LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire CEL

^I will be doing an etune. You get a VAGCOM cable for like 15-25 bucks and the tune costs around 150 bucks. You could save a bit if you were to go that route. I am still a noob at this tuning business but I'll get the hang of it pretty quick I believe. All the info on how to go about it can be found in the tuning section of the forum.

Yeah, tuning makes me a little nervous--I know nothing about it and I'm not really looking to take that aspect on as a hobby/DIY project. The guy who is working on the engine for me (friend of a family member) is a Subaru mechanic at a dealer. His recommendation was to spend the extra money on AP unless I wanted to start learning about tuning and incur a certain amount of risk having my car tuned by a relative unknown. Plus, it's so easy to just uninstall and go back to stock with AP, and so far, the unit itself seems to depreciate very little if I decide to use it for a couple years then sell it.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy who is working on the engine for me (friend of a family member) is a Subaru mechanic at a dealer.

^You're so lucky man. I have yet to find someone who knows Subaru engines really well. Subaru cars are really scarce over here. Sucks. I've seen like 5 Subarus total around here in almost a year!

I see your point regarding the AP, although etuning is really not that hard once you know how to do it. I'd say, if you were able to follow instructions on pulling an engine, you'd probably be able to do the etuning without any difficulty :hide:. But yeah, using the AP is definitely easier.

Subaru cars are really scarce over here. Sucks. I've seen like 5 Subarus total around here in almost a year!

Probably because gas or petrol or whatever they call it is about 1,000 Euro/Liter!

Did you ship your car over there?

And, yes, I am fortunate. This guy seems very knowledgeable and I'm inclined to take his advice on issues, especially if there is lack of consensus on the forum. He was right about the valve based on the compression test!

Probably because gas or petrol or whatever they call it is about 1,000 Euro/Liter!

:lol: Costs me like 130 bucks if my tank is completely empty. That's France. I was in Norway before for two years. 170+ over there. Luckily I use my bike to go to work/school.

Did you ship your car over there?

Yes I did.

Yeah, tuning makes me a little nervous--I know nothing about it and I'm not really looking to take that aspect on as a hobby/DIY project. The guy who is working on the engine for me (friend of a family member) is a Subaru mechanic at a dealer. His recommendation was to spend the extra money on AP unless I wanted to start learning about tuning and incur a certain amount of risk having my car tuned by a relative unknown. Plus, it's so easy to just uninstall and go back to stock with AP, and so far, the unit itself seems to depreciate very little if I decide to use it for a couple years then sell it.

Your only a few hours away form Mike at AZPinstalls.com contact him and see if you can meet up with him for a tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks.

MaxCapacity indicated here that maybe it isn't a problem in 05s, or at least some 05s.

"Mine is a early 05 so I don't think anyone has had a problem with the tube cracking with early 05's."

Is there a way to tell based on my VIN?

Open the drivers door. mine was made 05/04, May of 2004. I bought it new late June 04.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Gee the list,

ej257

gasket kit for your year car

timing belt kit

oil pump

make sure the gasket kit has all the pieces, hint, they may not. The 1/2 moons for the valve covers are missing.

I did coolant crossover tube for the oil cooler and it's 3 hoses.

heater and radiator hoses and coolant hoses around the throttle body.

oil return hose from turbo

Hint, the new radiator hoses need screw type clamps, oh bolt the turbo to the up pipe, it's much easier.

Find a great machine shop...priceless.

Find a great machine shop...priceless.

:(. That'll be the hard part cause I am not from here and there are hardly any Subarus around. I've tried to go on some local Subaru forums (they have a very small community over here).

And of course, I am in an area where there are hardly any members..And they like to ignore PMs, even the small shops that specialize in imprezas.. :mad:

make sure the gasket kit has all the pieces, hint, they may not. The 1/2 moons for the valve covers are missing.

I found this one: looks like the right one correct? part number: 10105AA720

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-GT-complete-engine-gasket-seal-kit-turbo-fits-2005-10105AA720-/280840627623?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416367e5a7&vxp=mtr

Can't view ebay from work, but I would caution you from buying this off ebay. This kit is very important, IMO it's not worth the risk of buy this off ebay and may be not getting the exact kit your VIN needs.

If you get it from the dealer at least you know your getting the current addition of the kit for your car.

I'm saying, you don't know if this ebay kit has the orange o-rings for the intake to TGV's or any other updates they have.

I was lucky to have CT08Spec.B hook me up with our local dealership parts guy's, they give my a good discount and helped me out with missing items from the gasket kit.

So I'm also saying, even the oem kit is not perfect.

Here's an update on mine--the pistons are in great shape. No ringland issues. So the problem was simply the valves. Unfortunately, the machine shop is backed up. They've had my heads for 8 days now but my mechanic says he doesn't think he'll get them back till later this week. :(

Here's an update on mine--the pistons are in great shape. No ringland issues. So the problem was simply the valves. Unfortunately, the machine shop is backed up. They've had my heads for 8 days now but my mechanic says he doesn't think he'll get them back till later this week. :(

good to hear about the pistons. So is he putting new rings then?

sorry that you'll have to wait longer than planned.

My car's 'surgery' will begin on the 18th..

good to hear about the pistons. So is he putting new rings then?

sorry that you'll have to wait longer than planned.

My car's 'surgery' will begin on the 18th..

Yes, I'll have new piston rings on all four cylinders.

Let me know how yours goes. It will be interesting to see if you've got the same issue.

How many miles does yours have again? Are you doing parts of the work yourself or did you find somewhere that can work on a Subaru?

How many miles does yours have again? Are you doing parts of the work yourself or did you find somewhere that can work on a Subaru?

Mine has 63k. I don't have a garage and not even a friend with one either. I would have liked to do as you did (take the engine out myself, and even take the heads off too).

I found a mechanic who will probably work on my car. There is apparently no pro Subaru mechanics where I currently live. This brand is indeed a rare breed around here. That sucks.

He will do the bare minimum to get the car back on the road.

I have a feeling my problem is like yours. We shall see though.

I've been lurking on this thread as I have had just about the exact same symptoms and problems with my '06 with 105K. I put a new clutch in the car at 102K a few months back. Everything was good except the starting issue that developed in December. Get in, turn the key and lots of cranking with no fire. That started first. I then took a long trip to Joliet, IL and on the way back at a rest stop got the no 4 cyl misfire that has reoccured every day at some point while idling on the way to/from work. I haven't done the leak down or compression test but have swapped injectors, coils, plugs. The weird thing about the hard start is that if I turn the key on and wait for a few seconds before starting, the car always fires as it once did. I am wondering if weak fuel pumps are suspect in this problem - possibly contributing to the valve issues.

Everything was good except the starting issue that developed in December. Get in, turn the key and lots of cranking with no fire. That started first. I then took a long trip to Joliet, IL and on the way back at a rest stop got the no 4 cyl misfire that has reoccured every day at some point while idling on the way to/from work...The weird thing about the hard start is that if I turn the key on and wait for a few seconds before starting, the car always fires as it once did. I am wondering if weak fuel pumps are suspect in this problem - possibly contributing to the valve issues.

I don't know that I detailed it as well as you did or even in this thread, but I have experienced a very similar issue. Strong cranking, so I doubt it's a battery or starter issue, but hesitant to start in the months before and during my CEL woes. I've given little thought to the starting issue because it never left me stranded and the misfire took over my attention, but I wonder if it could be related.

Thoughts from others?

I haven't done the leak down or compression test but have swapped injectors, coils, plugs.

^Well, if you have swapped injectors, coils, plugs, and the misfire has not moved, it may be time for a compression and leak down tests.

The weird thing about the hard start is that if I turn the key on and wait for a few seconds before starting, the car always fires as it once did. I am wondering if weak fuel pumps are suspect in this problem - possibly contributing to the valve issues.

It could also be the immobilizer system which may be a bit slower to 'recognize' your key. In any case, I have taken the habit to wait until my gauge sweep is done to start my car.

FYI, even though I am getting misfire on #4 and lower compression there too my car still starts fine. I no longer drive it though until I get it fixed. Man I miss the boost :mad:.

I've been lurking on this thread as I have had just about the exact same symptoms and problems with my '06 with 105K. I put a new clutch in the car at 102K a few months back. Everything was good except the starting issue that developed in December. Get in, turn the key and lots of cranking with no fire. That started first. I then took a long trip to Joliet, IL and on the way back at a rest stop got the no 4 cyl misfire that has reoccured every day at some point while idling on the way to/from work. I haven't done the leak down or compression test but have swapped injectors, coils, plugs. The weird thing about the hard start is that if I turn the key on and wait for a few seconds before starting, the car always fires as it once did. I am wondering if weak fuel pumps are suspect in this problem - possibly contributing to the valve issues.

The next check you should do is a fuel pressure, see what it reading when the key is truned to on, see what it's reading after the car sits for a while.

For what it's worth I texted my friend who's a Subaru mechanic at a dealer and here's his reply:

"No a weak fuel pump would not contribute or cause ur issue. That's not to say its not acting up. I would say ur pump is fine. A lot of factors could cause extended cranking. Cause ur issue resulted in weak cylinder pressure it would take more revolutions to get enough pressure to ignite ur fuel mixture, also the computer would have been putting in fuel for each revolution, causing a minor & temporary fouling of the cylinder which could have given a ruff start also. Thats the short & slightly inaccurate way to explain it, i can go into boring depths of explanation if u want. our pumps usually don't get weak, they just stop working, so I wouldn't worry about the pump."

Archived