LegacyGT.com

Found hidden radio function.

Bbc84

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have looked into that thread and felt that it was a little too much for me to deal with.

I also don't want to have to configure something to work like that...i would rather have something a little more basic.

I am interested in the products from highline audio though...:wub:

What's up, Richard?

*stir stir*

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers

Posted Mar 3rd 2008 8:03PM by Nilay Patel

Filed under: Home Entertainment

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/03/3-2-08-monster-hanges.jpgdigg_url = 'http://digg.com/hardware/MonsterCable_vs_CoatHanger_Audiophiles_can_t_see_difference'; We've always believed that the perceived quality boost that comes from using high-end cables is really just a trick of the mind (read: justifying the ridiculous cost of premium cables to yourself) -- if you've dropped enough cash, you can probably hear anything you want. Still, our belief is one thing -- cold hard proof is another, and it looks like a group of 12 self-professed "audiophiles" recently couldn't tell the difference between Monster 1000 speaker cables and plain old coat hangers. Yeah, coat hangers. The group was A-Bing different cables, and unbeknownst to them, the engineer running the test swapped out a set of cables for coat hangers with soldered-on speaker connections. Not a single one was then able to tell the difference between the Monster Cable and the hangers, and all agreed that the hangers sounded excellent. No wonder Monster has to rig HD displays. Still, we bet people still fall for the hype -- oh hey, if you're looking for the ultimate in sound, we've got half a meter of oxygen-free, triple-wrapped double-insulated Sonically Shielded AmpliSized Egyptian Llama cable here that we'll part ways with for just a couple grand

I have looked into that thread and felt that it was a little too much for me to deal with.

I also don't want to have to configure something to work like that...i would rather have something a little more basic.

I am interested in the products from highline audio though...:wub:[/quote

It's actually quite easy and fairly inexpensive. That Highline stuff looks nice. But, $$$$$$$$$$

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

At risk of reigniting this flame festival (and sitting back and enjoying the show again). I offer my findings. The year is 1989, your are a young lad and your parents take you to your uncles house. Your uncle being single and in his 30s has lots of cash to blow on the latest gadgets. You sit down in his house as he shows you his brand spanking new sound system. You are amazed at how good it sounds (being 8 you dont know any better). You wander over to his brand new 8 band eq and what do you see... SRS... oh I mean a 'smiley face'.

Today I played a song for about 30 seconds before realizing in essence what Subaru is doing. You can try it your self to see. Put the Bass up to +6 leave the mids and raise the treb to +6. Its nearly the same 'effect' and one of the oldest tricks in the book. While I agree with the people that said 'the best system for you is the one that sounds the best to you', I also in the same breath have to say there is a standard of what sounds good and what sounds like crap. Lets use food for example, there is a proper amount of salt to use when seasoning food, and no your mom doesn't know how much that is. If you get a group of trained chefs (not the guy that worked his way up from a dish washer) together and have them try the same dish, they will all tell you if the proper amt of seasoning was applied, if it was bland like card board, or salty like the dead sea. Regardless of what an untrained person thinks there is a standard. When you're cooking at home you can do what ever you want. But in the grand scheme of things there is a right and wrong. Shows like (as much as I hate it) American idol show this (to an extent) people go on THEY think they sound great, and you know what they suck. But wait their friends and parents think they are the coolest thing ev4r. That is because their loved ones don't know any better. They don't know there is a standard. Now to attempt to tie this all in together (I'm a little tired so I hope I'm making sense). In LISTENING to music there is a standard. It could sound GREAT to you but based on the standard (and I assure you there is one) it sounds like crap. I can guarantee that a pair of near field monitors in a properly dampened room will sound better than any of your home theater systems 1000k or not. Why because if configured correctly you hear the true sound of what the album was supposed to sound like. This passed weekend I reconfigured the sound system of an 1800 seat hall. The first thing I did was have the house engineer run the sound as he normally would. And you know what, to him and his buddies it sounded ok. I would have agreed if I didnt know any better. But the room was Eqed like crap there was a very shoddy wiring job which no one there even noticed because they dont know what shoddy wiring sounds like, among other things. Example the monster cable (which I think are crap) and coat hanger thing. Most of the time you there is

'no' difference unless either you run a power cable parallel to it, or you put the volume up high enough with nothing playing. I'm tired so I'm not going to continue. I hope I at least half made my point.

CN: People can do what ever they want to their own crap. But there is right way and a wrong way, your way is most likely wrong. Next time you visit the nuclear power plant you tell the engineers how to do there job because you like your way better and find out why your way sucks.

Just for the record I'm not trying to rant on anyone here. Its just something i have to deal with all the time and it drives me crazy. I get hired to go into a place to fix their sub par PA system and then get told by the house engineer that it sounds good to him 'dont touch my eq its the way I like it' so I just have a small bit of pent up rage. This has been some good therapy for me. I'll be back same time next week, and I'll bring the doughnuts and coffee. :spin:

Next time you visit the nuclear power plant you tell the engineers how to do there job because you like your way better and find out why your way sucks.

Haha thats sort of hilarious to me, because I actually am an engineer running a nuclear plant :lol: so I guess I'm in the clear

CN: People can do what ever they want to their own crap. But there is right way and a wrong way, your way is most likely wrong. Next time you visit the nuclear power plant you tell the engineers how to do there job because you like your way better and find out why your way sucks.

What is wrong is to say your subjectivity is the be-all-end-all or Gospel for someone else and try to jam it down their throats. If you wanted to state what did properly, you'd give some objective examples not more take-it-any-way-you-like-it comments. For example: there is a wrong way of (1) loading a breech (2) fertilizing an egg (3) determining the circumference of a circle given the diameter (4) inducing nuclear fission blaa, blaa, etc. etc.

Your a sound engineer or whatever? Great! I'm sure your good at your craft. I don't discount it. However, sound is subjective like art. What sounds like crap to one doesn't necessarily sound like crap to another. When Jimi started overdriving his tubes to the point of wild distortion, how many people shrieked and hated it do you think? Others thought differently didn't they? Take a look at some Jackson Pollock paintings. I assure you, my 9 year old could recreate some of those in a very similar fashion. Get the point?

SRS may sound like shit to you. I don't like it myself personally. That's fantastic! Everyone that can detect so gets another silver medal. You cannot walk around and emphatically state that someone else that thinks it's grand, is an idiot and not come off as one yourself.

:rolleyes:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

What is wrong is to say your subjectivity is the be-all-end-all or Gospel for someone else and try to jam it down their throats.

I said whatever someone wants to do with their radio is totally up to them, I mean its their raido. I just dont want some one trying to tell me that when you take a well (or not so well) produced song hack out the mid range so it seems to make it louder, more crisp, or what ever the claim, that its making the song sound better. Some people live in a world (and I deal with them almost every day) where to them music is crap unless the bass is knocking planes out of the sky. To them it doesnt matter that the bass is so loud that the rest of the song turns to mud they like it that way, there is a place for that, and its their car. But in any type of 'professional' environment and I'm not talking your local night club or bar that doesnt (or please God it shouldnt) fly. Its like saying Subaru installed those little $1 sound effects machines that they randomly insert sounds into reggae songs on hot 97 with to make your music sound better. Im sure to some one (who ever started that crap atleast) it sounds cool. Blah blah blah. Im sick of ranting.

However, sound is subjective like art. What sounds like crap to one doesn't necessarily sound like crap to another. When Jimi started overdriving his tubes to the point of wild distortion, how many people shrieked and hated it do you think? Others thought differently didn't they? Take a look at some Jackson Pollock paintings. I assure you, my 9 year old could recreate some of those in a very similar fashion. Get the point?

I guess if you want to say that SRS has REINVENTED the way sound is reproduced then on that premise you're totally right, I just lack the vision to see it. While sound is subjective you wouldnt EQ for say classical the same way you would for rock, because it would sound bad. Nothing subjective about that, coming from an industry point of view. At home I usually like to run my sound system on the same circut as my dimmer switch because I like the buzz. But Id never do that for someone I was consulting for.

SRS may sound like shit to you. I don't like it myself personally. That's fantastic! Everyone that can detect so gets another silver medal. You cannot walk around and emphatically state that someone else that thinks it's grand, is an idiot and not come off as one yourself.

:rolleyes:

Im not saying anyone is an idiot. Its just my general, rant for someone that tells me a terrible EQ curve sounds good 'to them'. It does(nt) really apply to the general public. If your mom wants to make lumpy gravy at home because thats all she knows thats cool, but dont bring it to a restaurant.

Again, my rant wasnt really targeting people here. Now who wants to be the first to tell me this sounds good:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1izlxbed9z0

If you guys want I can rant on mp3s and how vinyl is better too :p.

dbrunone: Im glad I was able to amuse you :lol:.

[...]

In LISTENING to music there is a standard. It could sound GREAT to you but based on the standard (and I assure you there is one) it sounds like crap.

[...]

Thanks for your post, but I wonder whether you could elaborate a bit on this, since it goes to the heart of the whole debate. Can you say more about the "standard". How is it defined and by whom? For a given sound, can you measure the degree of departure from the "standard"? How?

Seems to me that one problem is that, for most music. no one can credibly say how it is SUPPOSED to sound. This is particularly true for "popular" music, as opposed to classical. I mean, basically, loud rock and pop. The instant that it is created (often by performers of dubious abilities), it is heavily processed through lots of electronic devices. If it is recorded at a live concert, it gets distorted by over-amplification, imperfect speakers and acoustics, crowd noise, etc. Then it gets endlessly diddled with by engineeers in the studio. So who is to say what the correct or original sound is? Where is the "standard"? You could say it's the waveform on the final recording, but that already contains a lot of arbitrary and subjective modifications. What is to prevent the listener from adjusting his system to produce a "better" sound (i.e., being a final engineer)? Is it just that, in your view, the opinion of the recorders (artists, engineers) is inherently worth more than that of the listeners? Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?

The above does not really apply to classical music (or something like acoustic guitar/voice) because most people who reproduce the music at home have also heard something similar in a high-quality concert hall, so maybe talking about a "standard" makes sense.

What do you think?

Having an 06 I have no clue how this SRS sounds but after following this lovely thread I think its safe to say that the SRS function is an attempt to simply "polish a turd". The factory system is average at best and some people may like the sound change this button creates. Honestly... SRS is a lot cheaper way for Subaru to make the customer think they have a better stereo then actually offering a high-end factory stereo. Its just a button, use it or dont use it:spin:

Having an 06 I have no clue how this SRS sounds but after following this lovely thread I think its safe to say that the SRS function is an attempt to simply "polish a turd". The factory system is average at best and some people may like the sound change this button creates. Honestly... SRS is a lot cheaper way for Subaru to make the customer think they have a better stereo then actually offering a high-end factory stereo. Its just a button, use it or dont use it:spin:

+1. Absolutely.

Thanks for your post, but I wonder whether you could elaborate a bit on this, since it goes to the heart of the whole debate. Can you say more about the "standard". How is it defined and by whom? For a given sound, can you measure the degree of departure from the "standard"? How?

Seems to me that one problem is that, for most music. no one can credibly say how it is SUPPOSED to sound. This is particularly true for "popular" music, as opposed to classical. I mean, basically, loud rock and pop. The instant that it is created (often by performers of dubious abilities), it is heavily processed through lots of electronic devices. If it is recorded at a live concert, it gets distorted by over-amplification, imperfect speakers and acoustics, crowd noise, etc. Then it gets endlessly diddled with by engineeers in the studio. So who is to say what the correct or original sound is? Where is the "standard"? You could say it's the waveform on the final recording, but that already contains a lot of arbitrary and subjective modifications. What is to prevent the listener from adjusting his system to produce a "better" sound (i.e., being a final engineer)? Is it just that, in your view, the opinion of the recorders (artists, engineers) is inherently worth more than that of the listeners? Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?

The above does not really apply to classical music (or something like acoustic guitar/voice) because most people who reproduce the music at home have also heard something similar in a high-quality concert hall, so maybe talking about a "standard" makes sense.

What do you think?

There are certainly absolutes, objective measurements that you can baseline and reference with other systems/components... things like S/NR, DB at certain positions/distances, harmonic distortion, frequency response, etc. These are clearly finite and tangible - 100%. Balance of multiple components, interpreting these measurements, and applying processing as they relate to the final sound, regardless of genre, is both an art and science and is therefore subjective.

:cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I had my 08' LGT since September, and the radio system sounded bad compared to my other cars that Ive driven. I had almost all the setting set to max, and there was still not enough bass for me. I was planning on getting OEM sub to fill it in. Until today I was reading a old issue of Driven and it said the new Imprezzas and Legacy have SRS radio, and can turn it on and off, so i searched my manual and found that if I hold the "AUDIO" button, SRS will come on and a little symbol would light up.

Typical Chicago Dealership Delivery.:rolleyes:

(Naperville, IL).

Title: Senior Contributor Location: Naperville, IL Car: 08' SWP LGT

That's who to blame.

Your Salesperson.

Either you were in a big hurry and he threw you the keys (He probably missed if he was emulating Rex Grossman) across the showroom floor...

Or he didn't know about it either.

Typical Chicago Dealership Delivery.:rolleyes:

(Naperville, IL).

Title: Senior Contributor Location: Naperville, IL Car: 08' SWP LGT

That's who to blame.

Your Salesperson.

Either you were in a big hurry and he threw you the keys (He probably missed if he was emulating Rex Grossman) across the showroom floor...

Or he didn't know about it either.

we didnt go through anything, car rolled off the truck they cleaned it up and did inspection or whatever. I signed paperwork, and he gave me the car manual and I was on my way. I guess I should of read the manual...

Sorry about taking a while to post been really busy. I'll try to keep the brief.

Generally for sound reproduction (or sound reenforcement/live settings) there are a few standards that can't really be argued. These go in no particular order, usually these rules apply to commercial venues and not your car. I'll leave out the ones to do with live performances and room acoustics.

A sound system should:

Sound as natural as possible (tonal quality which does not "color" the sound)

Sound as clear as possible (intelligibility)

Have every sound source reproduced at the volume which is appropriate for that sound. (this would really apply to either live sound or a guy with surround sound with his sub turned all the way up making too much bass)

Finally, and very important in terms of live sound (usually) but you can see how it factors in here.

Go un-noticed (A perfect sound system should not be noticed by the audience). - It should be translucent.

moshulu:

As far as live recording goes the sound is usually split off into a different board and mixed there separately like a studio. Difference being that a studio is a controlled environment so you get a better sound (this is where the subjectiveness comes in)- even tho sometimes it can sound sterile compared to live. But as far as all that bad speakers and over amping goes, unless you are a guy trying to make a bootleg to your cassette player these days that isnt much of a factor anymore.

Yes all music these days is heavily processed. But (usually unless its some crazy techno stuff) the point of that is (as ironic as it may seem) to make it sound as natural as possible, and/or to make it sound how it 'should' sound. As far as all that stuff goes there is a standard as well- I don't work for a mastering house so I can't really tell you what it is. But every wonder why every cd sounds the same and every song on the radio is over compressed and LOUD. Its to meet the standard for that medium. What I do know is as far as sound reproduction goes, you would use the finished product as the baseline-a cd for example- and try to get it to sound as unadulterated as possible. Tho this doesn't apply to SRS and our cars in a live setting sometimes (just about all times) you have to cut several frequencies to account for bad room acoustics to prevent feedback, and also you want to eliminate reverb that would cause intelligibility or alike. Hope some of that helped, I'm kinda rushing so forgive me if it doesn't all make sense.

-Ed

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
my 5 year old factory paper cones are still rockin, sounds better than my wifes toyota camry LE factory, Would really like some Pioneer PRS speakers and amp, I love the way pioneer PRS sounds..... lets zap this thread back to life :)

I upgraded from the 2005 unit to the 2008 unit with SRS.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it sounds worse with the SRS disabled than the 05 system. I have a feeling it is done that way on purpose to push the SRS feature even more.

Way to bump up a 3 year old thread!

Ya know what? I'm glad he did. Otherwise I'd never have read through the whole enchilada. Bickering aside, there's some very good information contained within!

Archived