LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire CEL

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for checking on that symptom, appreciate the feedback. I look forward to finding out how your rebuild affects the hard start problem we were sharing.

Unless the car is designed to always use #4 as the starting cylinder (meaning #4 always initiates the fire up during startup which i highly doubt) I have to assume it's coincidental that the misfire and hard start symptom appeared at relatively the same time. Regardless, it seems that a fuel mix issue would be the culprit for both cases.

Sorry for highjacking the thread for a bit there.

It could also be the immobilizer system which may be a bit slower to 'recognize' your key. In any case, I have taken the habit to wait until my gauge sweep is done to start my car.

I'll give this a shot. I never connected the gauge sweep with the immobilizer system, but I guess that makes sense. I thought it was just my car excited to see me again.

Wish me luck..

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm ready to be back on the road. My wife and I have been operating as a one car family for well over a month now. She likes it cause we get lots of "quality conversation time" in the car, plus she gets chauffeur service to and from the front door of her work. But the lack of flexibility when sharing a car sucks. Can't believe we operated with one car all the time until December '11 when I bought the LGT. This man needs to be able to come and go as he pleases!

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm ready to be back on the road. My wife and I have been operating as a one car family for well over a month now. She likes it cause we get lots of "quality conversation time" in the car, plus she gets chauffeur service to and from the front door of her work. But the lack of flexibility when sharing a car sucks. Can't believe we operated with one car all the time until December '11 when I bought the LGT. This man needs to be able to come and go as he pleases!

^:lol:

In my case, finishing Ph.D thesis, wife giving birth in about 3 weeks (or anytime really), and no car! Luckily, I ride my bike to work so no real big deal but it is getting annoying and stressful a bit. Anyways, nothing we can't handle :spin:.

What are you going to do when she needs to go to the hospital? You'll have to call a taxi and say, "To the hospital, si vous plait! My apologies if my wife delivers a baby in your back seat. Merci beaucoup."

Perhaps you've devised another plan for getting there. I don't know though, some of these academic types are not great at practical planning. :)

What's your field of study?

What are you going to do when she needs to go to the hospital? You'll have to call a taxi and say, "To the hospital, si vous plait! My apologies if my wife delivers a baby in your back seat. Merci beaucoup."

^:lol:

Perhaps you've devised another plan for getting there. I don't know though, some of these academic types are not great at practical planning. :)

^Well, debating between keeping the car until baby arrives, and getting it fixed after baby is born (since the car still runs albeit idles like crap). Or I'll get a friend to help us.

What's your field of study?

^ BS and MS in EE. Ph.D in spatial oceanography where we use radar data from polar orbiting satellites to infer wind speed and direction over the sea surface.

• 2 weeks later...
Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

Putting my engine back in!

:lol::spin::lol:

Awesome man. I am happy for you! Now take a deep breath and don't rush it. You must be so excited. Take lots of pictures dude.

My car has been in the garage since Monday. Teardown has hopefully begun. Getting a baby in about 2 weeks. Hopefully, the car will be back on the road by that time.

Dude I am really happy for you! Are you supposed to do any kind of 'engine break-in'?

Thanks, I'm really pleased. I had budgeted my whole weekend for it and, with help from my cousin and then my dad, we had it done in 10 hours, including a trip to Napa for a tap (I had some messed up threads in one hole), a short lunch break, and new front pads and rotors. It took me much longer to take things apart, but I guess it helped a lot being familiar with everything.

My mechanic (works at a Subaru dealer) said to avoid boost as much as possible for the first 1,000 miles :( and keep a close eye on the oil level because of the new piston rings. He said since he didn't do any bearing work, there's no need to make any changes to the oil change schedule, just go the normal 3,750 miles. I'm really anxious to wind it up, but it takes me a long time to drive that far. Once I get to 1,000 miles I'll probably be installing an AccessPort. I'm taking it to DC for a short getaway with the wife tomorrow, so that should put about 275 on it round trip.

What are your plans to avoid another burnt valve?

Well, I know that many on the forum will disagree, but he says he doesn't think there's any way to guarantee it won't happen again. He doesn't think tuning will eliminate the possibility. As I said, I'm planning on getting an AccessPort. There's lots of theories here. I'm just hoping I'll make it another 100k before I have a problem. That's about 10 years of driving for me, at least if I stay in the same job and live in the same general area.

Well, enjoy your getaway with your wife. You guys deserve it! Congratulations again.

Keep in mind that you can still go into boost even at low rpms by putting a heavier load on the engine (like climbing a hill at CC speed (say 55 mph), while staying in 5th). It may not hit max boost but it will go into boost. Maybe mention that to your friend and see what he says. He may say that kind of boost is OK.

xt2005bonbon, how goes it?

Well, my case is quite unusual I guess.. All valves are fine apparently :confused:. I saw them as well. None of the exhaust valves are burnt. They said however that they all needed some adjustment. So they're 'rebuilding' the heads and hopefully this week, everything will be put back together. Really weird..

As a side note, there is no scoring whatsoever on the cylinder walls either. They are not planning to pull the pistons to visually inspect them as he is positive there should not be any issues on that side.

I MAY still ask him to take off the flywheel and check piston #4 just in case to see if there are no cracks on the ringland.

I am taking this opportunity to change my TOB as it was on the verge of failing. He even noticed it. Swapping that out with a TSK3 kit. I am also changing the oil pick up tube with a Killerb.

So far, I've 'only' spent about 600 bucks for the TOB, KillerB tube, and the gasket kit. Rest should be labor and a couple exhaust gaskets for the turbo and such.

I personally checked the turbo for any shaft play and was happy to see that there was none. That was good news.

My wife is giving birth any day now. She wants the car back before it occurs soooo yeah :redface:.

How's your car 'doing'? How was your drive?

Hmm, odd. If I were you though, I would make sure I didn't have a ringland problem while I was in there. Sounds like maybe you better make some alternative arrangements for getting your wife to the hospital though...

My car is running well, thanks. I've driven about 325 miles since putting the engine in last weekend. Didn't end up going to DC because the weather was miserable, but I found some places to go during my days off. So far, so good.

Hmm, odd. If I were you though, I would make sure I didn't have a ringland problem while I was in there. Sounds like maybe you better make some alternative arrangements for getting your wife to the hospital though...

My car is running well, thanks. I've driven about 325 miles since putting the engine in last weekend. Didn't end up going to DC because the weather was miserable, but I found some places to go during my days off. So far, so good.

Yeah, I'll make sure that #4 gets checked before they put everything back together.

I already have a friend ready to come pick us up if needed to bring us to the hospital. So we should be OK. It's just that wifey prefers the comfort of our car.

Great to hear that your car is running fine so far. I hope it'll stay that way :).

Archived