely to remain stock. Although my brother just bought an 06 STI and plans to mods it. So maybe I'll add more power myself down the road. Suspension wise if I buy the Spec B probably stock.

Archived