LegacyGT.com

Found hidden radio function.

Bbc84

I think that having the SRS function ON should be default from factory, and that it shouldn't even be an option to turn on or off. Just should be on.

Thats what I thought. Imagine driving the car for 6 months with the SRS off.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried getting some SRS feedback back in Feb 07. Not enough 07+ around to really get a good sampling.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55697

I've tuned my system (3sixty2) and SRS still makes an significant impact. When listening to CD's, I generally leave SRS off. However, when listening to my iPod through AUX in, SRS helps when the quality of the mp3 is poor.

However, don't you think your first post was a bit belligerent in tone?

yes i do.

stock system does sound decent though. it's listenable imo. i am more of a krell guy. that should give you an idea how i like my music.

for an analogy...

i't be like someone saying the chevy cavalier is the best handling car ever built.

i think it's give and take. if someone posted a street race, how do you think they would "react"?

on a side note...what player do you use?i have only around 5 records that i have yet to play. bought them and been meaning to get a player for 8+ years now but haven't. no reason. i end up buying other stuff.

I've tuned my system (3sixty2) and SRS still makes an significant impact. When listening to CD's, I generally leave SRS off. However, when listening to my iPod through AUX in, SRS helps when the quality of the mp3 is poor.

I think SRS does have it's place. I listen to my Ipod 90% of the time (most of which I have ripped from my personal music collection), and my satalite radio the other 10%. CD's are clumsy and inviting to thieves, so I have yet to play one in my car.

I think that after starting the SRS the system levels shoul be readjusted to fully appreciate the sound. I don't listen to jazz.. opera... I like rockabilly, and would not use SRS to enjoy it. However, when I'm rockin out to Cake, I think the SRS improves the listening experience.

I feel like an idiot. I read all about the SRS system in the SOA ads, the manual, etc. Just figured it was defaulted "on". But no. I ran out to try this after reading this thread and WHOA! What a difference! I have the stock subwoofer installed under the passenger seat and you could always tell it was there...a little...but now it makes a HUGE difference! Thanks for the find - and yes, read the manual. I get it.

I feel like an idiot. I read all about the SRS system in the SOA ads, the manual, etc. Just figured it was defaulted "on". But no. I ran out to try this after reading this thread and WHOA! What a difference! I have the stock subwoofer installed under the passenger seat and you could always tell it was there...a little...but now it makes a HUGE difference! Thanks for the find - and yes, read the manual. I get it.

im glad i read that article in the Drive magazine and went looking for it.

SRS clears things up a bit, its definitely preferable to the stock pre-07 stereo.

to Richard B: I am no audiophile by any means, but the stock system has the richness of a Zenith clock radio. I don't have a home theater system either, but I know that SRS sounds better than no SRS.

Did everyone know that SRS thing was there?

I'll own up: I didn't until I saw this thread. So I'm grateful, because the crappy audio was one of my two big gripes about the Legacy. The sound is better now, but still not worthy of this fine car (nowhere near as good as the factory Bose system on my 2000 Accord). Diddling with the fader helped, too.

So now I have one big gripe left and I'll press my luck: is there a secret button that makes the HVAC function properly?

moshulu

Guest JessterCPA
What I want to say is that the best sounding system isn’t in the cost of the equipment ... it’s in the listener’s ear. What ever sounds good to you is the best sounding equipment. If the $200.00 system sounds good to you… buy it. If the $100,000.00 system sounds good to you and you can afford it… buy it. Just wanted to put in my two cents…

Thank you!! Someone with my thoughts exactly. I used to sell equipment in a mid-level electronics store. People would ask me "Is that speaker 2 way or 3 way?" I would ask them, "Do you like how it sounds?" That's all that matters.

I've heard great $200 speakers. I have heard dreadful $7,000 speakers. That was my opinion. I bet someone owns those $7,000 speakers & loves them. They just weren't for me.

Jesse

Richard, it would have been possible to make your points without being a total a$$hole....

+28

This Richard B noob can't help but be abrasive online. He's compensating for something lacking in his real life.

I think I know what he's compensating for

you don't know what loud is till you have a 1k+ watt stereo in your home. loud is your apt resonating with a super deep bass hit. loud is your lights in your residence flickering with every bass note.
God bless the joy of home ownership.And not having to have an AudioPhile tool as a neighbor.

Oh and thanks OP...SRS ....engaged!

I'll own up: I didn't until I saw this thread. So I'm grateful, because the crappy audio was one of my two big gripes about the Legacy. The sound is better now, but still not worthy of this fine car (nowhere near as good as the factory Bose system on my 2000 Accord). Diddling with the fader helped, too.

So now I have one big gripe left and I'll press my luck: is there a secret button that makes the HVAC function properly?

moshulu

not to pick you out and not that its not better than the scooby sound system but ive never been overly enamored with Bose audio products myself. seem to be a lot more gimic and name than actual result. My two favorite companies for car audio are Kicker and Memphis. And I think Alpine makes the best decks but speakers & ams i go for the other two companies

ive never been overly enamored with Bose audio products myself. seem to be a lot more gimic and name than actual result.

I respect your opinion, and I know that many people don't care for Bose products. But my old system (stock 2000 Accord) had a very sweet sound. I listen to classical music at moderate volume. My goal is to reproduce a concert hall experience, and Bose came pretty close. I have used their noise-cancelling headphones for years on airplanes, and they are excellent. I don't know about those pricey tabletop radios, but I suspect that a lot of people are repelled by the stupid magazine ads.

I'm an audiophile of sorts (I have made several vacuum-tube amplifiers for my home system using the finest "boutique" components, I built my own battery-powered digital-to-analog converter, braided my own speaker cables, ripped an entire CD collection, etc.) and I strongly believe that there is no excuse for bad audio in a car. This is why I am so down on Subaru. A car is a small, naturally-resonant enclosure, so you don't need a lot of power that creates distortion. My Legacy is a very quiet ride, even at French highway speeds of 90MPH+, so there is potential for real audio greatness. At the power levels that we are talking about, linear, noise-free amplification is not that big a deal, so it really looks like Subaru has skimped on quality speakers, and tried to make up for it by boosting the bass and treble via the SRS deal (that's what it sounds like to me). Shame on them!

I personally think it sounds better than nothing at all.

Good point. Presumably, you would be content with a Legacy that was powered by an aquarium pump. It would run better than nothing at all...

Plus I'm the one driving it so my opinion is all that matters.

Yes. Your opinion is all that matters.

At the power levels that we are talking about, linear, noise-free amplification is not that big a deal, so it really looks like Subaru has skimped on quality speakers, and tried to make up for it by boosting the bass and treble via the SRS deal (that's what it sounds like to me). Shame on them!

+1.

SRS is a poor bandaid for an average system. I think it sounds like poo, but...

If other people like SRS, great. I like lots of salt on my food - it affects the "natural" taste of the underlying victuals, but I like it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
ok them...ALL OF YOU...what makes it sound "better"? tell me why. explain to me the intricate details.

please for the love of gawd, post what system you have at home and what your dream system is and why.

i have listened to 90k$ speakers. listened to 12k$ cables.

you don't know what soundstage is...nothing.

I stand in silent awe at your audiophilic superiority. Please.... teach me.

Begging people to whip their home audio penises out for comparison to your mighty unit? Damn, dude... get a life.

If you need $12,000 audio cables to feel significant, have at it, but don't think for a second that your opinion matters to anyone but yourself. Go look in the mirror and practice sounding superior some more. After you've got it all down, feel free to head down to your basement and sit alone in the dark basking in sheer audio perfection. Don't look to get back online and insult the OP anymore though, chances are he'll be out with friends. :lol:

Begging people to whip their home audio penises out for comparison to your mighty unit? Damn, dude... get a life.

If you need $12,000 audio cables to feel significant, have at it, but don't think for a second that your opinion matters to anyone but yourself. Go look in the mirror and practice sounding superior some more. After you've got it all down, feel free to head down to your basement and sit alone in the dark basking in sheer audio perfection. Don't look to get back online and insult the OP anymore though, chances are he'll be out with friends. :lol:

:whore: Very well put. this idiotic attitude in just about every post is extremely tiring now...

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Just had the have the last word, didn't you? What was that post... like... 30 posts back? Come on. Drop it. :rolleyes:

Archived