LegacyGT.com

Removable GPS cubby mount

ryobi1

right, sorry I meant the screws holidng the vents and the cubby to the trim bezel. The bezel and assembly pop out. The more you do it the easier it gets. Be careful the first time or you'll break the tabs that hold the pocket to the bezel. (been there.. it aint purdy.)

I fixed the $10 suction mount that I bought on ebay using adhesive that my parents had laying around during christmas. It works fine but wont fit the cubby. I received my plexi base thing from ryobi yesterday but havent had a chance to do anything with it. I'll probably buy that iphone cradle that you linked to.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Arkon GPS mount needed for some units is unavailable from newegg and is much more expensive from the manufacturer if even possible to order from them. Any suggestions? Where did everyone get theirs?

I found that too...so I have order from a Canadian group via Ebay and for all you lucky US customers...the exchange is 20cent on the dollar in your favour.

Here is the ebay http address: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Garmin-Nuvi-&-StreetPilot-Windshield-Mount--Arkon-GN115_W0QQitemZ130279222804QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090104?IMSfp=TL0901041210001r3723

The Arkon GPS mount needed for some units is unavailable from newegg and is much more expensive from the manufacturer if even possible to order from them. Any suggestions? Where did everyone get theirs?

What Arkon mount are you looking for? The GN115 is available from many online vendors.

My parents are giving me the same Garmin for Christmas...and will order mine after Christmas...so I am checking the orginal Garmin mount that comes with the Garmin 265WT won't work and you would recommend the getting the Arkon at the same time?

Sorry for the late response. Yes the mount that comes with the Garmin 265WT won't work in the cubby. You'll need the Arkon GN115 to mount to the cubby mount plate from ryobi.

I have an oddball cubby in my car, so Ryobi cut me a custom cubby mount. The back pins needed to be 2 mm futher apart as the holes appear to be out of spec. I got it yesterday and it fits perfectly, but haven't attached the nav unit yet with the suction cup mount.

My father in law got us a friction mount for the Garmin 660 for Christmas which we've used in my wife's Tribute, but I'll try this and see how it works when I get home. I still think I'd prefer the cubby mount as the nav unit is closer to me and I won't have to reach forward to touch it while driving, as I did when it was mounted on the windshield.

I really appreciate Ryobi's help with this. He went above and beyond what was expected.

I havent even tried my device yet, but it looks to be very well made and of high quality.

+1 for ryobi. We should probably all use the itrader. (I should practice what I preach)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Sorry for the late response. Yes the mount that comes with the Garmin 265WT won't work in the cubby. You'll need the Arkon GN115 to mount to the cubby mount plate from ryobi.

No problem, Ryan's mount came last Friday and I ran into the same problem that another fellow did with the GN115 not being in stock at the Canadian Newegg site. I ended up paying 6$ more at another Canadian Site on Ebay which had the GN115 here in a day (quite impressive). It is now in and I am very impressed and it looks cool too! Very Innovative Ryan and my hat is off to you.

For those who are mechanically challenged as I am, I have some further instructions, aside from taking off the paper.

1) remove the rubber mat from the Cubby--you might break one of the back tabs which will require you to Crazy Glue or order a second from Ryan

2) Loosen the arm adjustment thumb wheel on the GN115 and attach the Gn115 mount to the plastic as per Ryan's picture BEFORE you attempt to slip Ryan's mount in the cubby (see below)---the suction lever is too high to get in the cubby after the fact. (Are you beginning to see how mechanically challenged I am)

3) Press the Garmin Cradle on to the Arkon Mount ---it is tight.

4) Attach the GPS to cradle and turn on and then admire how good it looks and the brilliance of Ryan's work.

5) Send Ryan a picture for his website....which I will do but it was 20 degrees below zero today.

I am saying all of this for, as mechanically challenged I am, I have to admire those who are mechanically inventive and help my world to be better place....to that end I sent Ryan's website to my Service Manager because I am sure there are many more Legacy owners out there trying to solve the dilemma of where to put their GPS's and Iphones and the first person they ask is their service manager.

Thanks again..Change Agent from Montreal.

2053160523_Gpscubbymount2.jpg.08f2e481dddd7a62bd66e33b92a6ff2d.jpg

:munch: I need to stop being so lazy and buy that iphone mount. I'm using a vent mount now and it suugz.. the fact that its on the passenger vent doesn't help either. My darn charger cable is too short! I need another one of those too. :(

Has anyone tried using the device (the plastic piece that replaces

the rubber mat) with a mount for a Sirius Stratus 4 radio (does the

arm on the Sirius mount have enough "throw" to stick out from the

cubby enough to be able to mount the radio easily ?

Ryan, has a picture on his customer page:

http://www.subarucubbymount.com/customer-pictures.html

hi, sorry for late reply, but as promised here its my install of tomtom 930 traffic in Subaru Legacy 2008. If you look closely on last picture I highlighted with red circle the traffic receiver as well. I hope you like it and if you have any question, let me know...

IMG_0021.jpg.edd0160a5c678c14a520363446f3c9ca.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg.b89e79346b815798daca967b26dd5867.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg.ed8bb0434a695c58de7c6476b13286cf.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg.18c0ac3220f790952c0c3f86846d5925.jpg

looks good. Got any pics of how you routed the wires? I have still been too lazyto use my mount heh, but i'm growing tired of wires hanging around everywhere in my car. Iphone+charger+audio cable+ radar detector power=cant reach the radio lol.

Yes exactly alternative mount kit, because the original its too short. Btw the wires, not sure how and where its connected, I asked in Subaru service to do it. I only prepare a hole in the cubby place and they did the conection for me. Then I have add the cable for the traffic receiver and hide it behind the whole cubby except the small end that you can see on the last pics

So I have been thinking of a new design for a while now. I finally got my new Garmin nuvi 760 and the ARKON mount. I played around with it an this is what i came up with.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/13494img_1318__small_-med.jpg

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/13494img_1323__small_-med.jpg

Here is a link to my site with more pictures. http://www.cubbymounts.com/2005-2009.html

Let me know what you think.

you know I was thinking about this exact thing earlier.. if there was a way to make this plate longer than the floor of the cubby so that it can still hold something.. but it may not necessarily be short enough to fit IN the cubby.

I like your new design. I think this will expand the market of products that will be available for use with this.

Do you know what the max resistance is on the tabs? as you move outward obviously you increase the stress load on those tabs in the rear and risk breaking them yes?

Archived