LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire CEL

Thinking about it, if the spark plug is indeed carbon fouled, then IMO it would go against having issues with the IM gasket; since the latter brings lean condition to the cylinder. While according to the manual a carbon fouled spark plug is due to a rich condition. :confused:

Speculations, oh speculations...:spin:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so, how many miles does cyl 4's plug have on it?

I bought the car with about 85k on it. I don't know what was done with the plugs up till now (94k) when I changed all four. It could be the plugs were replaced around 60k and whoever was doing it didn't want to deal with #4 because it's more difficult to get to. That's just speculation. Or maybe the plugs have never been changed till now. I can't say.

Wait. Your drove 5k miles without making sure your oil level was full at all time?

1 quart per OCI (3.75k miles) is common as I understand. That's what mine is doing.

No, I check my oil every few times I fill up my gas tank. I have added a little on occasion, but I don't usually get around to an oil change till about 5k (which I know I should do more often). When I changed my oil a couple weeks ago I hadn't added any since the last oil change and it was right at the lower dot.

When I changed my oil a couple weeks ago I hadn't added any since the last oil change and it was right at the lower dot.

So, that means you did not check and replenish your oil during your whole OCI. And as a result, you drove your car for a little while with only about 3 quarts of oil. Not starting an argument or anything, but just make sure your oil is full at all time.

FYI, between L and F on the dipstick you have to add about a quart of oil.

Not starting an argument or anything, but just make sure your oil is full at all time.

Thanks, no offense taken, I should be more vigilant. I have always understood the low mark on a dipstick to denote the low end of the safe operating range, but I should be more proactive.

In the meantime, my big problem is the misfire in #4. I just returned from the Napa Auto store that is apparently the receiving center for FredBeansParts.com (odd). Starting with a cold engine (it's about 30 F here today) I got a pending P0304 code on the way up there (but no CEL). I cleared it before heading back to work and scanned for codes when I got back with a warm engine and there were none.

I pray this problem happens to my cold motor because because the heat is expanding my IMGs, not my internal components. It's possible I did the carb cleaner test while the engine was still too warm from my last trip, so the IMG didn't have a change to contract. I'll change my gaskets tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Thanks, guys.

Be sure and let us know next week how the (o-rings) work out. I think that's the gaskets your talking about.

I'm sure you also know now, DO NOT let the oil get LOW, keep it full.

These cars are not like a old Ford pick-up truck. Not that I let my 86 F150 ever get down on oil either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The walkthrough I'm finding for the Intake Manifold Gaskets is here but it's for 07-09. There's not another one out there for the 05-06 right?

Also, Byron, you're advising not removing the whole manifold, right? Just lifting up the corners and replacing the gaskets? I have some dental picks so hopefully it's not too difficult. Of course the problem gasket (if there is one) is on the driver's side, which is hardest to get to.

Well, I forgot my sister's move was this weekend, so I didn't get to my intake manifold gaskets yet. I did do the carb cleaner test cold while my dad watched the tachometer and there wasn't any surge. I'll have to replace the gaskets this week or weekend.

Saturday the CEL came on, which hasn't happened for a week, even though the car was already warmed up. I pulled a P0304 and a P0302. So that's interesting.

but the residue was still dry and charcoalish, not oily.

That's exactly how mine is. This apparently is considered carbon fouled. But what I don't get is that the manual thinks such fouling is most likely due to weak ignition, dirty air filter, etc.., but neither ringland failure nor valves. :confused:

Don't know if you read my whole thread but looks like we are kinna in the same boat :(.

Well, my sympathies, friend. I have doubts about the intake manifold gaskets, since my recent couple of misfires have happened when the car was warm and the carb cleaner spray test didn't result in any surges. Let me know what you find on your compression test. Will you be able to do a leak down test yourself?

Well, my sympathies, friend. I have doubts about the intake manifold gaskets, since my recent couple of misfires have happened when the car was warm and the carb cleaner spray test didn't result in any surges. Let me know what you find on your compression test. Will you be able to do a leak down test yourself?

thanks. I am not sure if I'll be able to do a leak down test myself. I will see. Given what happened to my car 10000 miles ago (timing belt tensioner failed while driving), I should do one. For my engine, my current bet is on valves, not ringland failure. We'll see though.

Archived