LegacyGT.com

Legacy TurboDiesel Review

mcumeda

Here is a review for the European Legacy Turbodiesel. It says that it probably won't be coming to the US or Japan anytime soon, but hope remains. Here are some highlights:

The boxer diesel produces 148 horsepower at 3,600 rpm and 258 pound-feet of torque at just 1,800 rpm. The engine is capable of 60.5 mpg.

In top gear, the diesel takes 23.4 seconds to accelerate from 50 to 100 mph, a veritable sprint compared with the 37.0 seconds it takes a Legacy with a normally aspirated 2.0-liter gasoline engine to accomplish the same feat.

As with almost every European turbodiesel, the Subaru employs common-rail technology for the new engine. The turbocharger is mounted below the engine and connected directly to the catalytic converter, an installation that's becoming more common in all kinds of engines because it promotes quicker light-off for the catalyst.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124553?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is good news to hear especially if it came with a 6 speed, but Subaru should really consider having a more performance oriented I-drive to boost hp and torque a little when you want to. Then you'd have the best of both worlds not to mention there needs to be a manual wagon version too. Unfortunately the price will probably be too high to justify buying these vehicles. A 2.5i can get 400 mi to tank driving on the highway and 300-320 mi in city driving which is good for an AWD vehicle. If Subaru can pull this one off and offer the vehicle at a good price it'll be a money maker. This turbodiesel need to come to the states as a 2.5 with a manual wagon option. Subaru don't screw this one up!!!

This turbodiesel need to come to the states as a 2.5 with a manual wagon option. Subaru don't screw this one up!!!

Hell, I'd buy it in the U.S. as a 2.0 MT wagon. It has plenty of torque already and the gas mileage is great! I'd turn the 2.0TD into my commuter/mountain bike car and use my 2.5GT wagon as a fun car. :wub:

I would buy one. I'm already planning on looking at the VW Tiguan TDI and the Honda Accord Diesel (Turbo?) when they come out. I'm interested in running biodiesel. Not necessarily for the treehugger aspect of it, but more the for FU to dependence upon foreign oil.

At present, the engine will not meet California's stringent air emissions regulations. "We would only introduce the car in the U.S. if it was legal in every state," says Yamamoto. "Meeting the California legislation is very hard and very expensive. We are researching it, but there is no timetable." Subaru estimates that fitting the particulate filter needed to make the engine fully compliant would add around $1,500 to the price of the car.

Damn you CARB!!! Hopefully EPA wins it's case against Cali and CARB can go the way of dodo bird.

Im not sure what the cost are to certify the diesel but if Subaru got to the party before some of the big dogs did with their diesels ( and trust me its coming) they would likely win plenty of sales.

I could see the marketing bragging rights now .... AWD , Consumer Reports praise AND 50 MPG !

Hell, I'd buy it in the U.S. as a 2.0 MT wagon. It has plenty of torque already and the gas mileage is great! I'd turn the 2.0TD into my commuter/mountain bike car and use my 2.5GT wagon as a fun car. :wub:

The new diesel is unlikely to be stretched in future, the cylinder bore spacings are closer than the 2.0 petrol - to make the engine a couple of inches shorter than the EJ - that does mean that a 3.0 H6D would be very compact, if they ever make one.

The new diesel is unlikely to be stretched in future, the cylinder bore spacings are closer than the 2.0 petrol - to make the engine a couple of inches shorter than the EJ - that does mean that a 3.0 H6D would be very compact, if they ever make one.
The cylinder bore spacing, technically called cylinder pitch, of the turbo diesel is identical to that of the EL15 (used in the Impreza), the EZ30 (used in the Legacy) and the EZ36 (used in the Tribeca). The turbo diesel engine is 61.3 mm (2.41 in) shorter than an EJ20 engine.

Good news the design is compact. 3.0L diesel would be sweet. I really do hope they are working on one.

I am sure the 2.0 diesel is nice, but I am afraid it would not cut it after coming from 2.5 turbo gasser.

It is between Audi, BMW & Subaru for me. Who ever gets a AWD Diesel Manual wagon to the states first gets my wallet.

Cheers,

Mike

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

So far it looks like the Passat diesel wagon available in 09!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived