LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

Name: unimportant...

Make: 05 Legacy GT LTD

Mileage: 63,XXX

Time Out Of Use: in the process

Problem And Likely Cause: Shaft bearing failure

Modifications: absolutely zero

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): SOA says they will only cover parts, not labor.

Your Story: On a Friday, the wife leaves for work and gets the dreaded instrument cluster lightup. She pulls over (just around the block from the house) and calls me saying the indicator lights are on. I ask if she sees, smells or hears anything unusual? She replies no to all three. I say drive down the block and see if the lights go out (1/8th mile). They are still on, so I tell her to go home (kids are in the car with her). I go home and have the car flatbed towed to the dealership. Monday (today) I have to call them :mad: and they say its the Turbo.

Still mad...:mad:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:mad:

Name: unimportant...

Make: 05 Legacy GT LTD

Mileage: 63,XXX

Time Out Of Use: in the process

Problem And Likely Cause: Shaft bearing failure

Modifications: absolutely zero

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): SOA says they will only cover parts, not labor.

Your Story: On a Friday, the wife leaves for work and gets the dreaded instrument cluster lightup. She pulls over (just around the block from the house) and calls me saying the indicator lights are on. I ask if she sees, smells or hears anything unusual? She replies no to all three. I say drive down the block and see if the lights go out (1/8th mile). They are still on, so I tell her to go home (kids are in the car with her). I go home and have the car flatbed towed to the dealership. Monday (today) I have to call them :mad: and they say its the Turbo.

Still mad...:mad:

http://topherlytle.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/man-pulling-hair-out-21.jpg

This is totally how I feel about Subaru and the legacy right now.

The car is still at the dealership and get this, two turbos have been

installed since the original grenaded, and both of them self destructed in

the same manner as the original as the car was backed out of the bay.

Odds are SOA is using remanufactured/rebuilt crap parts to replace these.

I'm working on finding out for sure but I demanded the dealership install

new parts, no remanufactured crap...NO SUBSTITUTES!!

This is totally how I feel about Subaru and the legacy right now.

The car is still at the dealership and get this, two turbos have been

installed since the original grenaded, and both of them self destructed in

the same manner as the original as the car was backed out of the bay.

Odds are SOA is using remanufactured/rebuilt crap parts to replace these.

I'm working on finding out for sure but I demanded the dealership install

new parts, no remanufactured crap...NO SUBSTITUTES!!

You realize at 63k you're out of warranty and lucky to get anything from them right? (If I'm wrong, sorry, and read below)

Oh and OP, one letter from a lawyer can open doors and wallets (and is cheaper than a new turbo, esp if the dealers doing the labor)

Well strangely enough, SOA jumped right on board and said that they would warranty the turbo no questions asked (not the labor though :rolleyes:). I thought that was wierd until I started researching the whole issue with these turbo's.

Initially I thought it kind of silly that so many tuner minded people wanted to swap their turbos when they could just reflash the ECU, upgrade intake and exhaust systems, so on and so fourth, to get STI level power numbers. I had read that a number of folks were blowing their turbos and figured it was bad tuning. the story goes on...

Now I wonder how many of those could have been attributed to oil starvation or just a poor choice in impellar bearings by IHI.

Well strangely enough, SOA jumped right on board and said that they would warranty the turbo no questions asked (not the labor though :rolleyes:). I thought that was wierd until I started researching the whole issue with these turbo's.

Initially I thought it kind of silly that so many tuner minded people wanted to swap their turbos when they could just reflash the ECU, upgrade intake and exhaust systems, so on and so fourth, to get STI level power numbers. I had read that a number of folks were blowing their turbos and figured it was bad tuning. the story goes on...

Now I wonder how many of those could have been attributed to oil starvation or just a poor choice in impellar bearings by IHI.

Its still a good faith effort when really they could just leave you high and dry (my last car was a VW, I know all about this. Cats [$1200 per side] fail at 80,002 mi? No warranty)

And FWIW if it's either oil starvation or bearing it is still a flaw, either in OCI and oil recommendations (7500mi on dino in a turbo car, really?) or component selection

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name: Chris

Make: 2007 Legacy GT

Mileage: 37000

Time Out Of Use: so far 9 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbo failure

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Lack of service records

Your Story: Wife's car. I do the oil changes. Have whole history written down. It started whining on the way home from vacation. Drove it 10 mi. til off Interstate, then another 10 to home. It was dark and raining, no indicators going off, just 0 power. I knew what it was.

Got in garage, black smoke pouring from under hood. Called dealer and had it towed. First question on phone, "bring service records". I brought my list of changes but I don't have receipts for filters or oil. Subaru said they'ed pay 50%. I said, not good enough, now they aren't paying anything.

Going to take my first try at small claims court.

Name: Chris

Make: 2007 Legacy GT

Mileage: 37000

Time Out Of Use: so far 9 days

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Lack of service records

Your Story: Wife's car. I do the oil changes. Have whole history written down. It started whining on the way home from vacation. Drove it 10 mi. til off Interstate, then another 10 to home. It was dark and raining, no indicators going off, just 0 power. I knew what it was.

Got in garage, black smoke pouring from under hood. Called dealer and had it towed. First question on phone, "bring service records". I brought my list of changes but I don't have receipts for filters or oil. Subaru said they'ed pay 50%. I said, not good enough, now they aren't paying anything.

Going to take my first try at small claims court.

Good luck. If there is a lack of maintenance records and you fail to provide this to them, then you may not have a leg to stand on.

ALWAYS ALWAYS photocopy your receipts with the mileage and date on them and staple to the oil filter box top and SAVE IT!

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

fyi, when my turbo went, i replaced it with a used stock turbo (also new gaskets, oil, antifreeze) for a little less than $300 and about 8 hours of my time. i didn't even bother with the small claims or dealing with subaru since i was at 62xxx when it happened and i knew i wasn't going to be able to find all of my oil change receipts.

Had a thought and went digging through cred card bills today. Found one for $85 at Napa store. Went there and gave them date and amount, they pulled the receipt right up. 4 (count'em you SOA f__r's) filters purchased 12/07. Guess how many changes my log shows from 12/07 thru 6/08, that's right, four!!!

faxed them over to dealership. He sent them on to SOA. Let's see what happens.

The "free" oil changes for life - how often?

Krzys

they said anything excessive they wont do, however if i wanted to get my oil changed at 5000kms instead of 6000kms they said no problem. so I drive 30,000 kms this year (which im on track to do), they will freely change my oil 6 times, including filter, stock oil, as well as general car inspection and fluid top ups.

and if i bring my own synthetic, they will change it for me free

74k...kerboom

Car is at the dealer now. Originally the service guy said it was covered under warranty but then they realized I was at 74k. They're quoting me right at $2k. Independent guy=$1500

Bummer is I JUST bought out the lease about 3-4 weeks ago... doh.

Used turbo: $250-300.

2-3 hour labor: free with some friendly help.

+1 and subscribe for just turning 60K (crosses fingers)

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Hey Bill, how did this all pan out in the end for you??

Name: Bill Vellucci, case#1089048

Make: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Mileage: 58,000

Time Out Of Use: as of 3/5/2008, 29 days without repair

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbo failure resulting from broken turbine shaft. Dealer and SOA claim lack of oil, i say its an oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head thats caused a lack of pressure to lubricated parts

Modifications: Bone Stock

Was it Approved For Warranty Repair: Denied

Your Story: On the 15th of February the turbo in my car (05 LGT w/58,000miles) failed resulting from a broken turbine shaft. The next day I took my car to a Subaru dealership where they discovered that the car was running on 2 quarts of what they claim to be very unclean oil (no viscosity test was or will be preformed).

The oil in my car was checked and at a normal level prior to the road trip (about 250 miles) home, which is when the turbo failed. Additionally, I use full synthetic oil and preformed the last oil change myself about 3,200 miles ago. Subaru states that the oil in a 05 LGT should be every 3,750 miles under severe driving conditions and 5,000 – 6,000 miles otherwise.

In order to fully diagnosis the problem with the blown turbo the dealership asked that I allow them to tear the turbo apart and conclude the exact problem that lead to the blown turbo. After allowing Subaru to do said work, they discovered the busted Turbine shaft. They then concluded that since this is a lubricated part the break was due a lack of oil pressure in the turbo resulting in lower lubrication for the turbine shaft.

At no time during the drive home, when the turbo failed, did a check engine light or oil pressure warning light display on the dash. The oil pressure warning light comes on when there is an indication that the engine oil pressure is low and the lubricating system is not working properly. Additionally, my temperature gauge was reading a normal temperature output.

The turbo on my car is covered up to 60,000 miles by the powertrain warranty. Subaru also states on page 47 of the Warranty and Maintenance Book under Owner’s Warranty Responsibilities section that “Subaru of America, Inc. cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance”. Yet, Subaru has continued to cite neglect for only being able to provide them with a credit card statement with an amount, not itemized, purchase at Auto Zone for the oil used in my car.

Based under the assumption of neglect (a bogus and hurtful claim to a proud Subaru owner) Subaru is only offering to cover the parts of the repair and not the labor involved. Page 9 of the warranty and maintenance book states that a new or remanufactured part will be replaced without charge to the owner for labor or materials under covered warranty items, such as Turbo which is covered under the powertrain warranty.

After refusing to accept the “deal” (their word, not mine) Subaru has now decided that further inspection should be done to my car. This means that they wish to remove and inspect the valve cover and oil pan for further damage. No mention of this inspection was ever made prior to my refusal of their “deal”. They have offered to cover the labor cost involved for this inspection.

That is where I am as of 3/5/2008

Now in good faith I should believe that Subaru of America and the dealership are not trying to find or conjure evidence of neglect and/or poor maintenance of my car. However, why would they suggest that further inspection be done to the engine only AFTER I refuse to cover the labor for the repair? Shouldn’t this have been suggested BEFORE they asked they offered me their “deal”, and AFTER the tear down of the turbo was completed? I must admit that I do have a suspicion of foul play.

Furthermore, it was also only upon independent research that I found literature supporting that a loss of oil can occur when a turbine shaft breaks. This oil will then end up in the Intercooler or the downpipe and Upipe. Additionally, Subaru turbocharged engines suffer from a starvation of oil, which results in a turbocharger failure, due to a oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head. More information on this can be found at http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil or you can reference supporting Subaru documentation with bulletin number 02-103-07 which was released on 10/19/2007. I believe this to be the manufactured defect that lead to a mechanical failure in the turbo.

I have at this point not authorized Subaru to inspect the valve cover and oil pan. Instead I am investigating the matter further to see how many Subaru customers have experienced the same thing I have.

Name: John

Make: 2005 Legacy GT

Mileage: 58300

Time Out Of Use: 8 weeks total, 2 when problem tracked back to turbo

Modifications: K&N Typhoon

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): covered under powertrain warranty.

i'm worried, this seems like a common failure with these cars, i dont have the money to be fixing this stuff. ahhhhhhhhhhh

Well now that you know about it take it in and have them clean those damn banjo bolt screens. There was a service bulletin so the dealer should be aware of the problem. Mine blew before I got wind of it. :spin:

This article talks about removing the screen in the banjo bolt completely. Has anyone done this? Although this sreen is a pain in the ass, I assume it is there to protect the turbo from engine junk no?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Name: Andrew

Make: 2007 Legacy GT Limited

Mileage: 30100

Time Out Of Use: 0 so far...?

Problem And Likely Cause: CEL Due to P0021 Camshaft Sensor

Modifications: N/A

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable):

Your Story: CEL came on one night and the car really started to stutter. I pulled the code and saw that it was a cam sensor. I thought it would be no big deal and just needed to be replaced. I brought it to the dealership and they told me that it was actually turbo related and they are going to replace the turbo. They wanted to see all my service records. Since I just bought the car, I have none. I was pretty pissed that they weren't going to work on my car so I talked with the service manager. This is my second turbo subie and i love them. I don't want to take any crap when these are the only cars i've owned. The service manager called back later and as a one-time good will repair, they are going to replace the turbo, all components, the cam sensors, and they are even going to make the TPMS light go off since i never programmed my sensors on my rims.

Let's see how this all pans out....

Name: brad21

Make: 05 LGT

Mileage: 74,xxx

Time Out Of Use: 30 days now

Problem And Likely Cause: blown turbo, banjo bolt screen is suspect

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Denied for lack of service records

Your Story: No warning light, no cel, no nothing, turbo just goes and leaves me and the family stranded in the desert. I WAS a happy and loyal Subaru owner. For Sale.

Archived