LegacyGT.com

Removable GPS cubby mount

ryobi1

I have an 08 Legacy and i just recently put in the mount. the mount will not slide all the way in. there is approximately 1cm gap for the pegs to be flush inside the cubby. Is it safe to drill holes in the further back holes to put the pegs further into? I don't really know what exactly is behind the cubby that might break if i drilled holes... Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see, you set it up differently. What I did was basically just used the front cigarette lighter but instead of the cable dangling in front of the dashboard, I routed it through the cubby and pulled it out on from the bottom of the passenger side center console, where the side plastic meets the carpet area. Usually when the thing doesn't have to charge I just very easily tuck the cable in and under the seat. Can't tell it's there. Out of sight and clean set-up.

How did you route the cable through the cubby? Did you have to pull the dash apart? I don't see any holes in the cubby where I can route the wires.

• 4 weeks later...
If anyone is interested, the Verizon Droid windshield mount will NOT fit in the cubby hole. However, it has a 17mm ball end that the phone adapter plate attaches to. The OP offers a Garmin suction cup that fits in the cubby with a 17MM ball end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow very clean set ups. Im in the market for a new gps unit and would like to utilize your mounting solution. Just curious what the largest gps system is that I can fit. I dont mind if it covers the clock, I'd just like it to fill as much of the void as possible. Thanks.

If it's falling outside of the cubby (like most of these do) then you can go all the way up to 7". That will perfectly cover the entire cubby area (including the clock) and should just barely cover the vent area.

I've been lurking around legacygt for a while and got my idea for navi setup done couple of days ago. Navi unit is Garmin 3700 series.

Basically took the entire unit apart, cut necessary holes and wrapped the leftovers with carbon fabric.

Update:

Did it all over, made the cubby door longer to hide navi completely, also covered vent's again with resin. Second thing changed was clock relocation bracket.

http://siim.ignis.ee/auto/16.jpg

http://siim.ignis.ee/auto/18.jpg

I really like the fact that you modified it in a way such that you can close the cubby door. I think I'm going to see if that's possible when I do my 5" GPS.

I think lots of people who are browsing would appreciate the step by step documentation, so definitely post it if you don't mind.

Job well done!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived