LegacyGT.com

Regarding pricing for 08 Spec B

Hey Guys, I am a new member and currently in the market for a 08 Spec B

I live in California and I was hoping to get some information so that I don't get taken for a ride by the dealers . :)

I have gotten a few quotes for a some spec B's and was wondering whether you guys had gotten better deals on your buys or whether I should expect lower pricing.

2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B AWD Sedan

1) Spec B Pkg

2) Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink

3) Security System Upgrade

4) Short Throw Shifter 6MT

5) Rear Deck Spoiler

6) Splash Guards

7) Plus Free Oil Changes/Tire Rotation

for as long as you own it

$33,355.00

or

2008 Legacy Spec B

Spoiler, splash guards, auto-dimming mirror with compass and homelink, armrest extension, and secuity system upgrade.

$32,924

Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Spec b's retail for about 34K and the invoice is around 32K, I have seen them for as low as 30500 with none of the extra options. Figure 300 for the mirror/shock sensor, 500 for the short shifter, 300 for the spoiler, and 150 for the splash guards and that comes to just under 32K. I would offer the first dealer 32,600 and go for that since it is worth the oil change and rotation for the lifetime of the vehicle (figure $250 a year for oil changes and $50 for rotations). That is of course unless you have a well enough equipped garage to do those things yourself.

The short throw shifter is suppose to be not too great. Also are you sure you want the spoiler? I opted out of that. I was one of the first to have an 08 and I payed 32K OTD. I suspect at this point with the 09's coming you can get a better deal. The 09 has more color options and a Harman\Kardon speaker system.

Thanks for the advice guys !

Gotten the first dealer down to $32485 and the second one to $31995. Going in for test drives next week. Maybe I can get them to drop the price a little more if I say I don't want the spoiler. Honestly though I don't know whether I mind it or not. Any reason not to get it?

Also are there any options you guys consider must haves? Is there an extended warranty program?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be the first car I buy brand spanking new from a dealer. Don't want to get jipped. :) lol

I would recommend bidding the two dealers against each other. Tell the first one that the other dealer is offering a comparably equipped spec b for 500 less and ask if he can match or beat the price. Then, once you get his revised price, tell the second dealer that the first one beat his price and ask what he can do to sweeten the deal. I did this when shopping for my mortgage and wound up lowering my rate by .25%

You're pretty much stuck with the spoiler since the mounting holes in your trunk have been drilled already.

I haven't actually sat in a Legacy yet but I've heard good things here about the Dome Light, Short Throw Shifter, and Armrest Extension. The Shock Sensor appears to be a waste. The Auto-Dimming mirror w/ Homelink seems to be a no-brainer.

One thing I want to do when ordering my car later this year is order extra factory mats for the front seats; I just cleaned up my old miata's mats but if I'm going to sell it to private-party it would have been cool to put in fresh "factory stock" mats.

I assume the more expensive quote has more options? At any rate, you can look at the VIN to get a rough idea of the "freshness" of the car.

The Spec.B near me has been on the lot since December at least, and has a VIN of 208935 (the leading 2 is the chassis code, so this was the 8935th car built this MY).

The recent sales stop says that Subaru was on VIN #X22958 as of 2008/02/04.

Not sure where you are with your negotiations, but I wouldn't lie to the dealer(s) about other offers, I'd just pick a walk-away price and offer that.

AWD season is over, Subaru's just got a massive black eye with this engine problem, the 09s are coming out in a couple of months, manual-tranny cars are hard to sell anyway, so you've got a lot of bargaining power should you use it. $30,000 + the retail cost of options would be my take-it-or-leave it bid on an 08 Spec.B.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived