LegacyGT.com

Legacy TurboDiesel Review

mcumeda

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Subaru "Boxer" DNA is certainly there, but this looks like some of the H-6's front timing change cover and metallurgy technology might have made it into this new variant.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5pvJ1Udvk&NR=1]YouTube - Subaru Diesel Engine スãƒãƒ«ã€€ãƒ‡ã‚£ãƒ¼ã‚¼ãƒ«ã‚¨ãƒ³ã‚¸ãƒ³ã€€ãƒ¨ã‚³ãƒãƒž[/ame]

I'd certainly consider one, especially with that much torque in stock form.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2008/subaru.legacy.turbo.diesel/08.subaru.legacy.td.wagon.prf.500.jpg

Isn't it pretty... no stupid overhanging front bumper, no stupid raised roof humps with rails.... and a nice diesel inside with an MT box to command it :wub:

I've been waiting for Mercedes to come out w/ a 50-state legal version of their E320 Bluetec, but it'd still be: a) a sedan and b) an automatic. If Subie brings a MT turbodiesel wagon to the U.S., I will be forced to cross the Bluetec off my want list. :lol:

There is another diesel wagon that's coming to the States before E320 or the Subaru. VW is selling the Jetta Sportwagen 2.0 TDI this year in all 50 states. It's suppose to get mid-50's on the highway. I know, I know, it's a VW and FWD but it's going to beat the other diesels to the party.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/08/diesel-vw-jetta-sportwagen-a-real-fuel-sipper/

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/03/vw-adds-jetta-sportwagen-pricing-to-site/

http://www.vw.com/jettasportwagen/features/en/us/

I think that Subaru is going to do really well moneywise with the diesel if sold in the US. Even if in limited #'s the demand will be high like TDI's as there are so few choices available in the US. Couple that to a decent mileage AWD its a unique entry out there. If they can release it for starting at mid - upper $20k range they have a winner. If it ever appears it looks like my next car after my 04 WRX wagon. It should be the inverse of power curve compared to the WRX's 2.0L.

the new cafe standards are probably pushing this. They built a diesel so just stick that in as an option and it will raise the average for all the rest, so I'm not surprised they are offering it. Plus a diesel h6 will make using Subarus for towing a bit easier, which will appeal to the camping people.

Isn't it pretty... no stupid overhanging front bumper, no stupid raised roof humps with rails.... and a nice diesel inside with an MT box to command it :wub:

Leave the roof rails!

Some of us have things to mount to those rails. As much as I like putting my bike in the boot, I can carry 5 on the roof. ;)

<<< ;):lol: :lol:

Yes, it sure is pretty with no overhangs but I sure wouldn't want to pay for all the damage in a slow speed fender bender. It's expensive enough as it is.

To keep it on topic. I would buy one in a heartbeat! Especially an H6 TD.

I don't know what people are thinking buying all these damn hybrids. :spin: :spin:

Leave the roof rails!

Some of us have things to mount to those rails. As much as I like putting my bike in the boot, I can carry 5 on the roof. ;)

Yes, it sure is pretty with no overhangs but I sure wouldn't want to pay for all the damage in a slow speed fender bender. It's expensive enough as it is.

<<< ;):lol: :lol:

To keep it on topic. I would buy one in a heartbeat! Especially an H6 TD.

I don't know what people are thinking buying all these damn hybrids. :spin: :spin:

It has roof fails, just flush type. Our Legacy has the stupid Outback roof with humps.

If you want humps look at the wagons that our '05's replaced.

OK, I didn't realize the rails where flush. Still, I like our semi-flush rails. The Outback's have real rails, raised up off the roof.

Yes, it's all subjective. ;)

Humps. Do not want! :nono:

I know pre-2005 Outback roof was ridiculous. I don't mind out rails, I don't like the humps. Rails can be easily removed, humps not so much.

I like to get one of these things,but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.I did alot of research before I bought the OBXT,so it makes it alittle easier to understand why we'll never get them.New 07 had no cat in the up-pipe,Si drive,DGM paint,new style gauges,"XM ready",and I like the Cherry faux wood ,over the all too familiar silver painted trims.

Time to pull the trigger.Then I bit-by-bit find out that I lacks alot of features that certain economy cars offer.And then delay the realse of new features just help them sell some of the Ugly Grilles on 08's.No reclining rear seat(been in the Rav4's for over 8 yrs) and on the LGT sedans WTF,impossibly small back seat.No "smart key",Telescope on the 08's only,Steering wheel audio/Si controls-08,intergrated key Fob.. and! and! worst of all...the release of the Second Gen 5EAT only in the 08's and not the 07's .WTF was the point of giving us the Si drive at all.And throw in very little performance options on the 07 CAN-BUS untill 2 months ago.It's as if the guinea pig

And now I read about this diesel that we will most likely never see.Looks good,handles very well,AWD,great MPG's.I think VW or Volvo...hell maybe even Dymler/Chrysler Corp might beat them to it.Bad business decisions will stymie this.Plus Politics,CARB and the EPA.A car can leak 5qts of oil a day and pass for SI,but a CEL on for a Purge VSV fails.

amazing if they get it right the first time.

Rails can be easily removed, humps not so much.

True dat! However, if I had a choice between roof rails (mounted to the strengthening humps) w/cross bars, and a tower w/cross bar setup (e.g., Yakima, Thule), I'd prefer the hump-mounted roof rail. IMHO, there's just something to be said about the inherent strenth in that design, especially when you've got a 100+ lb cargo box up there. Aesthetically unatractive - somewhat, sturdy/strong - definitely.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I like to get one of these things,but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.I did alot of research before I bought the OBXT,so it makes it alittle easier to understand why we'll never get them.New 07 had no cat in the up-pipe,Si drive,DGM paint,new style gauges,"XM ready",and I like the Cherry faux wood ,over the all too familiar silver painted trims.

Time to pull the trigger.Then I bit-by-bit find out that I lacks alot of features that certain economy cars offer.And then delay the realse of new features just help them sell some of the Ugly Grilles on 08's.No reclining rear seat(been in the Rav4's for over 8 yrs) and on the LGT sedans WTF,impossibly small back seat.No "smart key",Telescope on the 08's only,Steering wheel audio/Si controls-08,intergrated key Fob.. and! and! worst of all...the release of the Second Gen 5EAT only in the 08's and not the 07's .WTF was the point of giving us the Si drive at all.And throw in very little performance options on the 07 CAN-BUS untill 2 months ago.It's as if the guinea pig

And now I read about this diesel that we will most likely never see.Looks good,handles very well,AWD,great MPG's.I think VW or Volvo...hell maybe even Dymler/Chrysler Corp might beat them to it.Bad business decisions will stymie this.Plus Politics,CARB and the EPA.A car can leak 5qts of oil a day and pass for SI,but a CEL on for a Purge VSV fails.

amazing if they get it right the first time.

:spin::spin::spin:

Holy stream-of-consciousness rant! :lol:

now, why would they want to bring this car into the US, 60+ MPG?? Why?

I think that everyone should drive a HUGE, DURAMAX or whatever they call it FORD TRUCK that gets 5MPG/

Kidding;)

Here is a review for the European Legacy Turbodiesel. It says that it probably won't be coming to the US or Japan anytime soon, but hope remains. Here are some highlights:

The boxer diesel produces 148 horsepower at 3,600 rpm and 258 pound-feet of torque at just 1,800 rpm. The engine is capable of 60.5 mpg.

In top gear, the diesel takes 23.4 seconds to accelerate from 50 to 100 mph, a veritable sprint compared with the 37.0 seconds it takes a Legacy with a normally aspirated 2.0-liter gasoline engine to accomplish the same feat.

As with almost every European turbodiesel, the Subaru employs common-rail technology for the new engine. The turbocharger is mounted below the engine and connected directly to the catalytic converter, an installation that's becoming more common in all kinds of engines because it promotes quicker light-off for the catalyst.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124553?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

Archived