LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire CEL

^thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I don't have time now to write much but I can at least mention that I have my car BACK! Feels so good. Engine is much quieter than before (quieter Subaru tick). I'll provide more feedback later after I've driven the car for a good 300 miles. But so far, so good :cool:.

In the end, I've basically had to change 8 valve lifters, refresh the heads and that's it! I can feel the power now. It's nice.

In the mean time, I've also changed my oil pick up tube and TOB with a TSK3 kit.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So my biggest complaint about the car (until I had to rebuild my engine for no good reason at 95,000 miles) has always been a lack of power at low RPMs when accelerating from a stop and the "lumpy" power curve. It always seemed to me that this was a car that was easy to drive hard and aggressively, but trying to accelerate slowly and drive smoothly in rush hour traffic, or with my boss or grandmother in the passenger seat, was challenging. This is partly due to the clutch action--it tends to grab all at once, but even when the clutch is fully let out, if I pressed the accelerator smoothly and slowly, the car would give a couple little mini surges in low gear as the engine moved through 2-3k RPM. This actually got a little worse when I installed the catless uppipe as the turbo came on at lower RPMs. In general, with the stock map, it seems that the turbo wants to come on all at once, which results in a spike in the power curve.

With Accessport, using the Stage 1 93 map, there is considerably more power and throttle responsiveness at low RPMs, and the power curve is much flatter. It's much easier to drive the car smoothly and you don't have as much of a sense of "now the turbo is off and now it is OOOOOOOOOON!" My wife definitely notices a difference, too. Before the tune, she almost refused to drive the car because it just wasn't pleasant to drive unless you were pushing it a little, and she tends not to do that.

The same results could probably be achieved through laptop tuning, but since I know nothing about tuning, the peace of mind Accessport brought to me was definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.

You are correct, a Tuner can even make it "more better".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

deltasierrahotel, I forgot to ask: have you been following some kind of engine break in procedure?

My mechanic told me to avoid boost as much as possible for the first 1,000 miles. He said he knew it was inevitable sometimes, especially on the highway, but just not to really wind it up. That was very hard to do, but I made it.

Beyond that, I've been driving normally (a little more aggressive than usual since getting Accessport).

My mechanic told me to avoid boost as much as possible for the first 1,000 miles. He said he knew it was inevitable sometimes, especially on the highway, but just not to really wind it up. That was very hard to do, but I made it.

Beyond that, I've been driving normally (a little more aggressive than usual since getting Accessport).

Crap. I've already been boostin :). Now that I think about it though, you've changed rings as well. I did not. So I hope I am OK.. 350 miles later so far so good. My engine is much quieter, I am surprised.

Have you been monitoring your MPG since you've been stage 1? I am really curious if your MPG has improved. Most people says so, but of course since you are tempted to push the car more, it may not appear so at first.

Yeah, I think the break in was just because of the new rings.

My MPGs have been significantly worse since getting Accessport, but I'm 90% sure this is attributable to my 0-60 runs :) I'm just having fun with these first few tanks, I'll be more conservative in the long run.

My MPGs have been significantly worse since getting Accessport, but I'm 90% sure this is attributable to my 0-60 runs :) I'm just having fun with these first few tanks, I'll be more conservative in the long run.

I thought you were supposed to avoid boost :hide:.

Keep us posted when you do a nice highway drive. I'd be interested to hear about the mileage you'll be getting.

I thought you were supposed to avoid boost :hide:.

Keep us posted when you do a nice highway drive. I'd be interested to hear about the mileage you'll be getting.

I did avoid boost for the first 1,000 miles as instructed. But after that I got Accessport and have been driving like a banshee, at least when I'm alone. My wife does not enjoy being a passenger when I explore the new limits of what my car can do :lol:

I probably won't have a pure highway tank till August, but I'll let you know how it goes. I also think I'll try economy mode on AP either on the way to or from upstate NY and see how big a difference that makes.

Archived