LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire CEL

My MAF had just a slight film on it, and cleaning it didn't do squat for making mine run better. It's something that should be done to help eliminate that as a contributing factor, but I wouldn't expect miraculous results especially if it's just one cylinder misfiring.

Yeah, I just picked up MAF Sensor Cleaner on my way home and pulled the sensor. I've never looked at it before so I'm not sure how it compares, but it wasn't visibly caked in grime or anything. It's drying now then I'll pop it back in, but I'm not expecting to notice a difference.

Here's another thing that I've noticed in the past few days but haven't brought up yet on this forum--my car has been hesitant to start several times in the past week. Usually this is after it sits all day at work or overnight, but it just took a couple attempts outside the auto parts store. The battery sounds like it's strongly cranking away, but it doesn't always start right away or even on the first try. That's a new thing in the past few days.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a gut feeling about a ringland, necessarily (except for Murphy's Law) but I do wonder what is causing this problem in the first place. It seems like there has to be a bottom line reason for the misfires outside of the tune. As Byron mentioned, the stock tune may cause burnt valves. But the tune itself won't just suddenly result in misfires when everything has run fine for 95,000 miles, right? I'm planning on getting some help with tuning, but I think we have the same, or maybe different, underlying issues here that need to be addressed.

Would you agree? Byron, would you agree? Could this really all just be fixed by a tune? I'd love it if that were true, but...

Mine did... Hit 90k and three days later it started.. I have all the concerns you have with no CEL.. and Im low on compression 80psi in cyl 3. I never did 2&4 so it could be bad over there too.. I had a bad coil connection on 3 that probably helped it along

Mine did... Hit 90k and three days later it started.. I have all the concerns you have with no CEL.. and Im low on compression 80psi in cyl 3. I never did 2&4 so it could be bad over there too.. I had a bad coil connection on 3 that probably helped it along

Are you getting it fixed as we speak or are you still driving it?

No never CEL light, not even after it stalls, or when its about to stall and I slap it into N to save.. Nothing.. No current codes, no pending codes, nothing.. Sometimes it runs like a raped ape, sometimes throttle response is slow, seems to get choppy over 5k.. I will say when I save it from stalling, it doesn't seem to respond to throttle right away.

nope never did.. Im looking at it like this, it has low compression, no matter what the cause the motor has to come out, might as well do it all at once, so I haven't botherd to narrow it down. Im just hoping to stop the stalling to prolong replacement since monies are tight. Don't exactly have 3500-4000$ laying around

Well, I never made it to Rallispec Tuesday. My car got significantly worse in just a few days, I could feel it missing, had a loss of power sometimes, and the CEL started coming on and flashing every other time I drove the car. So I stopped driving it and Rallispec was too far away.

Dave at Rallispec said he thinks I have either a burnt valve or cracked ringland when I told him my story over the phone, so I'm going ahead with the engine pull this weekend. Took today off of work and I'm renting a hoist tomorrow. Wish me luck!

How long did it take you to do it?

about 6 hours yesterday, but that included prepping my work space a bit (my buddy was kind enough to loan me his garage) and about the same today, with putting it on the truck and reattaching the hood, etc. Not the world record for sure, but I'm glad it's out. Getting it in will be a whole different challenge.

Check these guys out. They do it in a very impressive 1:49!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qyPal-akgI]Check these guys out, they do it in a very impressive 1:49[/ame]

Also, this was awesome--I stopped by my cousin's house to borrow his special tool for disconnecting the fuel lines and I mentioned to him I was thinking of installing a catless uppipe (MaxCapacity suggested this) and he happened to have one from a WRX sitting in his garage, even though he's never owned a Subaru! He has a whole blown motor in his garage that he uses for teaching and he gave me the uppipe, power steering pump and alternator. I think they all fit my motor, I know the uppipe does.

about 6 hours yesterday, but that included prepping my work space a bit (my buddy was kind enough to loan me his garage) and about the same today, with putting it on the truck and reattaching the hood, etc. Not the world record for sure, but I'm glad it's out. Getting it in will be a whole different challenge.

Getting it in is definitely a bit tricky, just make absolutely sure that the clutch is centered correctly when doing it.

And since you have the engine out it may be a good time to at least look at the clutch and check the wear. It would suck if you fixed the engine and then a month later realized that the clutch is bad.

453747.png

And since you have the engine out it may be a good time to at least look at the clutch and check the wear. It would suck if you fixed the engine and then a month later realized that the clutch is bad.

Unfortunately, I forked over $1,600 to somebody to do a clutch and replace an axel right before my 4th cylinder problems started. :icon_sad:

Archived