LegacyGT.com

08 + Legacy GT VS Spec B

gugarci

I'm more concerned with the gearboxes. Although most likely my car will remain stock. My WRX Wagon has 102k miles and I'm stilll using my stock clutch.

I had an '05 LGT 5MT for 50k miles and I've had my '07 Spec. B for about 31k. The clutch on the 5mt felt very light at the dealership, but the pedal effort increased by a factor of about 3-5 times within the first 2k miles of ownership. Not that it was ever tough to push, more that it eventually felt like a typical clutch rather than staying as ridiculously light as it was initially.

The 6MT on the Spec shifts much more smoothly, and the clutch engagement is significantly smoother. The 5MT on my '05 jerked a little some of the time. I'm told that the 5MT clutches have changed over the years so maybe that's not the case anymore, but my experience led me to prefer the 6MT rather dramatically over the 5MT.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6MT on the Spec shifts much more smoothly, and the clutch engagement is significantly smoother. The 5MT on my '05 jerked a little some of the time. I'm told that the 5MT clutches have changed over the years so maybe that's not the case anymore, but my experience led me to prefer the 6MT rather dramatically over the 5MT.

There were quite a few issues (comparatively) with the 05 LGT 5mt clutches it seems but things like that can be expected with first year models. My 06 5mt clutch is and has remained smooth and light (knock wood).

There were quite a few issues (comparatively) with the 05 LGT 5mt clutches it seems but things like that can be expected with first year models. My 06 5mt clutch is and has remained smooth and light (knock wood).

You are by far the most annoying person on this site.

I just thought that I would share this as everytime I read something with a post from you in it, it's some sort of bullshit about how your car is god and all else fails. It's tired, you have the same car that everyone else does AND for the price of a spec b over a LGT you could have upgraded the suspension got nicer wheels, you wouldn't have a period blood stained interior color, a custom fabbed NAV is probably better than Subaru's outdated NAV and boom there ya go.

Just felt the need to say it. Thank you and have a good day.

You are by far the most annoying person on this site.

I just thought that I would share this as everytime I read something with a post from you in it, it's some sort of bullshit about how your car is god and all else fails. It's tired, you have the same car that everyone else does AND for the price of a spec b over a LGT you could have upgraded the suspension got nicer wheels, you wouldn't have a period blood stained interior color, a custom fabbed NAV is probably better than Subaru's outdated NAV and boom there ya go.

Just felt the need to say it. Thank you and have a good day.

I simply noted that MY06+ clutches don't seem to exihibit the same problems as the MY05 clutches. Gremlins and glitches are common in 1st MY offerings from any OEM.

I am talking as a whole, I just quoted that post so you would know I meant you.
:rolleyes:

I can't speak to the MY 07 or 08s clutches because I don't own one. However, there don't seem to be complaints common to the 05s from those years either.

:rolleyes:

I can't speak to the MY 07 or 08s clutches because I don't own one. However, there don't seem to be complaints common to the 05s from those years either.

The clutch in the MY06 GT and MY07 forester I drove both felt like crap.

Maybe I am just an idiot, or not remembering correctly.

The 06 LGT I drove was a dealer demo, after driving it, I was not totally impressed and was still leaning towards the sti. Then I heard rumors of the 07 specs and waited. When they got hear I drove the spec and immeditely knew it was the car for me, it was just a better driving experience all-around. Not to sound like a vimy, but the whole package makes the car out accel, brake and handle the gt, while being a much better ride with even more luxury. I waited around to see what 08 would bring, but I liked the blue alcantara, and didn't like the 08 headlight and bumper.

Fact: My wife could drive the 06 just fine the first time she sat in it and only having driven the stick on my 4 runner twice, she can't even get the car moving with the spec. So the clutches are very different.

I've been on the fence about this LGT / LGT-B choice but leaning toward the LGT, all tricked out (i.e., 5EAT, Nav, etc). But I think I just changed my mind. The Spec-B 6MT appears to be a big improvement (for me) over other Subaru 6-speeds.

The one in my 05 STi had this annoying 4-5 shift, in terms of the RPM change. The best way I know to illustrate this is using ratios of the gear ratios -- the "upshift ratio" in the following picture is the fraction of RPMs you'll wind up at when shifting from, say, 2nd to 3rd or whatever.

http://www.hphanson.com/Pix/Gearing.jpg

So, for example, in the new STI or the LGT-B, shifting from 3rd to 4th at 4000RPM would put you at 3000RPM (ignoring the time the shift takes and so on).

When I first got my Honda S2000 (the AP2 curve), I was quite pleased at the progression of the ratios -- there's no dip like my STi had. Thinking about a new car, at first I was looking at the 2008 STI, but it has the same problem in the opposite sense.

But the Spec-B 6MT has this fixed.

Now, this isn't likely to change many peoples' minds (although there may be gloating from some quarters...), but it's changed mine. I get to pick locally from sliver ones at two dealers -- they both have spoilers, but, well, I guess I can't have it ALL my way. And maybe I can get my clutch-adverse spouse some lessons. ;) HPH

Not to sound like a vimy, but the whole package makes the car out accel, brake and handle the gt, while being a much better ride with even more luxury.

You are sounding like me. :D

That was my exact experience after driving the an 05 LGT.

Fact: My wife could drive the 06 just fine the first time she sat in it and only having driven the stick on my 4 runner twice, she can't even get the car moving with the spec. So the clutches are very different.
I believe that the 06 5mt and the 07 6mt have different clutches. The 5mt has a dual mass clutch and the 6mt a single. 1st gear in the 5mt is geared higher than 1st in the 6mt.

So (and here's a reason, maybe, not to get a Spec-B), as I mentioned above, there are two silver ones nearby. I went to Dealer #1 today to look at theirs and got the "yada yada yada, only 80 of them imported this year, blah blah, no others in S. Florida, can't possibly discount anything, etc., etc." line. Furthermore, they had applied a $2,995 (!) undercoating treatment to the poor thing, which, with the options package and the spoiler, put the sticker price at about $38,350.

In person, this is sure a nice-looking car, I'll say that. I wonder what gimmicks the other dealer is going to lay on me. HPH

So (and here's a reason, maybe, not to get a Spec-B), as I mentioned above, there are two silver ones nearby. I went to Dealer #1 today to look at theirs and got the "yada yada yada, only 80 of them imported this year, blah blah, no others in S. Florida, can't possibly discount anything, etc., etc." line. Furthermore, they had applied a $2,995 (!) undercoating treatment to the poor thing, which, with the options package and the spoiler, put the sticker price at about $38,350.

38K for a Legacy, those guys have been hitting the pipe. :lol:

For 38K you can buy an Infiniti G35S. You don't need AWD in Florida. At least that's what I would do without giving it a second thought.

With reference to my previous comments in Post #38 of this thread:

Well, Dealer #2 was quite the opposite of Dealer #1. No BS sales pitches, no stupid add-ons to the car (beyond the spoiler and one of the normal accessory packages, but they seem to be popular), they offered it to me at invoice, they gave me a surprising allowance for the car I traded in, and they gave me a great deal on a bunch of parts I want installed (which are on order for a week or so).

It just goes to show that shopping around is worth the effort -- the ability to do that, I guess, is one nice thing about living in a well-populated area instead of out in the middle of nowhere.

So now I get to drive carefully for a while to break the thing in -- because I'm used to taking advantage of an 8K RPM red-line, keeping this under 4K is quite an effort.

Still, these are nice cars. HPH

Archived