LegacyGT.com

Speed Racer's Mach 5 car .....it is real?

Has anyone else read the April 2008 R&T article? I really can't decide if its one big joke (fake) or a real review of a truly out-of-this-world car.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6466

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/Mach5.jpg

The article says that Warner Bros. studio wanted a "real" version of the Mach 5 capable of replicating most all the performance of the cartoon version driven by you-know-who. It claims that the studio hired a man named "Hobart" (no last name) to build it.

Crazy specs - if true :confused:

Est. Price: $5,000,000

Engine: 8,0 L V-12 quad sequential turbos

HP: 1,700 bhp @ 8,000 rpm :eek:

Torque: 1,400 lb-ft @ 45,500 rpm

Curb Wt.: 2,455 lb

Tranny: 8-spd twin-clutch sequential (rear mounted like the new GT-R)

Performance "A" mode:

0-60 mph 2.7 seconds

1/4-mi 7.3 seconds

Performance "B" mode:

0-60 mph 0.6 seconds

1/4-mi. 2.6 seconds (faster than a top-fueled dragster)

Top-speed 305 mph

Skidpad: 6.0 g (can render most unconscience)

Slalom: 138.9 mph (exotic supercars barely touch 80 mph)

And the sidebar discussion of the prototype ADVAN Sports tires is even more unfathomable. The above performance numbers are achieved with only 245/40ZR-18 synthetic rubber tires. Supposedly with electro-magnetically variable grip using nontechnology with carbon/silica blended polymer. This produces "tire crampons" that provide better measured grip than warm Formula 1 tires.

Okay, if all doesn't sound absolutely fantasyland enough, it goes on to point out the car is equipped with functional, deployable (tree-cutting) buzz saws from the front end. And it does have a pneumatic 4-post leaping system that gets the car airborne by 20 ft. running up to 40 mph.

To put all this in (fictional?) context, it claims that the aerodynamics and performance of the car allows it to run a Daytona Speedway equivalent sized track in just over 33 sec. reaching 272 mph. Last year's Daytona winning NASCAR lapped Daytona in 48.3 sec.

Honestly, who else has read this article? I am intrigued but feel gullible enough to actually believe it could be true.

Idjits read the last paragraph on pg 2....

Special thanks to Warner Bros. Studios for supplying the car; Yokohama Tire Co. for their support arranging the photo shoot; Willow Run Airport for renting us a hangar, and Polyphony Digital Inc. for creating a virtual simulation of the Mach 5 that we used for our performance tests.

IE you'll prolly see this car in GT5

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/Mach5.jpg

Crazy specs - if true :confused:

Est. Price: $5,000,000

Engine: 8,0 L V-12 quad sequential turbos

HP: 1,700 bhp @ 8,000 rpm :eek:

Torque: 1,400 lb-ft @ 45,500 rpm

Curb Wt.: 2,455 lb

Tranny: 8-spd twin-clutch sequential (rear mounted like the new GT-R)

Performance "A" mode:

0-60 mph 2.7 seconds

1/4-mi 7.3 seconds

Performance "B" mode:

0-60 mph 0.6 seconds

1/4-mi. 2.6 seconds (faster than a top-fueled dragster)

Top-speed 305 mph

Skidpad: 6.0 g (can render most unconscience)

Slalom: 138.9 mph (exotic supercars barely touch 80 mph)

maybe it was virtual reality...but regarding the red words i highlighted, so...i've heard the veyron has 4 turbos, and now 4 TWIN tubos? however, that's not a real problem, 45,500rpm, so is that like two F1 engines put together or something to get such a high rpm....... and does it give you extra hp? cause at 8000 you already get 1700....

and 8spd sequential gearbox...i think Mercedes is now lacking behind cause they only have 7 :lol:

4 turbos in a car isnt anythign new, i have seen it in a couple cars. Now 0-60 in .6 seconds, lol no, also the mach 5 was a road course car not a drag car, it doesnt need 1700hp at a curb weight of 2400lbs. Did you ever notice that they always said the mach 5 was the fastest car on the show yet racer x would always catch him and help him, so in reality racer xs car was faster.

this is their annual april fools joke article....remember the review of the pedal cars a few years back? ;)

F*cking great article. And great peddle cars. A guy that built various old racer peddle cars like Bugatti replicas (works of art!) and they raced them around his yard?

But I'd buy this car if it came with a girlfriend named "Trixie" and a monkey. Don't know if I'd ever drive the car, though! :lol:

Archived