LegacyGT.com

Removable GPS cubby mount

ryobi1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:orly: Bestbuy I assume?

I made one similiar to the one on the first page using the original windshild mount suctioned to the insert. I also made a plate to go in GPS itself to cover the holes in the cubby area that are now exposed. I would like to get it to drop about 1/2 an inch lower... and then re do that cover. Doesn't look awesome, but does get the GPS off the winshield, and partially out of view.

I made this a few years ago - it simply fits snugly into the cubby & still allows cubby use (for your wallet or whatever):

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_IPF900/Navman_mount_freestanding.sized.jpg

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_IPF900/Navman_mount_side.sized.jpg

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_2-5i-B_%40_115k/DSC_2247.sized.jpg

You obviously need to pull the mount apart to fit the GPS holder to the new mount but in my case nothing needed to be broken apart.

In the third picture you can see I've added another (hidden) cigarette lighter attachment down behind the centre console.

• 3 months later...

Here is a picture of my revised design in black. The improvements that I made make it fit a little better. Let me know if you what one. I am thinking $12 + 3 shipping, as it is black and a little thicker material.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/13494img_0981-med.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I have sold quote a few of these, and I am trying to make a list of the GPS models that will work. If all of the people that have bought from me could send me an email to subarucubbymount@gmail.com, it would really help me complete my list.

Please give me the model and mount that you used. Also, if you are willing to send pictures, I will port those as well.

Thanks ahead of time

I'm still chewing on getting one of these and fabbing something up to hold my cellphone. It has google maps and can TECHNICALLY be rigged for gps.. or so I hear..
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I purchased mine from ryobi1 about a month ago and actually COMPLETELY forgot to write a review :( Sorry :)

The mount works great, it's got the surface "adherence" equivalent of your windshield if not better. The suction cup will stick like there is no tomorrow. The plastic piece is actually covered by paper protection on both sides so you'll get it in pristine condition. Personally I only removed the paper cover on one side and left the bottom one in place as to not scratch it up. The cut-out is top-notch and fits like a glove.

I do have one tiny complaint, but I don't think there is much ryobi can do about it. The thickness of the plastic is too thin for the holes that accomodate the notches in the stock cubby bottom rubber thingie. It's about half-size height-wise. Due to this, there is some play which makes it so that when you go over bumps the plastic mount allows some up-down movement and in turn the GPS will rattle. What I plan on doing is wrapping some electrical tape around the notches to thicken them up and make the piece hold in place solid as if it were bolted down.

I also ended up removing my cubby door because that way I can have the GPS further in rather than sticking out a fair amount. Aside from the spaces around it, it looks like it's integrated to the car, which should be a good deterrent for thieves.

Here is a picture of my revised design in black. The improvements that I made make it fit a little better. Let me know if you what one. I am thinking $12 + 3 shipping, as it is black and a little thicker material.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/13494img_0981-med.jpg

that is slick...... :cool:

I may just have to get one from you. Not for my GPS, but my Drive & Play screen. I modified my display so it fits inside the cubby, no modification to the cubby at all. (from the front it looks fine, when i take it out... not so clean) I may have to grab one to mount he D&P display to this.

black ones still available?

Yes, I just ordered one last week and he shipped it yesterday. I'll write a review on how it works out after I receive it. I'm installing a cig light receptical in the back of the cubby so the GPS cord can coil up in the cubby for a cleaner appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick review.

Thanks for making this Ryobi -this is a great product at a very fair price.

I ordered from the website and paid via paypal with a cc. The item shipped quickly via US mail.

The fit is perfect.

I do not have the problem fishbone stated about it rattling. As fishbone stated it comes covered with paper and I too just removed the paper from the mounting side. It's very smoth plastic and the windshield mount I used sticks incredibly well.

I mounted a Garmin 265WT using the mentioned Arkon GN115 mount. I can lift the entire plate with mount attached out of the cubby and store it in my console. Although I usually just remove the GPS from the mount by unsnapping it from the ball mount and leave the mount and plate in the cubby.

I also installed a flush mounted Cig lighter receptacle in the back of the cubby so I can coil up the power cord in the cubby around the mount. This way I don't have a wire hanging down over the dash. Installing the lighter receptacle required some cutting of the plastic mount behind the cubby but the plastic I cut isn't needed for anything. The plastic that I cut away is only used for mounting/ attaching the factory Nav in cars that have it.

if I get an iphone in the near future I may get one of these. My ipod acts like its trying to die and my wm5 phone just gave me some kind of cab load error.. plus I want a cheaper service fee. :lol:
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I routed the cable behind it all as well but I didn't have to cut anything.

Agreed -If you just route just the cable you shouldn't have to cut anything.

I installed a cig lighter receptical in the cubby because I use this GPS in another car and the cable I have contains the FM reciver for the traffic portion of the GPS. At first I thought I'd hardwire in the cable and just get a 2nd cable to use in the 2nd car. I priced a cable and the cost is over $100 so I installed the receptical instead. I also could have just gotten a non-FM cable but then I wouldn't get the FM traffic reports on the GPS. So far the traffic reports have been very accurate.

I see, you set it up differently. What I did was basically just used the front cigarette lighter but instead of the cable dangling in front of the dashboard, I routed it through the cubby and pulled it out on from the bottom of the passenger side center console, where the side plastic meets the carpet area. Usually when the thing doesn't have to charge I just very easily tuck the cable in and under the seat. Can't tell it's there. Out of sight and clean set-up.

Hi Mikesae, I just got cubby mount and I have also the tomtom 930. Mount it and is perfect, I will post some pics in next days, as soon as I have camera during the day ready..

Btw hello to everyone, I'm a new on the forum, or at least new registered.

Archived